Questions For The Art Director, Dennis De Koning!

54 replies to this topic

#21 Aszot

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGdańsk

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Why are ugly dynamic hardpoints pushed on us, destroying nice looking mechs? Why they are not reverted even after large community backslash, like with catapult? Why is this case always ignored in dev questions and AMAs?

#22 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Any internal ETA on when the Nova's rescaling will finish by?

Any current work in progress being done on mech scaling? or is it sort of on the backburner

#23 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

When are you guys going to standardize mech texture resolution instead of making it random?

#24 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

Why are the new clan mechs darker than the old ones?

#25 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

Tina Benoit and Dennis De Koning,

To echo a question being asked a great deal already: Are there any plans to go back and redo the dynamic weapons geometry of the old mechs? Particularly the ones that have received terribly negative feedback from the community (Commando and Catapult are some of the first ones to come to mind, but most qualify for this).

It was said in another thread, by Arman Abounourinejad, that the reason for the mechs being done the way they were was because of the old geometry was/is difficult to work with. Would it be possible, then, to go back and do complete overhauls of these mechs with all new geometry?

Despite any nostalgia people may have, I think the community could agree that completely redone mechs, that maintain a more cohesive build and function more like the excellent new mechs we're getting, would be much preferable to the "tacked on feeling" of the recent dynamic weapons geometry updates that we've been getting of older mechs.

Thank you, sincerely, for your time and consideration.

Edited by Sereglach, 06 August 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#26 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:55 PM

Cool,

I'd like to second or third the questions on pilots as to ETA? Even for MC it would be awesome!

And for mechs like the Commando, when could they and/or how soon could they see adjustments that match hardpoints and have camo for their casings?

Thanks!

#27 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

Hi,

What kind of work would entail into the rescaling of 'Mechs? We know that it is not simply a matter of adjusting the sizes. And will the rescaling be restricted to a uniform rescale, or can it be kept to the width or height?

#28 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

Which of your works did you like most.
What was the hardest to do?

Edited by Lily from animove, 07 August 2015 - 01:22 AM.

#29 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:11 AM

When are you planning on ruining the Stalkers with your dynamic hardpoint geometry?

#30 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:42 AM

First of all thanx sooo much to give us full camo pattern support on Founders, Hero, Pheonix, Invasion and Resistance mechs! Way to go PGI!

To my questions:
1) Some camo patterns like the "Patton" camo seem to be a mixture of decals and camo patterns. Do future plans on camo consider separating actual camo pattern from unit markings and from pilot/crew inscriptions?
Layer1: Player can choose camo for overall mech
Layer2: Player can choose decals by location (e.g. House Logo Right Arm for Shoulder, Unit logo Left Leg)
Layer3: Player can choose crew/pilot inscriptions by location (e.g. some girls/guys name or funny remark on right torso)
Layer4: Player can choose some Noseart/Pinup by location (e.g. Shark mouth, a cartoon character or Sexy lady/guy)

2) Will there be an option to toggle on/off special geometries in the mechlab?
Yes as sarlic says it would be awesome to get options to modify single parts of the mechs. Like having to choose different head geometries, or different arms or legs. (rounded Timberwolf and Mad Dog leg geometry for everyone!) =)

3) Do you guys want me to proofread your German inscriptions? (Native speaker and playing Btech for nearly two decades!)

4) Will there be an option to create and choose different camo patterns for each map?

5) Will woodland camo be split into a three color variant and a four color variant?
Right now we have a three color variant of the woodland camo like on the Cataphract which resembles the NATO vehicle camo pattern and we got a four color variant of the woodland camo like on the newer mechs like Timberwolf which resembles the US Army clothing pattern.

6) Will polygone camo be split into the regular variant with equal sized polygones and into the more rare variant with small triangles and stripes? Or even a third variant with two polygone stripes?
Right now we have those two or even three variants of the polygone camo. I much prefer the version that came with equal sized polygones like on the first wave invasion mechs. However, there are some mechs like the Raven for example, which have some different camo that looks more like hundreds of small triangles with some polygone stripes painted over. And the third wave invasion mechs yet have another polygone camo like on the shadow cat where there are two polygone stripes on a more solid background color.

With Woodland camo and Polygone camo we basically have the problem of having two or even three different camo patterns under the same name. And the player can not choose which one to get on a certain mech.

3 color NATO vehicle Woodland camo pattern
Posted Image

4 color US uniform Woodland camo pattern:
Posted Image

Equal sized polygone camo pattern:
Posted Image

Two polygone stripes of different color on background polygone camo pattern:
Posted Image

Small triangles with stripes polygone camo pattern:
Posted Image

Edited by Ryoken, 07 August 2015 - 03:24 AM.

#31 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:02 AM

Thank you Tina!

Question:
- Is there any plans for dynamic visual appearances on mechs?
I would love to change different cockpits, armour styles, hands/feet/pauldrons/knee guards,chest plates etc. More unique looks!

Regarding this topic: http://mwomercs.com/...y-best-prn-pic/

Picture to clarify:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please let there be plans. It's a gold mine.

Edited by Sarlic, 07 August 2015 - 03:07 AM.

#32 HollowBassman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

1) Are there any updates on the 'Serious' Cockpit Item Contest! ?

2) Why was the Trebuchet's left forearm moved off center from the rest of the arm when dynamic geometry was added? I assume it was to keep the missile box from sticking out as far if you put an LRM20 on it but it would look better if the part with the hand was centered like before.

3) Why is the Orion cockpit slightly off center? It isn't in the concept art. I've always thought that if something is going to be off center it needs to be way off center so it looks intentional and not like someone misread their tape measure.

Edited by HollowBassman, 07 August 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#33 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostHollowBassman, on 07 August 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

3) Why is the Orion cockpit slightly off center? It isn't in the concept art. I've always thought that if something is going to be off center it needs to be way off center so it looks intentional and not like someone misread their tape measure.

I can answer that.
It's because the Orion in the old artworks always had an off-center cockpit.

Posted Image

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 07 August 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#34 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

Are there any plans to provide improvements or more variety in the 'dynamic' weapon models? Right now, all lasers (for instance) have the same square nub model, regardless of what 'mech or what position they're on, which forces strange results like the Awesome arm not having a barrel. There are also odd issues like the Dragon missile hardpoints having weird black panels that look like they've been glued to the thing's nose even when there are no missile launchers (not that they look good when they've got launchers too) instead of just tubes added to the face of the plate, interrupting the camo scheme. One or two fiddly things like this might be okay, but these surprisingly ugly and widely disliked issues have cropped up all over the place, and there are/have been complaints about them all over the forums.

When rescaling the 'mechs chosen in the poll, are these machines going to be changed only in overall scaling, or will you be choosy about width versus depth versus height? It seems to be the general opinion that, for instance, the Quickdraw is mostly too wide and tall but its depth is fine. Is this sort of thing going to be a consideration, and are you drawing your thoughts from the forums as well as your own experiences, or are you just going ahead with in-house perception of what would best be done to the 'mechs?

What actually is the most difficult part of doing the in-game art for a 'mech? Is this always the same across all 'mechs, or does it change from one to another? What was the hardest 'mech to complete?

#35 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

Will there be Ewoks in the new forest colony map?

If so, might they be part of the destructible environment (i.e. one could shoot or stomp said Ewoks)? :D

River City revamp was great, so very much looking forward to the new forest colony!

#36 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

Question: Where are we at with personalized or Unit Decals? Thanks.

#37 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

Can I ask for - at some point - a "Shrubbery Overhaul" to take place?

The trees, bushes, flowers, grass, etc., all often leave much to be desired - most noticable is when there's no real mesh & it's just a bunch of flat "2d" textures.
Many of the CW maps have "plants" that, to me, just look totally horrendous and many times seem to be changed to colors that do not fit in with the displayed terrain at all.

On the New River City map (NRC for short?), the trees and grass do look fairly nice in comparison, I don't have many gripes about that map in particular when it comes to looks.
But the trees are all suspiciously similar in size and looks. Now, I'm not saying to go to the other extreme and turn NRC into a tree-whoppapalooza with every variant & size imaginable or something...just needs a few fine/light touches, you know?

I know it's not Forest Ranger Online and all - the 'Mechs, buildings, terrain, lighting, all that takes precendence of course - but I for one would appreciate Mother Nature's depiction in this game getting a good makeover.

Edited by Telmasa, 07 August 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#38 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hello, I was wondering on the Clan wave II mechs...

The Mist lynx in specifically suffers from having very large weapons then what it should so to say. With what seems like waste space around the actual weapon. On top of that the Machine guns (which on concept art was very small and both fitted under the arm) now resides as equal size boxes to any other weapon and are on different sides which greatly increases the size of the mechs arm while lossing it's appeal.

On top of that weapons like UAC 2's and such are mounted on top of the hand instead of in the hand (as much as with ER PPC's on nova and such...)

Are these possibly going to get a change?

(note: the hellbringer has a similar problem with machine guns but doesn't affect it's hitbox, just visuals which for some reason has large plates of metalic where in the concept art would be the insignia/ logo for a faction)

Another question which is just a suggestion masked in the form of a question for future maps...

When the updated terra therma (which would be some time away I would imagine) could there be a possibility for more volcanic geological objects around the map as well as lava lakes around the map (with a possible large one) with lack of cover on either end and also some more valleys instead of the claustrophobic paths we got currently?

#39 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostSarlic, on 07 August 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

Thank you Tina!

Question:
- Is there any plans for dynamic visual appearances on mechs?
I would love to change different cockpits, armour styles, hands/feet/pauldrons/knee guards,chest plates etc. More unique looks!

Regarding this topic: http://mwomercs.com/...y-best-prn-pic/

Picture to clarify:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please let there be plans. It's a gold mine.

Would also love a simular thing about adding feline/ bear/ canine/ falco like mouth designs on things like the stormcrow, direwolf, timberwolf, etc CT's... like this

Posted Image

#40 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

Not sure if this question is too late, but:

Is there any chance we will ever be allowed to walk around our hangar bays? I'd absolutely love to be able to see my mechs from a normal human's perspective, and just be allowed to walk around and ogle them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users