Ever Gotten So Lazy To Deal With A Fresh Active Enemy Assault Mech That You Decided To Just Deliberately Headcap It?

46 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

As title says.

I had such a game just yesterday. It was Conquest in Mining Colony. I took my mech out for a ride and had killed maybe a couple guys before and took moderate damage.

I approached Theta only to realise a fresh enemy AS7-D-DC is coming towards me as well. I mentally groaned "Do I really have to deal with him? I don't want to deal with him for long." He came to a standstill for some reasons, then I just pointed at his cockpit at point-blank range and the next thing I knew, it went down in smokes. I felt sorry for him afterwards.

I don't know about players residing in the upper Elo ranges, but I'm only average casual at best (and rated below-average by more competitive players - which I am inclined to agree with). I say this because better players tend to minimise any forms of vulnerability.

Does anyone else had such moments happen?

Edited by Matthew Ace, 26 July 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

Was in my executioner a while back, and I found a powered down fresh wolverine hiding in a corner of mordor early in the match (who knows why).

So I gave him an alpha to the cockpit. Still kinda wondering if the player was madly pushing the P key as he watched an assault walk up to point blank and stare straight at him.

Not an assault mech, but still.

Edited by One Medic Army, 26 July 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#3 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

OH GOD YES.

In my Gauss Yager, I try to remind myself as much as possible to aim for faces.

Sometimes I feel bad, especially if I punch a hole in a light, but then there are those moments where a DireWolf stands atop a rocky precipice, raining death down upon your team, disdaining to carry out even the barest hint of torso twisting...

Until my carefully aimed gauss splatters their tiny DireBrains all over the DireFloor.

It's especially cathartic if they call you a cheater afterwards.

[WhinyDire]: "OMG I NEVER DIE TO HEADSHOTS IMMA REPORT YOU AAAAAAA"
[Kiiyor]: "You should learn to torso twist. I think there are videos of it on YouTube. Just search for MWO new player guides or something like that."
[Kiiyor]: "You're welcome!"
[WhinyDire]: "&#@$*( &*@#(* %$&#$$^^&@ ^$#^*& $# (##($*$"

#4 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

A highlander popped his head over the hill on a crimson the other day. I was nestled next to those box-looking things between the two hills. He looked at me, I looked at him. I winked 9 small pulse lasers into his eye. He turned and began his slow backwards retreat, obviously hearing his cockpit alarm screaming at him. Then he probably saw that it was his head and nothing else on him critical. So he figured it was a lucky shot and stopped reversing and turned back to face me again.

I still haven't moved an inch. He lines back up to me. I hit me l my mouse 3 key (which is chain fire) and I put 1 small pulse laser into his eye. Again.

The best part was the mech didn't even fall over all the way. It just kind of slumped into its center of gravity and looked like it was crying smoke, silently, to itself.

#5 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

My favorite is when I hit the cockpit and crit it, but not kill the mech. Player's often freak out once that critical damage alarm goes off, and most often it's right behind the cover they're poking from...

...and that's when the arty strike goes off.

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

Recently, I've been actively trying for headshots. Nearly a dozen I've actively tried to get recently.

Testing the science of the 34% of 3 PPCs to decapitate fully armoured cockpits, and 17% of Dual Gauss (which goes to 42% with as little as 17 armour).

They are hard to get...but oh so satisfying. One that comes to mind is a 800M Timby headshot...silly pilot only had 12 armour. Didn't need any crits to take that one out.

Atlai are probably the only thing you can headshot with regularity, because the hitbox is clearly defined (the eye) while Canopy windowed mechs are one of 7 or so glass panes...much harder to identify. My monitor isn't large enough to define much else past 200M.

#7 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

I think we can say with certainly that it's easier to identify the head hitbox on 'Mechs present since closed beta, and especially those available for turkey shoot on testing grounds.

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 26 July 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

My favorite is when I hit the cockpit and crit it, but not kill the mech. Player's often freak out once that critical damage alarm goes off, and most often it's right behind the cover they're poking from...

...and that's when the arty strike goes off.

*sniff* That's among the most evil things I ever read :')

Edited by Matthew Ace, 26 July 2015 - 10:48 PM.

#8 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

Ha, i was piloting a Atlas S full brawler, i spawn on Frozen and i was going for C3 the higher ground. Hide behind a building till i saw something on my seismic. I quickly snucked around the corner and i saw.. nothing. Then i suddenly see a Urbie popping his head up looks at me and i answer with a full SRM salvo in the face.

All within a minute or so. Both funny and felt bad. Apologised though, i shouldnt have. But the kill was so funny when you imagine his head popping just above the ground and then get a full salvo in the face for such a small mech!

Edited by Sarlic, 27 July 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#9 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

View PostSarlic, on 27 July 2015 - 12:05 AM, said:

Ha, i was piloting a Atlas S full brawler, i spawn on Frozen and i was going for C3 the higher ground. Hide behind a building till i saw something on my seismic. I quickly snucked around the corner and i saw.. nothing. Then i suddenly see a Urbie popping his head up looks at me and i answer with a full SRM salvo in the face. All within a minute or so. Both funny and felt bad. Apologised though, i shouldnt have. But the kill was so funny when you imagine his head popping just above the ground and then get a full salvo in the face for such a small mech!

Im playying urbies quite a lot. Have faced tons of situation like this, and I can tell ya, when people see Urbie in front of them, they start behaving like a maniacs. I mean, people are mad, and know urbies are rare. Somtimes, 4-5 mechs just start to hunt me like a dog. even heavies.... people turn away from current battle, just to get the urbie kill..... dunno why.
But once i had situation, where i wander alone, and faced assault (think it was la malinche, or so...) We look at each other, and i was awaiting his salvos on me. But he saw its an urbie... turn away, without single shot.... When i saw it, i cant shoot at him... so , we just "know" about each other... and walk to other fights... was good feeling somehow, even it was with enemy...

Edited by Titannium, 27 July 2015 - 12:38 AM.

#10 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:42 AM

Never underestimate a 2 LPL Urbie. Those can hurt!

#11 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

View PostSarlic, on 27 July 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

Those are loads of fun.

If you can keep your range of engagement at 250-300m zone, the 60L with 1 LPL 3 MPL is vicious.

#12 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:53 AM

View PostSarlic, on 27 July 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

UAC5 or ML+LL+MPL combos. DEATH MACHINEs :)

#13 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:22 AM

I used to play with a lot of timberwolves that stood still so I got a few headshots off them while they were aiming at me or something. I took out a highlander with 4 ER LL from my Awesome when it was peeking out of cover and standing still to line a shot in a different direction. I was about 70 degrees to his right side and he was aiming at teammates. He didn't move for the entire burn so he popped.

#14 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:53 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 26 July 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

[WhinyDire]: "OMG I NEVER DIE TO HEADSHOTS IMMA REPORT YOU AAAAAAA"
[Kiiyor]: "You should learn to torso twist. I think there are videos of it on YouTube. Just search for MWO new player guides or something like that."
[Kiiyor]: "You're welcome!"
[WhinyDire]: "&#@$*( &*@#(* %$&#$$^^&@ ^$#^*& $# (##($*$"

This. Gauss-Jagers are top-tier cheaters :lol: Pretty much anytime you land headshot with duall gauss you will be claimed as "Haxzooorr!!!111".
As for OP - did this many times with Atlai, a couple of times with awesomes (those were dual-AC20s in one salvo to the head), and one pretty much lucky shot against fresh DRG-1N with my cherry-red dual-gauss jager (cause there was no hope to kill him the other way). I don't even try to count DWFs, suffering with headshots, guess their headbox is huge.

Edited by DuoAngel, 27 July 2015 - 01:54 AM.

#15 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:24 AM

best is when you head cap a light at full tilt. It doesn't happen often but when it does it is ever so funny

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

View PostTitannium, on 27 July 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

Im playying urbies quite a lot. Have faced tons of situation like this, and I can tell ya, when people see Urbie in front of them, they start behaving like a maniacs. I mean, people are mad, and know urbies are rare. Somtimes, 4-5 mechs just start to hunt me like a dog. even heavies.... people turn away from current battle, just to get the urbie kill..... dunno why.
But once i had situation, where i wander alone, and faced assault (think it was la malinche, or so...) We look at each other, and i was awaiting his salvos on me. But he saw its an urbie... turn away, without single shot.... When i saw it, i cant shoot at him... so , we just "know" about each other... and walk to other fights... was good feeling somehow, even it was with enemy...

Urbie is the only Mech I haven killed yet. I think its because they don't have a lot of speed (even with max engine) and therefore don't get away from enemies long enough for my waddling Monster to get in range.

#17 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 July 2015 - 02:27 AM, said:

Urbie is the only Mech I haven killed yet. I think its because they don't have a lot of speed (even with max engine) and therefore don't get away from enemies long enough for my waddling Monster to get in range.

107 kph, is good enough for urbie-size mech. he is extremely small, so if you have some medicore piloting skills, you can make a HELL to heavies/assaults. im getting killed mostly from lights.....

ye, and btw, we played 2 days ago together, i was like, chmmm.. now we get some special-army-tactics in this game..... and then ... you RAMBOs your atlas, and died first within 1 minute on frozen... :D :D :D :lol: i was like WTF...

#18 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:03 AM

View PostTitannium, on 27 July 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

107 kph, is good enough for urbie-size mech. he is extremely small, so if you have some medicore piloting skills, you can make a HELL to heavies/assaults. im getting killed mostly from lights.....

ye, and btw, we played 2 days ago together, i was like, chmmm.. now we get some special-army-tactics in this game..... and then ... you RAMBOs your atlas, and died first within 1 minute on frozen... :D :D :D :lol: i was like WTF...

Hey we need a change of pace sometimes. :lol:

#19 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:04 AM

View PostTitannium, on 27 July 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

I have RAMBO'ed my Atlas a couple of days ago on River City as well. I was on the G line as many other friendlies but our team failed to communicate that on our left a whole bunch of angry mechs was all stacked.

I was hoping to reach the city in time for some neat cover.

I got to the first rock and wanted to cross the water. I got shredded in seconds. Was twisting but no match against a group.

I apologied the wrong insight from my part and left the game. Ofcourse i laughed about my action. Wont hopefully happen that fast again.

Edited by Sarlic, 27 July 2015 - 03:05 AM.

#20 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:07 AM

I've been on the receiving end of this a lot in my Hunchies. The problem is, I tend to get a thousand yard stare going on when I poke just the shoulder over a hill, and spam the Gauss/AC20/LRM10/ALLTEHMEDUMS! Especially when what I'm shooting at can't identify me immediately. The only issue is, usually his friend, the Gigawhale, WILL notice me, at which point Dual Gauss, meet face. Face, meet Dual Gauss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users