Shadowcat And Arctic Cheetah Countdown: 1 Day Left!

349 replies to this topic

#241 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostSpilltray, on 18 July 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Yeah overall the 2 stupid useless monitors is the only fly in the Shadow Cat ointment for me. I wish they'd at least get rid of the top one. Non functioning monitors don't help immersion, they kill it. If those showed the paperdolls, ammo, heatsinks, or really anything, even info duplicated on the hud (map, heat, whatever) they'd be cool, but as they are, they are just annoying to place in the field of vision like that.

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 18 July 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

So close to perfect :( ...

Posted Image

Diddo

Heck, lift out the lower console altogether. The Ice Ferret, the mech it was designed to replace, did that, and it did wonders for the cockpit visibility. Especially when you consider that the Shadow Cat, as PGI reimagined it, has three windows on the front. A skylight, a front window, and a chin window. Can you imagine all that visibility?

Kinda fitting to have, considering it is a scout mech.

Seems a waste not to take advantage of that at all in the interior work. :\

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 18 July 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#242 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

I'm going to compile all o these arguments against the current monitors in the shadowcat so that i can post an educated argument later. Hope you guys don't mind if I quote you.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 18 July 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#243 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 18 July 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

I'm going to compile all o these arguments against the current monitors in the shadowcat so that i can post an educated argument later. Hope you guys don't mind if I quote you.

Feel free. Don't forget to add that it is, indeed, a scout mech. Refer to various scout craft throughout history if you like. The common theme in all of them is visibility. While I didn't expect a ton of horizontal visibility I was looking forward to that extreme vertical visibility, between the chin window and the moonroof that the physical model of the mech has on the exterior. Man, I really, really, hope that moonroof is there, because the chin is absolutely covered with pointless [NO SIGNAL] monitors.

Edit:

Added links to images of the Bell-47 which was a scout/recon helicopter back in Vietnam, and its modern day replacement the Little Bird (variant of the MD-500). Both have the same thing: high visibility!

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 18 July 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#244 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

Please PGI, before the Shadowcat goes live, please, just pull out that monitor stand on the left side of the shadowcat's cockpit.

You don't need to worry about replacing those monitors, you don't have to spend dev time on that, just please, hear me out, PLEASE remove that monitor stand. There are a few gripes to be had about the shadowcat's cockpit, but what is glaring and unanimous is this: "that monitor stand needs to go!"

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 18 July 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#245 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

The only thing that bothers me about the monitor stand is that it's a stand. Looks like it would snap off from the vibrations and shaking. It also looks like something a a guy in 2002 would have on his workstation to optimize his workflow while making websites on angelfire or something.
if your fov is set to something around 80 it's going to be a pretty small screen, but the way it is mounted is.. so off.

But apart from that, I love it, it's perfect to me.

Edited by signal, 18 July 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#246 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

The closeup picture of the cheetah's hands make me think "LET"S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!"

#247 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

The Arctic Cheetah's cockpit is perfect. And dang, what a sexy mech! Grrrrrr.

BTW, the video was a work of genius. That last shot with the metal music is epic!

About the Shadow Cat cockpit, well, that monitor needs to go. I suppose you can't do this now, on so short notice, but please, PGI, remove that upper monitor in a hotfix until you can find a better place for it.

#248 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostOdanan, on 18 July 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

The Arctic Cheetah's cockpit is perfect. And dang, what a sexy mech! Grrrrrr.

BTW, the video was a work of genius. That last shot with the metal music is epic!

About the Shadow Cat cockpit, well, that monitor needs to go. I suppose you can't do this now, on so short notice, but please, PGI, remove that upper monitor in a hotfix until you can find a better place for it.

well, if they could raise the ebj by 1 meter right before release, they could do the whole select+press delete key

#249 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 18 July 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Ah, please... if you wouldn't mind maybe you can try and talk them into removing the Orion's fire extinguisher :(

Edited by Urdnot Mau, 18 July 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#250 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 18 July 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

some mechs have Ammo count monitors the level of working varies...

Raven 3L I know has an almost working ammo monitor. Shows up in game but doesn't update when firing 50% of the time, properly updates ammo in real-time 25% of the time, and the other 25% of the time it is no signal like everything else.

#251 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:52 PM

Got no problems what so ever with shadowcat cockpit.

However I got even less problems for the moniters to display something, and if they DO display info later, I do not want them to be at a very sharp angel where I can't tell the difference between the letter F and the paper doll for the mech.

#252 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:25 PM

View PostUrdnot Mau, on 18 July 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

Ah, please... if you wouldn't mind maybe you can try and talk them into removing the Orion's fire extinguisher :(

Haha my thoughts exactly. Hate that fire extinguisher. Last thing any pilot need is that thing coming lose and hitting you in the face. I would have stewed it under my seat or put it in my duffel bag and left it in the truck.

#253 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:20 AM

View PostRushmoar, on 18 July 2015 - 11:25 PM, said:

Haha my thoughts exactly. Hate that fire extinguisher. Last thing any pilot need is that thing coming lose and hitting you in the face. I would have stewed it under my seat or put it in my duffel bag and left it in the truck.

but its only on orion or ? so its one mech only ? id keep that.

#254 Kodiak383

• Pip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMemelab

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:19 AM

I approve this post ^

I was gonna say something like this, stop whining about small detail etc. but you made it sound way better.

#255 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:22 AM

View PostOzealot, on 19 July 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Stop bickering about every single thing you might not like.

Dude, we paid money for it.

Where comes the thought from you have any say in this?

Dude, we paid money for it, in advance!

If you want to communicate, which sometimes is questionable in the first place, you should try to find the correct words and give justice to some basic etiquette.

Dude, if you want to communicate, which really is questionable in the first place. You should at least try to find the correct words and some proper basic etiquette yourself, before you demand it from others.

I just see not really a requirement to share my opinion with the lot of you

Guess what? Me neither.

I mean look at those praised minis and original art from the eighties. Are you kidding me? That's just some sentimental value left in there, not much of anything else.

I might play captain obvious here but i'll guarantee you MWO would be long dead and forgotten if not for the diehard battletech fancommunity which happen to have "some sentimental value left". *

* Guess what, strike that part. MWO would never have happened in the first place if not for the "sentimental value".

Edited by LOADED, 19 July 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#256 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:45 AM

For the love of god PLEASE stop putting those broken monitors into cockpits.

#257 shopsmart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

Ok, did you guys see those 6 MGs! Yeah 6 MGs! See that monitor! That is rad. It keeps the muzzle flashes out of your eyes.

IF my above statement is true, then PGI put some thought into this kind of cockpit design. Want it, but will wait for C-bills as I bought clan IIc.

#258 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

View Postshopsmart, on 19 July 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

Ok, did you guys see those 6 MGs! Yeah 6 MGs! See that monitor! That is rad. It keeps the muzzle flashes out of your eyes.

Ahaha exactly my thought.

Just a minor question, am i the only one who's not bothered by the monitors? i actually think they look quit nice. sure, they block off a bit of the vision but for me it's kinda like

Immersive, nice looking cockpit? blocking a bit of vision?.. errr... gimme dat cockpit! gimme gimme gimme!

Also PGI, if you happen to read this!

Replace the monitor overlay with something else, if possible replace "auto detect (no)" with "HUD projection (online)". Problem solves!

Edited by LOADED, 19 July 2015 - 05:15 AM.

#259 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostLOADED, on 19 July 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

Just a minor question, am i the only one who's not bothered by the monitors? i actually think they look quit nice. sure, they block off a bit of the vision but for me it's kinda like

Immersive, nice looking cockpit? blocking a bit of vision?.. errr... gimme dat cockpit! gimme gimme gimme!

Replace the monitor overlay with something else, if possible replace "auto detect (no)" with "HUD projection (online)". Problem solves!

I think that with 85 fov they will be *miniature*, I just think they're mounted funny, but I slept on it and now I'm over it. Love the cockpit design

#260 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostLOADED, on 19 July 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

I don't really MIND the dead monitors... But I do wish they did SOMETHING. Hell, It'd be more immersive if they threw up fake information with no relevance! Stick a topographical map on one, doesn't matter if it doesn't DO anything. How about a doppler radar reading for weather? (again, doesn't have to actually DO anything, just something to replace no signal) Even PGI made fun of it in them in the Urbanmech cockpit, which is hilarious for so many reasons :P

If they ever DO get the monitors to display handy information, those ones right in front on the Shadowcat might be nice.

View Postsignal, on 19 July 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

I think that with 85 fov they will be *miniature*, I just think they're mounted funny, but I slept on it and now I'm over it. Love the cockpit design

Oh yeah :P I forgot, they said they had a 60 FOV on...

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 19 July 2015 - 07:07 AM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users