Shadowcat And Arctic Cheetah Countdown: 1 Day Left!

349 replies to this topic

#21 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostKain Demos, on 15 July 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Hopefully by mounting the non-missile pods those huge shoulders go away.
dunno if I want them to go away, they'll shield the ST from the side, even the shoulder energy mounts.

As they are arm mounts, on arms with LRM's, they'll aim sideways. It may or may not be animated, but the game effect of lower arm actuators has no bearing on the model itself - it's just an abstraction that allows the mech to aim that way. . Don't be surprised to see missiles that swing to a side right out of the tubes.

View PostTarogato, on 15 July 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

... consider it a balancing factor for how much potential this mech has to be a real game changer.
100 percent of the time, in any mech, it's better to lose an arm than a side torso.

#22 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 July 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

dunno if I want them to go away, they'll shield the ST from the side, even the shoulder energy mounts.

As they are arm mounts, on arms with LRM's, they'll aim sideways. It may or may not be animated, but the game effect of lower arm actuators has no bearing on the model itself - it's just an abstraction that allows the mech to aim that way. . Don't be surprised to see missiles that swing to a side right out of the tubes.

100 percent of the time, in any mech, it's better to lose an arm than a side torso.

I would rather be hit less and those large boxes scream "Mist Lynx me please" levels of dismemberment. The Arms without "M" hardpoitns hopefully just look like normal arms. I don't use missiles in this game anyway....I have maybe a total of 9 CSRM6A equipped across 92 'mechs, that's it.

Edited by Kain Demos, 15 July 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#23 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostKain Demos, on 15 July 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

I would rather be hit less and those large boxes scream "Mist Lynx me please" levels of dismemberment. The Arms without "M" hardpoitns hopefully just look like normal arms. I don't use missiles in this game anyway....I have maybe a total of 9 CSRM6A equipped across 92 'mechs, that's it.

This thing kind of screams out loudly to take advantage of the low weight clan lasers anyway. ERSL are about as close as it gets to IS ML for half the weight and only 3 heat. I plan on using ECM, 2xERML, 4xERSL, 3xDHS as my first build.

#24 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 15 July 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

Prime and A variant Arms with BIG FAT MISSILE PODS.
I expect a lotta swaps for B & C Arms.

You can tank with your arms by twisting your torso. Better they hit the arm than the side torso. ;)

#25 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 15 July 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

This thing kind of screams out loudly to take advantage of the low weight clan lasers anyway. ERSL are about as close as it gets to IS ML for half the weight and only 3 heat. I plan on using ECM, 2xERML, 4xERSL, 3xDHS as my first build.

My first thoughts were for the CSPLAS and not the CERSLAS (duration is so important at high speeds) but mounting 6 CSPLAS while doable will require running away to cool off and JJ use will hurt it in that department. I've also thought about a mix (4 pulse 2 ers) but I have had a lot of success with 4 CSPLAS on the Mist Lynx (sans ECM) and 5 in the Ice Ferret (backed up with a CSRM6A) so running 4-5 with ECM will suit me fine too. I will never put anything but E weapons on this 'mech due to the tonnage limitations so eventually I will end up with 4 different builds (one for each chassis) with various combinations of lasers mastered and ready to drop with modules.

#26 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

The Artic Cheetah is pretty nice looking. I look forward to piloting it (it's the only Wave III that I bought). There are, of course, a few nit picks (like the arm energy locations deviating from the concept and TT artworks), but nothing too serious. It's a pity they couldn't put that much work into the weapon hardpoint visuals of the old mechs. *sighs* Poor, poor Commando.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the variants we are and aren't getting at the start, I wouldn't complain if we eventually got the E configuration of the Hankyu/Arctic Cheetah. Although we don't have Machine Gun Arrays, the tonnage of the array could be devoted to ammunition or something (since we'll probably never have actual arrays, given their TT purpose); and PGI have historically turned the A/B-Pods into armor, heatsinks, or ammunition anyway. That would be a fun one with 3B in each arm, 2E in the left torso and 1E in the right.

#27 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostSereglach, on 15 July 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

The Artic Cheetah is pretty nice looking. I look forward to piloting it (it's the only Wave III that I bought). There are, of course, a few nit picks (like the arm energy locations deviating from the concept and TT artworks), but nothing too serious. It's a pity they couldn't put that much work into the weapon hardpoint visuals of the old mechs. *sighs* Poor, poor Commando.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the variants we are and aren't getting at the start, I wouldn't complain if we eventually got the E configuration of the Hankyu/Arctic Cheetah. Although we don't have Machine Gun Arrays, the tonnage of the array could be devoted to ammunition or something (since we'll probably never have actual arrays, given their TT purpose); and PGI have historically turned the A/B-Pods into armor, heatsinks, or ammunition anyway. That would be a fun one with 3B in each arm, 2E in the left torso and 1E in the right.

6MGs and 2 MPLS would be a monster! Oh how I hope we get that one! :D I know I wreck face with my Urbanmech with 4 MGs and 2 MPLS! Also... can't wait for my Shadowcat with 7 MGs and an ERPPC or SRM6+A :D

#28 Andyboy

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Can't wait for these mechs, they look really great!

The Shadow Cat kinda looks like a Clan version of the Jaeger/Blackjack, with those high mounted arms.

Arctic Cheetah just looks............... saweet.

10/10, because I was completely happy with the Resistance packs, and I know these will be stellar

#29 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 July 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

depends on which arm and which mech
for instance for kfx it's almost always better to lose its left side torso than its right arm

#30 PhantomDust

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 15 July 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

It's not bad compared to the concept. The high mounted energy hardpoints of doom are there. The main letdown is obviously the arm mounted missile hardpoints being larger, (but not THAT much) and the underslung energy hardpoints. The "face" is a bit different too, but I don't mind. I like the hands. The "belly" doesn't appear to be as bulbous as the concept, which I really don't care either way about. Overall, I think the modelers did justice to the concept. Posted Image Posted Image

Special geo is applied to the head in the above screenshots with the default variant it should match closer to the concept. Also when not equipped the missile boxes will be replaced with other geo to reduce the hitbox.

Hope that answers a few questions you guys had.

#31 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostArman Abounourinejad, on 15 July 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Special geo is applied to the head in the above screenshots with the default variant it should match closer to the concept. Also when not equipped the missile boxes will be replaced with other geo to reduce the hitbox.

Holy crap, I thought we were gonna hafta wait until some reveal day to find that one out... Thanks a lot PGI person I've never heard of, but are now my favorite dev of the day :D

#32 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

I'm really excited for my pack. Those two were what I was waiting for in Clan Mechs. :)

#33 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 15 July 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

depends on which arm and which mech
for instance for kfx it's almost always better to lose its left side torso than its right arm

Yeah, but that's not what the question is on the battlefield. It's right side arm or right side torso, as shots are coming from on front or the left, and the KFX can always twist to protect that arm.

This is the reality of arm vs. torso questions; it's pretty much always the arm, or the torso AND the arm. Thus, my point. Even on a KFX, I'd rather lose my right arm than my right torso AND the right arm.

View PostArman Abounourinejad, on 15 July 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Awesome, thanks for chipping in with answers!

Also: Who are you? What do you do at PGI? I don't think I've ever seen you before! :)

#34 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 15 July 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

We can remove the useless flamer right? :P

But yeah, she is a beauty!!

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 15 July 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

It's not bad compared to the concept. The high mounted energy hardpoints of doom are there. The main letdown is obviously the arm mounted missile hardpoints being larger, (but not THAT much) and the underslung energy hardpoints. The "face" is a bit different too, but I don't mind. I like the hands.

The "belly" doesn't appear to be as bulbous as the concept, which I really don't care either way about.

Overall, I think the modelers did justice to the concept.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

TBH...I think I like it better than the concept. A lot better.

#36 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

Do I detect special leg geometry on it too?

#37 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 July 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

Awesome, thanks for chipping in with answers!

Also: Who are you? What do you do at PGI? I don't think I've ever seen you before! :)

I think he is one of the modelers... and he, along with neema are two of my country-mates over at PGI...

so... mamnoon arman.!!!

#38 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:42 PM

View PostLOADED, on 15 July 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Posted Image

As for the cheetah, i honestly don't know why the energy mounts are mounted under the arm and not on the side (like the artwork would indicate). It's not like the cheetah needs even bigger armhitboxes.
I can only assume this was thanks to the missilepots.
I'm guessing that, once those are removed, the armhitboxes would probably too tiny if the energy mount would be sideways.

Also, both 'mechs are super sexy.
10/10 would buy again.

So you think that this:
Posted Image

is worse than the fatty Voldemort we are going to have?

(larger and without the shadowcat nose)

Posted Image

#39 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 15 July 2015 - 11:42 PM, said:

So you think that this is worse than the fatty Voldemort we are going to have?

Im short, yes.
It's a 40 ton mech, it should look like one.
(tho, i do would like the kneejoints from the old artwork)

Edited by LOADED, 16 July 2015 - 03:42 AM.

#40 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:06 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 15 July 2015 - 11:42 PM, said:

So you think that this:
Posted Image

is worse than the fatty Voldemort we are going to have?

(larger and without the shadowcat nose)

Posted Image

I was a bit upset about the nose myself at first... We wound up with thr nose for the Shadowcat II bolted onto the Shadowcat.

An important thing to notice, though, with that [Y] face, that middle brace would be right in the way of the crosshairs, and would make fine aiming impossible... Enhanced Zoom would give you a square of steel filling your zoom :P It's unfortunate, but a necessary change.

The side-by-side knee would have looked better, IMO.... Y'know, that's the whole problem with PGI's Reverse joint knees, now that you mention it... The bypass designs in ALL the original artwork allow the knee to bend much further than the in line setup that all the mechs acrually wound up with. This explains their stance, to an extent.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 16 July 2015 - 04:25 AM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users