2 replies to this topic

#1 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

While I haven't actually made a study, I think I'm not alone in feeling that the current mechanic for resource gathering feels unrealistic (within the game) and perhaps a bit too simple.

My suggestion is to change the current mechanic into actually gathering and loading "resources" onto a cargo ship.

Both teams have seen an opportunity to extract resources from an area, both have landed cargo ships and a mech squadrons to secure the resources.
The mission mechanic is simply for the mechs to bring as many resources from any of the extraction sites to their own teams waiting cargo ship, there should be both a time cap and a resource cap for winning, win by either filling your cargo ship first or by having most resources when the cargo ships take off, or kill the enemy mechs.

The current maps can be used, only with the introduction of the cargo ship near each teams spawn area.

When players get into the game and the countdown begins each player gets to choose how to temporarily modify their mech for this game mode, as there is a need for cargo space to ferry the resources from the extraction sites to the cargo ships you will need to sacrifice one or more weapons (weapons only to make it quick to make the modification at the beginning of the match) to make room for the "cargo module", gained cargo space is proportional to the weight of the weapon(s) you choose to replace. You can also opt to not replace anything and be a pure guard or attacker.

To make things balanced there should be an equal amount of cargo space in both teams, let's say 100 units, how these are distributed over the 12 mechs are however up to the teams or players as described before, but if not all cargo units have been selected at the start of the match the remaining units will be randomly distributed among the mechs.
This prevents the teams from just ignoring the cargo mission and going for full guns.

There will be some tactics and strategy here though, how do you distribute the cargo units? Evenly on all 12 mechs, or do you make a few be the "pure haulers" that exchange all their guns for cargo modules and the rest with more guns to guard them and or attack the enemy?

This was just thought up quickly, I'm sure there are some details that would need to change, but overall I think that something like this would feel much better within the game, it could perhaps even be used in CW.

Discuss! :)

Edited by Yellonet, 21 July 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#2 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

Interesting idea.
Though I doubt players will want to turn their mechs into mules. Introducing those temporary options for modifying the mechs at the start of the match may be tricky to work around as well.

I do like the idea of the cargo ships and I think adding more elements like this is where you could go with the idea.
There have been plenty of suggestions for new game modes such as defending a convoy.
I see this working with your suggestion.
Instead of making the mechs the cargo carriers, introduce actual cargo convoys.
When the resource point is captured, the convoy leaves the collection ship, travels to the resource point, spends some time loading up the resources and heads back to the ship.
The convoys don't need to be particularly smart in an AI sense.
For players it would introduce new objectives to the mode.
Protect the collection ship.
Protect the convoy.
Capture and Hold the resource point/s
Destroy enemy convoys.
Destroy the enemy collection ship.

It could even be structured in a way that only one team is doing the resource collection and is effectively the defensive team.
The other team being the raiders.

Good suggestion Yellonet, keep it up.

#3 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:09 AM

View Post50 50, on 21 July 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Interesting idea.
Though I doubt players will want to turn their mechs into mules. Introducing those temporary options for modifying the mechs at the start of the match may be tricky to work around as well.

I do like the idea of the cargo ships and I think adding more elements like this is where you could go with the idea.
There have been plenty of suggestions for new game modes such as defending a convoy.
I see this working with your suggestion.
Instead of making the mechs the cargo carriers, introduce actual cargo convoys.
When the resource point is captured, the convoy leaves the collection ship, travels to the resource point, spends some time loading up the resources and heads back to the ship.
The convoys don't need to be particularly smart in an AI sense.
For players it would introduce new objectives to the mode.
Protect the collection ship.
Protect the convoy.
Capture and Hold the resource point/s
Destroy enemy convoys.
Destroy the enemy collection ship.

It could even be structured in a way that only one team is doing the resource collection and is effectively the defensive team.
The other team being the raiders.

Good suggestion Yellonet, keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback and I really like your ideas!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users