Shadowcat And Arctic Cheetah Countdown: 1 Day Left!

349 replies to this topic

#101 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

And here's a size comparison... Shadowcat vs Cicada, and Arctic Cheetah vs Firestarter.

The Shadowcat is basically a clone of the Cicada, only with actual arms.
The Arctic Cheetah, even with its missile pods, has the EXACT SAME size upper arms as the Firestarter, while being significantly smaller at the forearms. The AC has a bigger crotchplate, but the AC is slightly shorter, even with its side torsos, and has almost the exact same body build... Firestarter: You have become obsolete!

And now I've probably ruined one of PGI's planned days reveal :P You boys (and girls) best think up a new day! :D
Posted Image

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 16 July 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#102 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 July 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

And here's a size comparison... Shadowcat vs Cicada, and Arctic Cheetah vs Firestarter.

The Shadowcat is basically a clone of the Cicada, only with actual arms.
The Arctic Cheetah, even with its missile pods, has the EXACT SAME size upper arms as the Firestarter, while being significantly smaller at the forearms. The AC has a bigger crotchplate, but the AC is slightly shorter, even with its side torsos, and has almost the exact same body build... Firestarter: You have become obsolete!

And now I've probably ruined one of PGI's planned days reveal :P You boys (and girls) best think up a new day! :D
Posted Image

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will you post this in the general forum? It should shut up all the doom and gloomers who thing the Shadowcat is going to be huge. It's bigger than a Cicada, but it should be. This looks just about right.

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 July 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

And here's the legs...
Posted Image

Mmmmmm.... Dose sexy invasion legs.

Edited by Greenjulius, 16 July 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#103 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 16 July 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will you post this in the general forum? It should shut up all the doom and gloomers who thing the Shadowcat is going to be huge. It's bigger than a Cicada, but it should be. This looks just about right.

Done:
http://mwomercs.com/...of-ac-and-scat/

#104 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

The thing I still want to know about the Arctic Cheetah is...

Posted Image

#105 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

Missiles go in, missiles go out. Can't explain that.

#106 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

Inner Sphere gets the Quarantine recently and the Clans get an OP medium mech and a light with the highest hard points in the game? Whats next?

#107 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 16 July 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Missiles go in, missiles go out. Can't explain that.

Haha, I was more referring to the aiming mechanics...

They are technically on the arms, so will they be able to shoot sidways?

They are NOT on lower arm actuators, so they SHOULDN'T be able to shoot sideways, but they SHOULD be able to shoot up and down as far as the arms can. If they do this, what will the animation look like? Will the whole arm pivot at the shoulder up and down like it doesn't have lower arm actuators?

Or, will PGI take the lazy way out, and just make them follow the torso crosshairs?

Whatever mechanic they choose to follow with this mech, the Orion IIC will almost certainly function in the same manner.

#108 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 16 July 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Inner Sphere gets the Quarantine recently and the Clans get an OP medium mech and a light with the highest hard points in the game? Whats next?

WTF? OP medium ? Are you talking about the Stormcrow because the Shadow Cat can't even pack the punch of a Blackjack...

Edited by ChapeL, 16 July 2015 - 08:41 PM.

#109 Thell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

I laugh at anyone that thinks the Shadow cat is op or even that good. Fun mech? Sure.

#110 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

I find the Cheetah way 2 bulky in comparison to the concept, I mean in the concept looks way more better imo

#111 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostThell, on 16 July 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

I laugh at anyone that thinks the Shadow cat is op or even that good. Fun mech? Sure.

Well, you better laugh at me :P I think it's gonna be one of the best mechs in the game :P

Maybe not for upfront firepower... but it will be more maneuverable than any other mech in the game with MASC on a frame that small. It will jump farther than any other mech but the Spider (And the Jenner IIC2 when it comes) And it's firepower is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, again, ECM :P

#112 Thell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

Sure. If you play the shadow cat like a sneaky sniper then it can pull out decent numbers over a long fight (if you have enough ammo). Or if you go for a couple ERLL. You can put a few SRMs on it and go kinda sorta brawly but the thing is meant for being a sneaky annoying ****. But being able to have good maneuverability and ecm doesn't make a mech op, especially when it has a small amount of weaponry.

#113 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

View PostThell, on 16 July 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

Sure. If you play the shadow cat like a sneaky sniper then it can pull out decent numbers over a long fight (if you have enough ammo). Or if you go for a couple ERLL. You can put a few SRMs on it and go kinda sorta brawly but the thing is meant for being a sneaky annoying ****. But being able to have good maneuverability and ecm doesn't make a mech op, especially when it has a small amount of weaponry.

Agreed, definitely not OP, not by a long shot. Actually, one of the meanest things will be the P with 7 MGs and either an ERPPC or an SRM6+A. OR 6 MGs and 2 LPLs. No ECM on that one, though.

#114 Thell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

I wouldn't want to ditch the ecm. I wish it had some inflated hardpoints for more energy but oh well.

#115 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 15 July 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

Welcome to the Countdown of the Shadow Cat and Arctic Cheetah release!!

We will be sharing info, images, videos and streams each day from today on leading up to July 21st!

You still have time to pre-order a Wave 3 Package here!

DAYS LEFT: 5

The Arctic Cheetah Special Geo

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Shadow Cat Special Geo

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DAYS LEFT: 6

The Arctic Cheetah Title and Badge.

The Nimble

Posted Image

The Shadow Cat Title and Badge.

The Covert

Posted Image

legs on that Cheetah remind me of....me. Shame that in my case they are attached to the body of a Mauler, lol.

#116 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 July 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

Haha, I was more referring to the aiming mechanics...

They are technically on the arms, so will they be able to shoot sidways?

They are NOT on lower arm actuators, so they SHOULDN'T be able to shoot sideways, but they SHOULD be able to shoot up and down as far as the arms can. If they do this, what will the animation look like? Will the whole arm pivot at the shoulder up and down like it doesn't have lower arm actuators?

Or, will PGI take the lazy way out, and just make them follow the torso crosshairs?

Whatever mechanic they choose to follow with this mech, the Orion IIC will almost certainly function in the same manner.
The orientation of the gun/launcher is irrelevant to the projectile direction. Far more likely than what you suggest is that the missiles will just fly out of the launcher and turn hard immediately - if they don't just fly out at an angle.

The animations and position of the "lower arm actuator" is utterly unrelated, in terms of game mechanics. Basically just take off your immersion hat for a moment, and consider: the HGN733C, for example, only has one LAA, on its off arm. Yet an AC20 held in the arm without a LAA whatsoever can still move laterally.

This is because actuators don't exist. It's just a fun way to fill crit slots and define lateral arm movement range.

It perhaps SHOULD matter, for immersion if nothing else, but yeah... I'd put money on my answer above being correct.

Edited by Wintersdark, 16 July 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#117 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 July 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

Agreed, definitely not OP, not by a long shot. Actually, one of the meanest things will be the P with 7 MGs and either an ERPPC or an SRM6+A. OR 6 MGs and 2 LPLs. No ECM on that one, though.

Yeah the 2xLPL plus a pile of MGs could definitely work. And you could twist to take most of the damage on the MG side if you needed to.

Anyway, like I said I'll happy to give this mech a lot of play. Not having a pile of hardpoints in any configuration (nor the tonnage for insane amounts of UAC spam) will make it different, as will MASC. I welcome the challenge.

#118 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 July 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

The orientation of the gun/launcher is irrelevant to the projectile direction. Far more likely than what you suggest is that the missiles will just fly out of the launcher and turn hard immediately - if they don't just fly out at an angle.

The animations and position of the "lower arm actuator" is utterly unrelated, in terms of game mechanics. Basically just take off your immersion hat for a moment, and consider: the HGN733C, for example, only has one LAA, on its off arm. Yet an AC20 held in the arm without a LAA whatsoever can still move laterally.

This is because actuators don't exist. It's just a fun way to fill crit slots and define lateral arm movement range.

It perhaps SHOULD matter, for immersion if nothing else, but yeah... I'd put money on my answer above being correct.

But... but... I like things to make sense T.T

#119 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 16 July 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Eh. I'd take the Cat over the Ferret 8/10. Unless I want to rush something, fast, I rather take the more heat efficient, more offensively capable mech that also happens to have jump jets and a bonus ECM. If I want to snipe, slap an ERPPC or LPLas on the shoulder and you're golden, with plenty of tonnage to spare, or a couple ERLLas, a gun per arm, and a third weapon of your choice. If you want to brawl, 3x A-SRM-6 and 2 ERMLas should be more than adequate.

I still wish they invented a 2E per arm, 1M per side torso variant (say, 2 LRM10 with artemis, 4 ERMLas for a mini-TBR Prime), but I certainly won't complain about having that beautiful piece of machinery in my lineup!
actually only the arctic cheetah was meant to replace the mist lynx the Shadowcat was used outside of clan wolf in the same way the Ice ferret was used.

View PostJohnny Z, on 16 July 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

IIC

#120 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

Shadowcat is meant to be a harasser in my opinion. Stay at range with ecm, large lasers, ppcs, maybe an uac 5 or 10 to exploit shredded areas. Gauss is just too big imo. Use the MASC to dart from cover to cover and the jump jets to avoid a head on fight, fire from unexpected directions and move quickly. If you try to trade you will just get eaten up. Alternatively you could be a more maneuverable but less powerful light hunter by toting some streaks and some MPL,s. Still need to avoid the bigs though, just keep,the red littles off your bigs till its time to clean up. You can be sure we will see some lrm boats out there too. Saw a hunchback with one lrm 20 and the rest ammo in match earlier so I am sure we will see the same thing with the shadowcat. A great thing about all that is you will look cool doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users