Aim Assist

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Aim assist (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Should this feature be in the game?

1. Yes (8 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (32 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mine Turtle

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:34 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a simple suggestion to add leading reticule to the currently targeted mech. If you have targeting computer installed and acquired enough information about enemy mech, a leading circle will appear next to your target. Prediction should be based on relative mech speed and velocity of the first non-laser/lrm weapon in the current weapon group. Moreover, it should be possible to specify which part of the mech you want to target.

This feature was present in MechWarrior 3 and really helped when shooting at distant targets with ballistic weapons. Also, this is going to increase usefulness of targeting computer. Here is a video to show my idea:
Enemy Mad Cat has a small green circle, which shows the pilot where he should fire his active weapon group to hit center torso.

Edited by AOI221, 23 July 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:12 AM

would be good to have for the command console, since it is a lot pointless tonnage and the IS doesn't have any Targeting computers.

yet given how it predicts movement into the shots, I doubt in an online game with client server relation this would work reliable. Especially for people with higher latencies it would screw more stuff up than help.

#3 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostAOI221, on 21 July 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I have a simple suggestion to add leading reticule to the currently targeted mech. If you have targeting computer installed and acquired enough information about enemy mech, a leading circle will appear next to your target. Prediction should be based on relative mech speed and velocity of the first non-laser/lrm weapon in the current weapon group.

No ty good idea but only for solo mode.

Most of people don't know where they have to move when they havent any red triangle on thier HUD now they will only shoot in this " prediction circle " what next a blu rectangle for where they have to jump for go upper ?

For my part i do it alone also let people use their own brain... it's good for them :)

#4 Mine Turtle

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

@Lily from animove
Server knows movement vectors for both mechs, right? Send this information to client, which then can make necessary calculations. I can name several multiplayer(server based) space sims with aim assist. Although it might not be 100% reliable it is still better than nothing.

@Idealsuspect
I do not have issues with using my brain and predicting my shots trajectories. However, when taking snap shots at moving targets, I'd rather take a calculated suggestion. By all mean "prediction circle" is not an aimbot, but rather a recommendation, where you should shoot. It's up to pilot whether take this recommendation or not.

Moreover, this feature should be available only for mechs with tarcomp/comconsole or a special module. This way you have to pay for ability to have aim assist as well as new players will not get used to shooting in the circle.

#5 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostAOI221, on 21 July 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Moreover, this feature should be available only for mechs with tarcomp/comconsole or a special module. This way you have to pay for ability to have aim assist as well as new players will not get used to shooting in the circle.

Why new players should not use this feature ...Why they are learning the game also they are the only one to need it.

This feature exist in real life in every old or modern air fighter also why in a battletech MWO for benefit this, you have to equip the mech with targeting computer, CC or a module
Every mech should have it without anything more like we have HUD or maybe we just dont need it....

Edited by Idealsuspect, 21 July 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#6 Mine Turtle

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 21 July 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

Why new players should not use this feature ...Why they are learning the game also they are the only one to need it.

This feature exist in real life in every old or modern air fighter also why in a battletech MWO for benefit this, you have to equip the mech with targeting computer, CC or a module
Every mech should have it without anything more like we have HUD or maybe we just dont need it....

New players should not use this feature to learn projectiles fly times and not rely solely on targeting circle. Some of trial mechs do not have tarcomp/CC so they will see if this aim assist is really necessary for them.
In my opinion this feature should be tied to targeting computer or CC, as it makes this equipment more viable on ballistic/srms builds. I would sacrifice some heatsinks, if I knew that I am going to hit with my ac5 reliably at max range.

#7 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:56 AM

command console could help a little. but....

#8 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostAOI221, on 23 July 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

New players should not use this feature to learn projectiles fly times

Strange ... anyway

#9 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:35 AM

Well, in 3050, yeah, a targeting computer that weighs several tons SHOULD give you basic functions such as target lead and specific section targeting...

Would it unbalance tha game? Probably..

But hey, if you equip a multi-ton computer, that means you have LESS things to shoot with, but you increase the prescision of things you do shoot, so good balance overall..

Also, target lead was not only present in MW3, it's present in the 1990's in real combat vehicles, so.. yeah... not that SIFI to think about it..

And, yes, it WOULD make targeting computers MUCH more usefull..

#10 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

Only team Mystery Shot even needs the Aim assist. I request all Aim assist be removed from the game. If you can remove r_glow, you can remove all items with Aim in the name.

#11 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

I think it's definitely a cool idea, as long as it's only tied to TCs and CCs. The higher the TC, the smaller circle. ACs not being able to hit moving targets reliably even at optimal range are one of the reasons we see so many lasers, this is an awesome way to level the playing field without making ballistics OP. Clan's ability to mount a heavier/more powerful TC would also help balance the spreading nature of their ACs, keeping them different but potentially equal to their pinpoint IS counterparts. Very cool idea!

#12 Mmerryweather

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

This sort of feature would make sense with the Targeting Computer and Command Console equipments. Hopefully this feature would require line-of-sight or something similar to help with balancing. It should also come with a toggle for players who want the TC or CC, but want to maintain their HUD real estate (or deal with latency). Also, maybe calling it "Aim Assist" creates too short of a bridge to "Aim Bot", so why not "More Realistic Targeting Computers"? Let's not create a whole new Meta here, lawlz.

#13 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

As the owner of targetingcomputer.com, I could post a breakdown of the different in game systems and what it could compute.

For instance, ping could be taken into account, it could work with slower projectiles, it could work within a range, could have calculation delay

These options would allow command consoles to be equivalent but different to a tc3.

Tc1, your ping, projectiles up to 1000 speed, to 550m, .5s delay
Tc2, your ping, 1200,800m,.3s delay
Cc, your ping, target ping, 1800, any object under reticule, .5s delay
Tc3, your ping, target ping, 1800, 1200m, .1s delay
Tc4, both pings, 2100, 1600m, no delay
Tc5, both pings, 2500, any object under reticule, no delay
Tc6, both pings, 3000, any, no delay

I haven't reviewed all the ballistic and missile speeds..this is just the conceptual layout

#14 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:07 PM

The idea reminds me of some space flight sims, X3 or freelancer from memory.
Kinda cool, sorta what you would expect from a targeting Computer, coz targeting

Not sure about game balance, but then again the ones who can aim now , would save the tonnage from a TC so maybe ok.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 13 October 2019 - 12:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users