#941 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 22 December 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

One thing I do notice when using Artemis, there are no bonuses to lock on time with an ECM mech or one that is covered. I have not tested this after an ECM mech is hit with a PPC. It is part of lore in that regards, but will PPC's allow Artemis to work in an ECM bubble?

Saw this on someone's quote, thought I'd address it since it doesn't appear anyone did beyond the lore response.

Hard counters disable ECM completely, including lock delays.
Soft counters disable ECM enough to lock on, but doesn't stop the 25% lock delays.

Hard counters:
Counter mode ECM
BAP
ER PPC (Don't ask, I honestly don't know why).
NARC Missile Beacon (fired at ECM user)

Soft counters:
Sweet spot (the range in which you can lock onto them regardless; varies with your sensor range).
TAG (the 25% lock speed bonus is pit against ECM's 25% lock delay penalty, cancelling each other out for normal lock speed instead of accelerated lock speed).
PPC (allows locks, does not cancel 25% lock delay).

Interesting stuff:
Artemis (for LoS, interestingly, Artemis's 25% lock speed bonus does work... But if the enemy is soft-countered, its your 25% bonus versus their 25% penalty so they cancel out).
NARC Missile Beacon -- ECM destroys this on anyone other than itself.

Hope that helps.

#942 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

Which is why that's a better entry in the new player help forums than a signature. =)

PPC overload of 'mech electrical systems, such as targeting computers and sensors (from simultaneous hits, technically) has been part of several games and fictional elements over the years - I'd thought it was an optional rule somewhere, too, but I haven't found it in my ruleset. Essentially, this electrical overload property made it a lore-friendly hard-counter option, as well as a situational buff to weapons that haven't always been that good (particularly ERPPCs.)

PS: 180m, while canon, was too much range given the system's capabilities in-game. Without the sensor overhaul (which I think they're still planning) allowing for delayed detection times, the fix I personally wanted isn't possible - so it made a lot of sense to restrict the range.

Edited by Void Angel, 27 November 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#943 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 27 November 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

Which is why that's a better entry in the new player help forums than a signature. =)

PPC overload of 'mech electrical systems, such as targeting computers and sensors (from simultaneous hits, technically) has been part of several games and fictional elements over the years - I'd thought it was an optional rule somewhere, too, but I haven't found it in my ruleset. Essentially, this electrical overload property made it a lore-friendly hard-counter option, as well as a situational buff to weapons that haven't always been that good (particularly ERPPCs.)

Tech Manual for BT has the following tidbits of interest:
Topic of PPCs, page 233, see highlighted (until end of sentence)
Posted Image
Some more, page 234. This is where I think people get the idea that it should interfere with electronics; it'd interfere with yours if you turned off the field inhibitor.
Posted Image

Other references:
Posted Image
Basically states that the skeleton gets rid of the PPC static and isn't really affected. This is despite the 'dense web'.

Image: Structural Skeleton. Topic: Myomers (Mech muscles) part 1:
Posted Image

Note: I edited this following page by placing the Myomer image (formerly above the text) overtop of the topic and image of armor.
PPC reference in how electrical static from PPCS have virtually no effect.
Posted Image

#944 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

You can often find one bit of fluff to contradict another, particularly when sampled over the course of different publications; the Technical Readout 3050, revised mentions the effect I cited - heavy-handed data dumps don't change that.

Edited by Void Angel, 28 November 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#945 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:07 AM

Last not least its a game and the game should meet the requirements for a game. The haywire effect of charged particle weapons makes some sense. But ECM should also be disabled by any weapon hit. It is worse enough that a 'Mech-sensors are not able to see 100tons moving through the wood. But when you use some MW of Killer Light to paint it - there should be a clear response.

A pity that ECM count only as LRM counter - because it should be so much more -same as Radar Derp - you only see the obvious effect on LRM - but more important and more damagin is the effect on coordinating a PUG game (coordination and focus fire) Good luck - calling target Hotel - that with Radar Derp is moving behind a house and the "link" is lost in the same moment before your team members were even able to hit "Q"

LRM mechanics need a complete rework - decouple it from info warfare

Edited by Karl Streiger, 29 November 2016 - 02:10 AM.

#946 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

I disagree. Learn to play without red blops on your radar. I would reduce sensor ranges by 75% in general, making it harder to see permanent red dots on your map. Use heat vision or night vision or UAV.

Edited by Quandoo, 08 June 2018 - 07:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users