Honorable Way - Achievement/History

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Implementation of a System that recognizes if I play "fair" (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like a History / Achievement System that will give Ingame Information about your Playstile?

1. Yes, I like the idea of beeing rewarded or branded with a small Title according to my Playstile. (16 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. No, I don't like the idea of beeing rewarded or branded with a small Title according to my Playstile. (6 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

I've recently been reading through a Thread with a Poll that asked if Players are going to play fair or if they're going to do whatever is necessary to win.

While there was also some discussion about cheating which was probably not what the OP ment the thing that concerned me the most has been the majority of players willing to go for either head- or legshots which, according to the Books, is not the most Honorable Way of combating a Mech.

So I've been wondering if there's been a plan to recognize those that prefer not to play like that or those that actually do.
I'd really like to brag to my friends or others with, lets say, a history of not legging or headshotting my way up the ranks.
Ultimatively I'd like to see this information available during gameplay so I can act according to the player I'm facing.

I think I also came up with some titles that could go with the Playstile like:
The Mindfull - High percentage of Headshots
The Embracing - High percentage of front Torso shots
The Backup - High percentage of rear Torso shots
The Gunringer - High percentage of Arm/Pod shots
The Dancer - High percentage of Legshots

So what's you opinion on this?

#2 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

MWO is very simulation-heavy. It makes no sense for a simulation to display arbitrary user profile statistics during battle. The aim is to create a HUD and 'Mech controls that as closely as possible mimic what we find in BattleTech canon. Even showing you the names of the enemy players and providing the tab scoreboard is breaking that design paradigm, but it's done for gameplay purposes.

On the other hand, I don't see a gameplay purpose in your suggestion. The largest part of the playerbase would either completely ignore it, or abuse it to shun people who don't play like they think is honorable. What you're essentially creating is a fully automated naming-and-shaming system.

This is a very bad thing.

#3 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

It sounds like nice fluff for Solaris. Definitely something the commentators can use to spice up a cast.

#4 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostDer Zivilist, on 05 July 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

MWO is very simulation-heavy. It makes no sense for a simulation to display arbitrary user profile statistics during battle.

Reading through the BT Wiki they mention if certain Characters have been killed by a stray shot in the Mechs Head so someone must have witnessed it spread the information throughout the Glaxy using FTL Communications.

The aim is to create a HUD and 'Mech controls that as closely as possible mimic what we find in BattleTech canon. Even showing you the names of the enemy players and providing the tab scoreboard is breaking that design paradigm, but it's done for gameplay purposes.

There are Characters in the BT Wiki beeing recognized by the sole pattern of their Camouflage.
Take it as a Gossip talk from Mechwarrior to Mechwarrior like: "Have you heard? There's this Mechwarrior in a Tiger striped Hunchback that keeps killing from behind"

On the other hand, I don't see a gameplay purpose in your suggestion.

The gameplay purpose would be to encourage players to keep the game interesting by not having everyone going for the easy kill on the Legs.

The largest part of the playerbase would either completely ignore it, or abuse it to shun people who don't play like they think is honorable.

Problem beeing? Someone who keeps legging others has made his decision to play like this. Why can't we make ours to not playing with him by having a little peek at his history? BT is a lot about codexes and Mechwarriors not beeing or especially beeing welcomed for things they've done in the past

What you're essentially creating is a fully automated naming-and-shaming system.

This is a very bad thing.

First of all, it wasn't ment to have you beeing displayed as "Zivilist the Dancer" the moment you pop up in my FoV.
I thought more of something like a very small information pane I could activate while having you in my sight like: "I like this guy's playstile... Maybe I should ask him to join our Clan called Capoeira!"

Anyway... You reap what you sow, right? At least I tried to come up with some funny and I believe quite neutral Titles.
Could have been more biased about the one for Leggers.

#5 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yep, you tried to be creative.

You also asked for people's opinions :)

At the very least, it seems like several other posters do not share my concerns and like your idea. However, I personally am still not convinced that it's a good plan to implement this.

#6 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

@Zivi
It is more than likely that this game will play a role in eSports. Commentators usually work with the information at hand and the more the better. Additional information such as OP suggested can serve to bridge gaps when the pace of a fight slows down. That's where the commentators can pull out statistics and try to gauge the progress of the match. It's quite an art and I'm not the one to oppose suggestions that limit their available tools. While I agree that it's not so important outside of Solaris and can be even detrimental as you have pointed out, it becomes important in a competitive environment and even more so when people watch the games that have varying degrees of knowledge about the game. It could be intriguing for outsiders to learn the lingo that is used in such casts and draw them into the game. And if not, then we can still bet on the outcome of such matches (I hope) and as you know ... uninformed bets are not the best idea.

#7 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Something like this came up before, it could also work both ways, earn yourself a good reputation for playing fair or a 'bad' rep for playing dirty. Could be good for those role players out there and tells you something about the pilots you are dropping with or against.

#8 CmdrSpider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Valid concerns all the way around. I said in the earlier mentioned post I would use whatever fair tactics I had at my disposal to beat my oponent. However my comments come from years of playing multiple styles of this game. On the table top version taking out a players mech with a headshot was a matter of luck (i.e. roll a pair of sixes on two six sided dice) or if taking an aimed shot facing my chances of hitting my were reduced, perhaps causing me to miss the target entirely. In the computer game aimed shots were the way to go and tyou pick your target and takig off a leg was the easiest way to take out a mech.

Consider for a moment in a table top game that simply taking out a mechs leg didn't kill him or even put him out of the fight. A mechwarrior had the chance to stand up (yes it was difficult) and hop around, or he could lay on the ground and continue to fire an arm and head mounted weapons from the prone position. More than once I saw a mech lose to a mech who had lost a leg. In the Novels mechs being taken out by intentional head or legs shots were the exception not the rule. Mech's were often beating to a pulp before the mechwarrior retreated, was forced to eject or succumbed to enemy fire. Hopefully our game will put that same feel into the game and remove easy kill mentality such as legging a mech.

The answer obviously lies in the hands of the devs. I've always believed its easier to hit the torso on a moving target as compaired to the legs or arms. Perhaps the devs have worked that into their computations for figuring out how often you hit the target in the choosen location. While any weapon will do damage, the weapons of this future universe are plagued with poor targeting systems. So why should we expect the game to give us a hit everytime we point at a specific spot on a mech. Perhaps a little random generation would give us all a degree of uncertainty in any battle we entered and biggerbang for our C-Bill.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users