So What Is The Point Of The Mist Lynx Now That The Ac Literally Does Everything Better?

Balance BattleMechs

428 replies to this topic

#21 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 04 August 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

Whats the point of a locust if firestarter does everything better :P

Whats the point of a summoner when timber does it better
Whats the point of IS mechs when clan does it better lol

FS9 does not do scouting, nor does it do backstabbing as well as the Locust. While it has more firepower and way more endurance, the Locust is easier to sneak around in and can be especially deadly one on one (essentially never allowing an assault to see it while it picks it apart).

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

View Post1453 R, on 04 August 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

Most of the crap people suggest for 'fixing' the Mist Lynx doesn't actually fix the Mist Lynx.

Remove its hardwired CAP, give it an extra 10% speed boost quirk, give it torso energy?

Guess what - the Cheetah is still 100% superior to the Lynx in all ways and forms. More weapons, better weapon/ECM placement, still faster, still better pod space...all of those fixes result in a 'Mech which is simply a bit less crushingly inferior to the Cheetah without actually giving it a role the Cheetah doesn't handily outdo it in.

Better idea - give the Mist Lynx some hardcore bonuses to things like its hardwired probe. Double the ECCM range for the Lynx, double the TIG bonus. Give the Lynx something like four 'Mech module slots. Give it a role, albeit a very narrow one, as the superior reconnaisance/IW 'Mech, when Paul gets around to rebuilding IW the way he's promised to do.

Nothing you can do to the Lynx will ever make it anything but an embarrassment as a combat light now that the Arctic Cheetah's here. Make it an EW platform instead and at least it has a job the Cheetah can't do, even if that job is narrow and generally not desired by many.

I think it's been suggested to make the MLX more useful on the CAP front, but that isn't happening... because PGI™.

Buffing it so that it isn't a "completely worthless" Light (slightly better than the Spider-5V) would be nice. It will never surpass the Arctic Cheater, but at the very least it shouldn't be the Clan Light that is 50 to 66% as effective as a ACH. It should be closer to 75 to 80% as it should be.

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 August 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

Mlynx is now a legit ride for Hipsters!

Oh noes....

#23 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

>Whats the point of a summoner when timber does it better

summoner is faster (speed quirk) and better jumps

also adding a mech/weapon module slot to mlx would be nice too on top of other buffs

and dont forget the cap in the head, adder got their flamer made removable, why lynx should still suffer

#24 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

The Cheetah was meant to replace the Mist Lynx, after all, as per its Sarna page.

I've already sold the Mist Lynxes that I had that wasn't the invasion variant, & as soon as I saw the Arctic Cheetah come up in Wave Three, I knew the MLX's days are numbered.

#25 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

So that you can bring a Hellbi and two Timbers for a drop!

I'm sure there are maybe one or two other combos that could fit, but that's what came to mind.

#26 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

I believe it's pretty normal that newer mechs down the time line are going to make some older models obsolete. Just take the Jenner IiC for example. I don't think we'll see many IS jenners out there once it drops.

#27 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

View Postspectralthundr, on 04 August 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

I don't think we'll see many other lights out there once it drops.

FTFY.

#28 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

View Postspectralthundr, on 04 August 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

I believe it's pretty normal that newer mechs down the time line are going to make some older models obsolete. Just take the Jenner IiC for example. I don't think we'll see many IS jenners out there once it drops.

While true, but the Jenner has been the inferior mech to the Firestarter since quirks were added, so it doesn't help matters in reality.

It's to a point where it needs a buff anyways because of the IIC's release. Hunchbacks are various usable quirks... the Orion... is still an Onion.. and the Highlander is crazy ultra durable with a certain level of agility while still having "mediocre" JJs.

The Jenners by comparison do actually need a buff as a result.

#29 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

Introduce a game mode called "Missions" where a scenario dictating ton limits would be drastically imposed. One like, three lances of low ton (20-30?) lights would skirmish another three. Something like rescuing a far afield outpost/convoy where slow mechs would not be an option and heavier, more battle worthy mech were needed else where.

#30 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 04 August 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

FTFY.

I'll still use my panthers since that's the only light I've been running recently. Didn't hop on the iIC package so I won't be in a Jenner IIC for a long while.

#31 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

View Postspectralthundr, on 04 August 2015 - 06:14 PM, said:

I'll still use my panthers since that's the only light I've been running recently. Didn't hop on the iIC package so I won't be in a Jenner IIC for a long while.

well jenny iic isn't a threat to panthers anyway
panthers are competitors with adders and kit foxes, not with cheetahs and jennies iic

#32 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 04 August 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

Um... it's a symbol of PGI's balancing woes?

It's great nostalgia.

How about CAP removal? That would be something worth aiming for!

I'm actually in favor of CAP removal now, it would make the MLynx more viable for every other build that isn't using streaks now that the Arctic Cheetah is out.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 04 August 2015 - 07:28 PM.

#33 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

The mist lynx lets you take 2 x 75 ton 'mechs and a 65 ton 'mech in CW.

That is its only use.

#34 Light-Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

According to Sarna, the Arctic Cheetah was made to replace the Mist Lynx.
So... *shrugs*

#35 Vargralor

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

With both missile slots on one arm, the Lynx is better at grouping SRM damage tightly. I still find it quite useful to be honest. It also tends to put out a lot more damage over the course of the match as the enemy targets the ACH over it when both are in view.

#36 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Just give the Mist Lynx a few Mech module slots.

#37 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:13 PM

the myst lynx doesnt need the arctic cheetah to be bad, it was bad before it came out and its still bad now, it pretty much can stand on its own as being bad.

make it like the locust, lots of module slots and maneuverability quirks because yeah know, role warfare?

#38 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

What's the point of any of the other Clan lights, for that matter?

#39 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

The better question is: What was ever the point of the myst lynx?

Barely breaks 100, awful mounts, jumps really high. It was only there to fill an extra 25 tons in CW, be a masochist, or play for its 'personality'.

All the other clan lights are sub-par. There's not much to argue. It's not like the Arctic Cheetah made them that way. They were always sub-par.

#40 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

In the PGI world of Battletech's team death match, it doesn't have a place.

It's the end result of cherry-picking lore, band-aid balancing, and cashgrabs. I'm sure in a few years and half a dozen mech packs later... they'll address these issues. But until then, they'd prefer it if you just ignore it like every other glaring issue that exists, hop in your meta and queue up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users