Shadowcat And Arctic Cheetah Countdown: 1 Day Left!

349 replies to this topic

#281 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 July 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

It's not an "enjoy or refund" thing - I doubt anyone is so against them that they'd refund their purchase unless they were planning to anyways and where just looking for an excuse.

I think most of our objections is that there's so damn many, and in the field of view... But that wouldn't be so aggravating if they actually DID something, rather than just saying [ AUTODETECT: NO ] throughout the match. If they were functional - even if not useful - I think you'd see the bulk of the complaints vanish.

Essentially yes. even a token image is better than what is essentially "Hey I don't work!" plastered in my face.

#282 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

This is not funny anymore. You are doing this intentionally now

PGI... were you that offended when people wanted camo for their PRIME(I)s?

Care to explain why the special geo has texture on the base camo and why its black on any other camo?
Posted Image

#283 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 19 July 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Care to explain why the special geo has texture on the base camo and why its black on any other camo?
Posted Image

Actually... I can explain that one quite easily...

The special Geo is added over the existing model. This allows them to not have to make another pattern for EVERY (I) mech. We're lucky with the AC and SCat, and the Invasion paint scheme is applied over the special geo, it wasn't on the CB and Koala.

And, there are good reasons for this... The most obvious is it would take a lot of time to make a new pattern for every special geo mech. Another issue is we would then have to double the amount of file space on all of our computers for the camo. If they ever tweak one, they have to double the effort and tweak both... every new pattern has to be designed twice...

This is a great compromise. We can change our paint as much as we want to, and PGI doesn't have to double its man hours to make a pattern available to a chassis.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 19 July 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#284 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

All gripes aside, the shadowcat is a really cool mech, and I'm exceptionally pleased with the dev team for their work on the exterior and the interesting interiror. It will surely be one of the two kings of my mech stable, along with my Nova.

I've just got my fingers crossed super tight that the dev team will do something about those two monitors on the left.

#285 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 19 July 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

Actually... I can explain that one quite easily...

The special Geo is added over the existing model. This allows them to not have to make another pattern for EVERY pattern (I) mech. We're lucky with the AC and SCat, and the Invasion paint scheme is applied over the special geo, it wasn't on the CB and Koala.

And, there are good reasons for this... The most obvious is it would take a lot of time to make a new pattern for every special geo mech. Another issue is we would then have to double the amount of file space on all of our computers for the camo. If they ever tweak one, they have to double the effort and tweak both... every new pattern has to be designed twice...

This is a great compromise. We can change our paint as much as we want to, and PGI doesn't have to double its man hours to make a pattern available to a chassis.

Not correct actually. A camo pattern is not only a single file. it maybe 2 or 3 depending on how many the mech has as default for different parts (e.g. main body, special geo and dynamic weapons)

Where do you think that black texture (and invasion texture) for the special geo is coming from in the first place? (its not in the main body file)
PGI changed their approach to special geometry. They changed from a completely unique component geo to add-on geometry.
The texture for the add-on part is not in the main texture file. Its in a separate file along with the dynamic weapon textures... and patterns can be easily applied to it. (because it only occupies a very small area in the file and the texture from any camo can be re-mapped to that area using the non-invasion texture on the same component.

Texture files for add-on geometry (like dynamic weapons and the newly special geo) are found in:
Objects.pak\objects\mechs\<mechname>\body\<mechname>_variant_xxx.dds
Example: gold missile boxes for the TBR-PRIME(G) is a good example of how patterns can be applied to add-on geometry.

in order for the add-on geo to have camo. A new variant_rgb(spc) file with the pattern is required, special geometry only occupies a very small portion of it and texturing it is not hard.

Edited by Navid A1, 19 July 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#286 KMCA

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky Way, Virgo

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 18 July 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

They used to have 1 monitor do something.
Remember when the cockpit used to show how many heat sinks you had?

Ammo counter and kill counters worked too.

#287 Michael Howell

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHuntress, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

They both look awesome and I cannot wait for the big day!

#288 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

I'm kinda glad I won't be doing Smoke Jag patterns ever.

It looks like a 40 year old cougar in jag print clothing on a black and white T.V.

#289 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 19 July 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I'm kinda glad I won't be doing Smoke Jag patterns ever.

It looks like a 40 year old cougar in jag print clothing on a black and white T.V.

40 years old seems kind of young for a cougar... I always thought that designation started closer to 50. ;)

But seriously. the Smoke Jag patterns are pretty weak. I like the colors and use them often, but I would never use that silly pattern.

#290 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 19 July 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

What a petty thing to complain about. Personally the Shadowcat is one of my favorite mechs and it's one I have many fond memories of from Mech Warrior 3. I am so excited to finally have it in MWO.

#291 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

View Postspectralthundr, on 19 July 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

What a petty thing to complain about. Personally the Shadowcat is one of my favorite mechs and it's one I have many fond memories of from Mech Warrior 3. I am so excited to finally have it in MWO.

And that bothers you because....

I am paying for that pattern. I don't want a black pillow to hide something that is there already.
If i ever find out who is behind the choice of special geo location/type/size... ruining alex designs

here, heres something you can enjoy while being excited for the scat. This is all you see by piloting the scat. unless you play in 3pv.
Spoiler

Edited by Navid A1, 19 July 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#292 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

I actually like the black thigh armor. In fact the AC looks amazing with all its camo patterns.

#293 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 15 July 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Faction Pattern Preview - Shadow Cat Arctic CheetahPosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Okay, so they look beautiful, don't get me wrong on that, but I really need to apply some logic to PGI's weapon systems here. Take a look at the SC's missile pods. See how tightly packed they are. Great. So why on earth is it that with mechs that have say 5 tubes (like the AC or even SRM2 hellslinger) have HUGE BEHEMOTH chucks for the launchers? Then, why do you slap on HUGE BEHEMOTH chucks for additional launchers that clearly, by any logic can fit in the original launcher spot? It is absurd. I half want to rant on about the Hellslinger and Catapult here.. ..but that has been worn to the ground already with not favorable outcome as of yet (that I know of..).

#End Rant.

In other news, the SC and AC are just stunning, I love these shots. The curved special geometry, very nice :)

One last point - Will there ever be an option to select which mount has which weapon? e.g it might make more sense to have a high mounted LL than a high mounted flamer.. ..having somethign for this in the lab would be SOO good.

Edited by White Bear 84, 19 July 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#294 M A S E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

View PostLOADED, on 19 July 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

As much as i do like the falcon camo, it still suffers greatly from the "here's my centertorso, pls shoot me" yellow 3th. color placement.

Paint it black. Enjoy :)

#295 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 19 July 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

And that bothers you because....

I am paying for that pattern. I don't want a black pillow to hide something that is there already.
If i ever find out who is behind the choice of special geo location/type/size... ruining alex designs

here, heres something you can enjoy while being excited for the scat. This is all you see by piloting the scat. unless you play in 3pv.
Spoiler

Oh the drama, yeah I don't think a monitor is going to really affect playing that mech much if at all. Stop being such a sally. ^_^

#296 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

It kills me to see a noble Shadow Cat painted in the colors of the enemy. Those should be Nova Cat colors, not Jaguar, on our machine! :P

They do look great, however.

#297 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

View Postspectralthundr, on 19 July 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

Oh the drama, yeah I don't think a monitor is going to really affect playing that mech much if at all. Stop being such a sally. ^_^

He's not being a sally ^_^ . I light hunt in mechs like the Shadowcat; being able to see those little scampers orbiting you in your peripheral is important. There is no reason the monitor should be there anyway. I'm not saying it's the end of days or Shadowcat is DOA but damn, I'd be a whole lot perkier if they just ripped that little stand out and threw it in the trash.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 19 July 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#298 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

View Postspectralthundr, on 19 July 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

There is no drama.

I want to prevent this:
Posted Image

And this:
Posted Image

Edited by Navid A1, 19 July 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#299 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 19 July 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

There is no drama.

I want to prevent this:
Posted Image

And this:
Posted Image