I Hope People Realise How Stupid The Laser Vomit Now Is.

68 replies to this topic

#21 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Actually Clan UACs (especially on the Dire of course) are quite good.

In regards to OP, no LRMs and Streaks do not need to be buffed. There should be an incentive to not use lock-on weapons. The incentive is, if you can aim well, direct fire weapons perform better.

I would not mind seeing more PPCs and Autocannons around, but many fear the PPFLD boogeyman and can't handle it so...

#22 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostFate 6, on 21 July 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

Not everyone wants to pilot an Atlas. We don't want a mixed loadout - it's inefficient. I'd take a pure range build or pure brawl optimization any day. Why? Because I can play that role effectively while my team is still alive instead of doing 2 roles poorly while everyone is dying.

You don't get the point.

#Next.

View PostSummon3r, on 21 July 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

thanks to pgi clan mechs dont have much choice but to use alot of energy builds and erppc is not the "best" choice in many cases

Correct. But i have seen in the little time i had on the EU server the clan ballistic were used pretty good

That's a plus i guess.

Edited by Sarlic, 21 July 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#23 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

As already pointed out, lasers are the most common weapon in TT, the medium laser, like the medium Mech, is the workhorse of the Inner Sphere, so why are you surprised and so against the most common weapon in TT being the most common weapon in MWO?

#24 Triskelion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 226 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

I personally think it's hilarious that a ton of people still complain about how MWO isn't being true enough to Battletech.

I mean it's not like CERMLs, LPLs, Gauss, and ERPPCs were all that was used then when making something optimized, right?

right?

Posted Image

#25 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 21 July 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Until they make ACs, LRMs and SRMs as viable as Lasers have been, or until they find a way to decrease the viability of Lasers, i.e. better heat system, the vomit will unfortunately continue to be the go-to loadout for the mechs that it works best with.

Granted there are mechs out there with quirks specifically for those weapons, DRG-1N and WVR-6R with those AC quirks, but they still are not able to fully compete with laser vomit.

The only real way to fix issues like this is to acknowledge the Heat System needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and needs to incorporate heat penalties and be geared towards firing fewer weapons at once. Until this happens it's going to continue being one issue after another that continue having band-**** slapped on them.

#26 Moment Killer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

TWIST!

#27 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostSarlic, on 21 July 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Everything should -regardless of damage output- been improved. Including LRMs and Streaks.

oh, i imagine the flow of tears when even the current sreaks make so many people cry

View PostAlan Davion, on 21 July 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

a way to decrease the viability of Lasers, i.e. better heat system

you mean worse :3

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 21 July 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

They should implement a system that limits the number of lasers fire-able at once. A mech reactor shouldn't be able to power movement, auxiliary systems, and 5 ERLL at once.

if you try to bring realistic explanations... lasers should generate no heat when they are fired really... may be they (the reactor) should generate some heat while their capacitors are charged

View PostSummon3r, on 21 July 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

thanks to pgi clan mechs dont have much choice but to use alot of energy builds and erppc is not the "best" choice in many cases

this

#28 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

Yep lasers are 400 meter or less dominate weapons. They need to restore Gauss Rifles, PPCs, LRMs and SSRMs to correct functionality.

SSRMs should track and hit in a simulated fashion instead of random dice roll. PPCs should be fast enough to be accurate at 500-600 meters. LRMs need a tighter hit radius footprint and fix Artemis to be canon. Get rid of the charge-up on Gauss Rifles even if they travel a bit slower and take a bit longer to recharge. The charge-up does not make Gauss Rifles long range it makes them short range weapons.

Basically all these weapons are no more deadly than lasers when functioning in BT correct fashion, they just enable tactical gameplay which is why we play MechWarrior instead of CoD or WoT. New players may whine till they understand tactics, but it's for the better in the end. You want MWO to stand out as different.

#29 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

Lasers are best because everything else got nerfed to hell, not because lasers are best. Lasers used to be a joke when AC and PPCs were good.

Edited by Clydewinder, 21 July 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#30 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

Yawn. Change lasers and they will just break something else and make it the FOTM instead. It's been that way since gauss rifles produced no heat, fired instantly, had non-explosive ammo, had 15HP and never exploded even if you depleted its health.

This game has never been in a state where something wasn't blatantly broken, whether it's non-explosive gauss rifles, 90 degree divebombing head seeking LRMs, lag shielded Ravens you can't target armed with Center Torso seeking Streak SRMs, pogo stick FLD mechs, the list goes on and on.

Give me a ring when the game isn't total crap.

#31 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 21 July 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

Yep lasers are 400 meter or less dominate weapons. They need to restore Gauss Rifles, PPCs, LRMs and SSRMs to correct functionality.

SSRMs should track and hit in a simulated fashion instead of random dice roll. PPCs should be fast enough to be accurate at 500-600 meters. LRMs need a tighter hit radius footprint and fix Artemis to be canon. Get rid of the charge-up on Gauss Rifles even if they travel a bit slower and take a bit longer to recharge. The charge-up does not make Gauss Rifles long range it makes them short range weapons.

Basically all these weapons are no more deadly than lasers when functioning in BT correct fashion, they just enable tactical gameplay which is why we play MechWarrior instead of CoD or WoT. New players may whine till they understand tactics, but it's for the better in the end. You want MWO to stand out as different.

If you can not hit with a ppc now it is not PGI's fault. The only problem with my 2xPPC 1 gauss Warhawk is stuff dies way to fast. The extra mobility allows for more better shots than the Dwolf. My 2PPC Kitfox also is getting some great numbers recently.

#32 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostLootee, on 21 July 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Yawn. Change lasers and they will just break something else and make it the FOTM instead. It's been that way since gauss rifles produced no heat, fired instantly, had non-explosive ammo, had 15HP and never exploded even if you depleted its health.

This game has never been in a state where something wasn't blatantly broken, whether it's non-explosive gauss rifles, 90 degree divebombing head seeking LRMs, lag shielded Ravens you can't target armed with Center Torso seeking Streak SRMs, pogo stick FLD mechs, the list goes on and on.

Give me a ring when the game isn't total crap.

Gauss rifle ammo isn't supposed to explode.

All gauss ammo is is basically just a crap-load of metal shaped into a series of spheres or slugs. There's literally no gunpowder or other propellant that can explode, unlike AC or LRM/SRM ammo.

#33 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

I actually believe weapons are better balanced than many people give credit, but it wont stop people from piling on to whatever gets labeled as the meta.

Are there a few exceptionally bad weapons that are effectively dead on arrival? Sure. Is there more work to do to improve balance? You betcha. But it's not as doom and gloom as some people like to insist.

#34 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 21 July 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Gauss rifle ammo isn't supposed to explode.

All gauss ammo is is basically just a crap-load of metal shaped into a series of spheres or slugs. There's literally no gunpowder or other propellant that can explode, unlike AC or LRM/SRM ammo.

Those of us that have been with the game since Closed Beta are well aware that is how it's supposed to work.

But newer players never got to experience the gauss rifle that was hands down the best weapon in the game with non-explosive ammo and non-explosive weapon, instant firing, 0 heat producing, instant PP FLD damage. This broken gauss rifle which did not function the way PGI's own in-game description said it would (the weapon itself could NEVER explode like it's supposed to when crit), is the one I'm talking about and other old timers will remember how ubiquitous it was.

Any mech that had a ballistic slot and 15 tons free would mount one, the single mech that could mount two was the only type of Catapult you'd ever see on the battlefield.

Then you got the Dragon Bowling, divebombing LRMs, lag shielded streak Ravens, 6 PPC Stalkers, splat cats, PPC + AC/5 poptarting, etc...

FOTM after FOTM with a few blatant money grabs in between, that's all this game is.

Edited by Lootee, 21 July 2015 - 03:36 PM.

#35 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostChuck YeaGurr, on 21 July 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

If you can not hit with a ppc now it is not PGI's fault. The only problem with my 2xPPC 1 gauss Warhawk is stuff dies way to fast. The extra mobility allows for more better shots than the Dwolf. My 2PPC Kitfox also is getting some great numbers recently.

try adder, it has ppc quirks

#36 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 21 July 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Actually Clan UACs (especially on the Dire of course) are quite good.

In regards to OP, no LRMs and Streaks do not need to be buffed. There should be an incentive to not use lock-on weapons. The incentive is, if you can aim well, direct fire weapons perform better.

I would not mind seeing more PPCs and Autocannons around, but many fear the PPFLD boogeyman and can't handle it so...

agree on the C-uac's the problem lies in all the locked DHS on clan mechs which in the majority of cases leaves the uac's in a inefficient place as opposed to the lazors

#37 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostPaigan, on 21 July 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Is laser vomit really that stupids?

Lasers have no ammo, hit instantly and are VERY small AND light.
That alone makes them the basic, almost "must have" weapon.

I would love to use ACs, but ever since TT, I find them ridiculously heavy, way too big and still considerable hot.

PPCs miss too much and are too hot.
Missiles, meh.

Conclusion: Laz0rz all the way. Blame stupid BT weapon balance.

I agree with everything... but ppcs dont miss, you do ;)

#38 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostJman5, on 21 July 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

I actually believe weapons are better balanced than many people give credit, but it wont stop people from piling on to whatever gets labeled as the meta.

Are there a few exceptionally bad weapons that are effectively dead on arrival? Sure. Is there more work to do to improve balance? You betcha. But it's not as doom and gloom as some people like to insist.

I think the fact lasers was always the easiest weapon to aim, are usualy lighter and have more mech that can boat them than any other option and only now are they trendy is proof that balance isnt so bad.

#39 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

Think the first step would be understanding the reason for laser vomit which you seemed to miss.

#40 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

View PostPaigan, on 21 July 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Is laser vomit really that stupids?

Lasers have no ammo, hit instantly and are VERY small AND light.
That alone makes them the basic, almost "must have" weapon.

I would love to use ACs, but ever since TT, I find them ridiculously heavy, way too big and still considerable hot.

PPCs miss too much and are too hot.
Missiles, meh.

Conclusion: Laz0rz all the way. Blame stupid BT weapon balance.

Just remember that lasetvhave to be held on target to do full damage if your twisting you torso you spread the damage, with standard laser nor pulse.

We have to run what works and that energy weapons myself I try only too run pulse laser. I usually if it has middle slots run SRM 4 with Artemis. If it has blastic a lot I like lkx 10 PR ac 5 or ultra ac5.

Clan laser or lighter and have better range so I don't fill guilty about running my
Laser mechs at all. Clan mech give up something but have the ability to runxl engine that want kill them when torso is destroyed , they can run both endo and ferro for the same space that one of those takes on is mech. The clan usually hits harder and moves faster than a is mech of same tonnage. I often compare the timber to the atlas and highlander banshee because it hit like them and is as tough as them but agile like a medium.

So my choice is running a laser vomit special that maybe can kill the enemy before I die the other choice is to run a sniping mech that never get closer that 550 meter hits na d move the panther fire start raven come to mind with the raven with ecm being the abovious choice.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users