Jump Brawling Returns

19 replies to this topic

#1 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

I for one am enjoying this coming at the precise time we get a Wolverine Hero.
67.1m of real flying and no shutter. Now I can do that cool movie backwards jump off a cliff with lasers blazing.

Discuss.

#2 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

imo they make themselves a sitting duck when they jump in the brawling for no purpose

#3 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

Jumping in a brawl is a real risk. It had better either get you the kill or get you out of chase range when you jump, because otherwise you're putting way too much heat on and not getting a lot out of it.

Funny how the JJ heat increase intended to punish poptarts deals the brunt of its penalty to brawlers, who are too close to disengage.

#4 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

Yeah its perfect.

DON'T TOUCH IT NOW DAMNIT!

#5 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

I like leap lurming in my Timber's :lol:

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 13 July 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

I for one am enjoying this coming at the precise time we get a Wolverine Hero.
67.1m of real flying and no shutter. Now I can do that cool movie backwards jump off a cliff with lasers blazing.

Discuss.

Jump brawling is great fun. I wish the VTR was still good at it.

#7 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

View Postaniviron, on 13 July 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

Jumping in a brawl is a real risk. It had better either get you the kill or get you out of chase range when you jump, because otherwise you're putting way too much heat on and not getting a lot out of it.

Funny how the JJ heat increase intended to punish poptarts deals the brunt of its penalty to brawlers, who are too close to disengage.

Whaaat? Jumping in a brawl increases your survivability ten fold.

#8 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

View Postaniviron, on 13 July 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

If you have good jump jets its a huge plus. When Victors had good jump jets that moved you up fast and let you turn fast you could make people miss a lot of the time or spread damage all over you. Many times you could confuse them and they would not even know where you were.

#9 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 13 July 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

If you have good jump jets its a huge plus. When Victors had good jump jets that moved you up fast and let you turn fast you could make people miss a lot of the time or spread damage all over you. Many times you could confuse them and they would not even know where you were.

Sure, they used to be great, I won't deny that. When I still had three Victors, I ran all three as brawlers. Things have changed since then though, and now JJs give less thrust, much less turning ability, and generate significantly more heat. This goes doubly true for any mech that is required to take a full set of jets, like the MLX, NVA, and SMN.

#10 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

View PostAxeface, on 13 July 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

Whaaat? Jumping in a brawl increases your survivability ten fold.

Yes, because suddenly only 1-3 people shooting at you becomes 4-12 people shooting at you while you are unable to change direction or decelerate/ accelerate is obviously higher survivability...

#11 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:20 PM

If your torso or arms are damaged, using jump jets to take to the air usually means their next shots will hit your legs. If you jump high enough and their weapons are pre-dominantly torso mounted, they might not hit you at all until you descend back to the ground. In some cases, you can get one extra alpha in you wouldn't normally have. Maybe two extra alphas if you count the damage that hit your leg instead of your torso area.

#12 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 July 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

Jump brawling is great fun. I wish the VTR was still good at it.

I do find it hilarious how Class II (which are only used by the Victor and maybe the Timberwolf?) JJs didn't get buffed at all. I mean, were they so afraid to accidentally buff the Timberwolf, so they threw the Victor under the bus to prevent it? I mean what?

F*cking Paul...

EDIT: I guess Victor is the only one using unbuffed Class II jump jets. Timber God uses the Class III, for some reason?

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 13 July 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#13 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 13 July 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

I do find it hilarious how Class II (which are only used by the Victor and maybe the Timberwolf?) JJs didn't get buffed at all. I mean, were they so afraid to accidentally buff the Timberwolf, so they threw the Victor under the bus to prevent it? I mean what?

F*cking Paul...

TBR actually uses Class III JJs and got a 17% fuel buff.

#14 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 13 July 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Wait what?
Are you f*cking kidding me?
Aren't Class II jump jets meant for 75 - 85 tonners?

F*cking PGI...

Wow, so i guess they DO hate Victor that much... So it's the only one that uses the Class II jump jets that didn't get buffed.
Posted Image

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 13 July 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#15 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

Figures. :D

The VICTOR hatred continues.

#16 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 July 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Yes, because suddenly only 1-3 people shooting at you becomes 4-12 people shooting at you while you are unable to change direction or decelerate/ accelerate is obviously higher survivability...

Huh? If you are on your own sure... but if you are with your team like you should be it is a straight up increase in durability. I'm not talking about jumping high, I'm talking about using it to spread damage. What kind of player shoots at the jumping mech when there are other targets that arn't jumping?

#17 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

I guess I should add that when I say jump brawling Im not talking about just jumping strait up in the air. Much more to it.

So lets discussion your favorite jump tactic in a brawl.

I ride IS mediums. Fast 55tonners are almost an obsession. I own every chassis and most variants.

My favorite tactic is to bunny hop at assaults who just alpha alpha alpha. I time my hops with the cooldown and try to be moving up or down when they fire. Its hard to lead vertically resulting in shots missing or lasers doing very little damage because it spread across you and the rocks. Add some randomly paced sideways jinks and you are almost untouchable.

#18 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 13 July 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Oh! Is that why my grasshopper seems to be jumping a little higher and quicker than normal?

I approve.

Maybe if things go well, Victor and Highlander jj boosts can come later.

#19 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

pshh it never left bra

QKD FO LIFE

:P

#20 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostAxeface, on 14 July 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

Huh? If you are on your own sure... but if you are with your team like you should be it is a straight up increase in durability. I'm not talking about jumping high, I'm talking about using it to spread damage. What kind of player shoots at the jumping mech when there are other targets that arn't jumping?

Because jumping increases the ability for all enemies to shoot at you, enemies near the back or still trying to get to the battlefield only got 1 guy to shoot at- the guy who is jumpjetting into line of sight...

Also you can you know... use your engine to manuver and spread damage...

Jumpjets is mainly to get past rough terrain and in MW: O has little combat applications.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users