Will They Ever Nerf The Huginn?

96 replies to this topic

#61 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 14 July 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

Just going by TT, where moving fast (especially with jets) actually made you hard to hit. Here a light taps the jets and becomes easier to hit, plus every mech in the game pretty much can follow their motion with torso-twist, or twist+turn.

Of course in TT the lights were either there as a sacrificial piece that was worth a fraction of an assault, a late-moving alpha-striker (like TT jenner) supposed to move into a mech's back arc and unload without threat of return fire due to the initiative system, or something to run down the enemy infantry/light vehicles with.

[edit] What I'm getting at here is that compared to TT lights cost more (1 light=1 assault=1 pilot), are easier to hit, don't have the advantages of sequential movement, and don't have any light targets to hit. They need to have something to make them them worth using.

[edit 2] I know that in TT all mechs were similar in size, heck take a look at the Arbiter, a 35ton mech made up to look like a heavy.

Speed in TT had zero impact on you getting hit. It effected your movement hexes, and that was about it basically.

Consider too, in TT, a *REALLY* fast light was 110-120 kph...you had some outliers like the ACH at 129 and the Firemoth in the 160s with burst to 216

#62 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostGreyNovember, on 14 July 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

You want a Huginn nerf?

Okay.

I'd like to keep my horrific autorockets strapped to my two side torsos. Those things are FUN.

In return, I ditch the cooling quirks; infact, I'd be fine if they were in NEGATIVES, as in I'd heat up even more if I did any of that circling and face rocketing. This way I can only ever launch off, at most? 3 alphas until the next one threatened to shut me down at 95% if I was in Terra Therma.

Mind you 3 Alphas that spread over the enemy mech's body. That can spread more if he catches me lining him up.

But I had still better be able to strike fear into you with those 3 alphas. If you don't want me to be able to seriously wound an assault 1 on 1, I want to force that assault to look behind him because of the rapid impacts to his backside. Then I can run away and pull back to my team to cool down.

Sound fair?

actually, yes. But you should be striking fear by putting those in someones back. When you go face to face with an assault, and cause fear, in a Light? Something is wrong.

#63 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

When I'm driving a fattie, the Huggin I DON'T see until he's tearing the back of my mech off is the one I fear. The one's I see I fear not..........I can pour some fire in them.

When I'm driving a Huggin, the LAST thing I want to do is face tank a fattie.......makes for a short match. :D

#64 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostGyrok, on 14 July 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

Speed in TT had zero impact on you getting hit. It effected your movement hexes, and that was about it basically.

Consider too, in TT, a *REALLY* fast light was 110-120 kph...you had some outliers like the ACH at 129 and the Firemoth in the 160s with burst to 216

There's a penalty to-hit in TT based on the movement (in hexes) of the target, with a +1 difficulty if the target used jumpjets.

So you're just straight up wrong.

#65 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 14 July 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

There's a penalty to-hit in TT based on the movement (in hexes) of the target, with a +1 difficulty if the target used jumpjets.

So you're just straight up wrong.

True. As a light you tried to move 7 hexes which meant the max. modifier of +3 of getting hit. If you had a wood or something as cover, you were no easy target.

#66 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostYokiLin, on 14 July 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

Srm4 cooldown time is 3sec,
huginn Quiks is, srm4 +25%, misslle weapons cooldown +25%, srm4 cooldown mod is 12%

Srm4 cooldown time on huggin is = 3" * (1 - 0.25 ) * ( 1-0.25) * (1-0.12) = 1.485sec

2srm4 = 17.2

17.2 / 1.485sec = 11.58dps

idk why cooldown time is 0.9see, and 17dps :blink:

3*.33 (because 67% reduction) is the proper calculation. Just as the Dragon has 6 AC5s, the 20 tubes on the Hunch 4J is better than an LRM60, the Huggin has 6 SRM4s+A

The numbers affect the same 1.

Any 2x RoF (50%) quirk when you add 17% will become a 3x RoF quirk. Only exception is the Grid Iron because the charge is not affected. It comes off around 2x, because +.75. cLRMs would be in a similar boat, where the cLRM20 takes .95 seconds to spit 20 missiles.

#67 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 14 July 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

3*.33 (because 67% reduction) is the proper calculation. Just as the Dragon has 6 AC5s, the 20 tubes on the Hunch 4J is better than an LRM60, the Huggin has 6 SRM4s+A

The numbers affect the same 1.

Any 2x RoF (50%) quirk when you add 17% will become a 3x RoF quirk. Only exception is the Grid Iron because the charge is not affected. It comes off around 2x, because +.75. cLRMs would be in a similar boat, where the cLRM20 takes .95 seconds to spit 20 missiles.

In theory, yes. The problem with mechs like Huginn, Grid Iron, Dragon N and many more is that they need uptime on a target. Considering the meta of huge alphas and waddling back into cover to cool down, a working hitreg and a very low TTK…well, it becomes clear that uptime on a target is something of a luxury.

#68 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Also, I gotta admit, I haven't really gone toe to toe with a Huginn since the HSR update. So my experiences were with the magically damage shedding ones of yesteryear. I'm going to guess they splat a lot more satisfyingly now. I know Jenners and Firestarters sure do.

#69 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

Also, I gotta admit, I haven't really gone toe to toe with a Huginn since the HSR update. So my experiences were with the magically damage shedding ones of yesteryear. I'm going to guess they splat a lot more satisfyingly now. I know Jenners and Firestarters sure do.

That's what I was saying earlier. The Huggin was nerfed by making it easier to kill (a long with all other lights) post HSR patch. :)

#70 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

The Huggin wasn't that hard to kill pre-HSR patch.................if you saw them. Doesn't take much to leg one.As far as going toe to toe with big mechs goes, I've tried it and the experience was never a positive one.

If you can get some fire in on a Huggin, its not a hard mech to kill.

#71 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostPiney, on 14 July 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

The Huggin wasn't that hard to kill pre-HSR patch.................if you saw them. Doesn't take much to leg one.As far as going toe to toe with big mechs goes, I've tried it and the experience was never a positive one.

If you can get some fire in on a Huggin, its not a hard mech to kill.

this was true...as long as you saw him while out of his range. Once under 270? Often didn't matter.

#72 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

The Hugin is a monster, no question.... And until fairly recently I would have agrees with you... But it isn't alone in front end firepower for a light mech, and it is about to be dwarfed, so it's probably going to stay.

The Oxide has the same DPS as the Hugin sans MGs, and a lot of Hugin pilots take off the MGs for more ammo. I leave all 4 MGs on mine personally...

The Jennrr IIC is going to, potentially, bury the Hugin with the ability to sport 6 SRM6s. So the Hugin will act as somewhat of a counterbalance to it.

The only mech I currently feel is ridonkulous, is the Grid Iron.... Fires the same number of Gauss per second as any dual-gauss heavy, while carrying 80 rounds, and moving 80 kph. It IS hilariously fun, though...

#73 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

View Post627, on 13 July 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

This.

While I like to troll around with my hugginn, it got a bit extreme with those quirks. I nearly die every match because it is so squishy but I still manage to run out of 600 SRMs ever second match.

Same goes for the other overquirked mechs. Some hunchies, the dragon. Thunderbolts and so on.

Actually there are more mechs with ridiculous quirks, especially if you look at missile quirks. There's an orion with awesome quirks and one of the quickies is blessed, too. But no one ever uses those mechs so they don't get much forum rage attention :ph34r:

I own a lot of Orions. The ones with the best quirks do pretty decent, but none of my Orions approachs the 4j, Huginn, -1N, etc. Not even close.

View PostBush Hopper, on 14 July 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

In theory, yes. The problem with mechs like Huginn, Grid Iron, Dragon N and many more is that they need uptime on a target. Considering the meta of huge alphas and waddling back into cover to cool down, a working hitreg and a very low TTK…well, it becomes clear that uptime on a target is something of a luxury.

I'll second that. Other than the 4 uac 10 dire and Lurm boats, there aren't really any DPS mechs.

#74 Leiska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostDoobles, on 13 July 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

The Huginn is an awesome mech, but for it being overpowered, yeah... it is. I average 700+ damage with the thing...

No, you don't.

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 14 July 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

The only mech I currently feel is ridonkulous, is the Grid Iron.... Fires the same number of Gauss per second as any dual-gauss heavy, while carrying 80 rounds, and moving 80 kph. It IS hilariously fun, though...

You can't put 80 rounds on it if you want any backup weapons. 40 is the standard.

Edited by Leiska, 14 July 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#75 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 14 July 2015 - 02:46 AM, said:

I think everyone that is calling for Huggin Nerf should send money to people that bought Huggins

Then they can nerf it

Sound good

I bought my Huggin before quirks, and if you notice, about half the people calling for nerfs to its over quirkness, own them, and if anyone bought them on the basis of them being over quirked, more fool them

#76 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 13 July 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

i think the issue is that the Victor stinks and not that the Huginn is decent lol

This man found the real root of the problem...

IS mediums have as much armor in their ST as the VTR has in his CT....not really you at fault Jazz.

The VTR at fault...i think so.

View PostLeiska, on 14 July 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

No, you don't.

You can't put 80 rounds on it if you want any backup weapons. 40 is the standard.

4 tons is the standard? Dont you mean Stock? For the cookie cutter build....that 40 shots doesn't last long either in that mech...you will be out of your main weapons ammo and will have MAYBE put 600 dmg up if all your shots connect.

You only need ONE Medium in the head. The rest of the mech is just for your teammates to look at.

Edited by DarthRevis, 14 July 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostCathy, on 14 July 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

I bought my Huggin before quirks, and if you notice, about half the people calling for nerfs to its over quirkness, own them, and if anyone bought them on the basis of them being over quirked, more fool them

Yup, I bought Huginn when he dropped because...cool paintjob. Have kept the exact loadout since, too, 4MG, 2 SRM4. And while I can get myself splatted like a bug (not really a Light jock), good golly is the damage I lay out before then, generally pretty ridiculous. And higher than any other mech usually can pump in said amount of time. Unless I land Alpine or something.

#78 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostLeiska, on 14 July 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

No, you don't.

I beg to differ... besides, why do you need backup weapons if you have 80 rounds? XD If you live to spend all 80 rounds, there aren't going to be any mechs that pose a threat by that time... unless you are an awful shot... And I actually understated the GI... it can run 98 KPH, 80 gauss rounds, and still have a backup MPL

Posted Image

Also... yeah, he probably does. I pull either 700+ damage per match, or like... 300... depends on if I get incredibly unlucky. I'll usually killl the enemy assault lance single handedly with my Hugin before I run out of ammo. Though, now and then, I get caught by a few lights or mediums, and I get slaughtered by a pack of other wolves :P

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 14 July 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#79 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

I don't believe one word of the OP. Invincible Huginns? Come on now.

Anyway, just because you die you go online and scream for nerfs? "The Huginn could use some nerfs"? Why exactly? Because one killed you? Proof of imbalance, missile only short range light mech with machine guns and 2 jump jets too OP. That's not how this works.

#80 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 14 July 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Other than the 4 uac 10 dire and Lurm boats, there aren't really any DPS mechs.

you forgot streakboats
that's why i dislike taking lasers on them, it decreases their dps drastically

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users