Questions For The Art Director, Dennis De Koning!

54 replies to this topic

#41 HollowBassman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

I know this post is too late but maybe it can be remembered for the next Q&A.

Is it possible to have different textures(shiny and smooth vs faded, old and dented) that we could select or buy like we currently do colors and camo? I like the weathered look that most of my old IS mechs have. Sparky and some of the newer mechs don't seem to look as old or used and I would prefer a consistent look across all my mechs.

Edit- Some examples of possible textures that could be sold: shiny new(current clan), lightly weathered(newer IS), moderately weathered,(older IS), heavily weathered(deeper chips, scratches), bullet riddled(misery, resistance), kaiju survivor(claw and bite marks).

Edited by HollowBassman, 08 August 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#42 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:31 AM

Why do IS mechs look like being used with scratches on the metal, while clan look like factory new with their shiny textures. Clan mechs have way too many reflections on their texture.

#43 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:39 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 08 August 2015 - 01:31 AM, said:

Why do IS mechs look like being used with scratches on the metal, while clan look like factory new with their shiny textures. Clan mechs have way too many reflections on their texture.

because most iS mechs are decades old... if not hundreds of years old. Some mechs in game haven't really had full fledge production in nearly a thousand years (more like 500 years but you get the point...)

If you have a construction vehicle and used it at least once a week for 500 years your gonna have a lot of wear and tear my friend...

Clan mechs? most of them are less then 100 years old and are still produced heavily- some mechs in game for the clans are less then a year old (most S variants, jenner IIC, shadowcat, ebon jaguar, etc). so yea...

#44 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:47 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 08 August 2015 - 03:39 AM, said:

because most iS mechs are decades old... if not hundreds of years old. Some mechs in game haven't really had full fledge production in nearly a thousand years (more like 500 years but you get the point...)

If you have a construction vehicle and used it at least once a week for 500 years your gonna have a lot of wear and tear my friend...

Clan mechs? most of them are less then 100 years old and are still produced heavily- some mechs in game for the clans are less then a year old (most S variants, jenner IIC, shadowcat, ebon jaguar, etc). so yea...

But they shouldn't be as shiny as they are currently. It just looks weird. Like they were never used before.

#45 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:25 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 08 August 2015 - 03:47 AM, said:

But they shouldn't be as shiny as they are currently. It just looks weird. Like they were never used before.

in some cases that's the truth... Timberwolf S... Ebon jaguar... Direwolf S.... Kitfox S... Shadowcat... All of those things first combat is 3050 aka now.

however question: are we talking about the mech in general or the specific camo options for them ie Jade falcon, clan wolf, etc (which are very glimmery and shiny)

#46 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:05 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 08 August 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

in some cases that's the truth... Timberwolf S... Ebon jaguar... Direwolf S.... Kitfox S... Shadowcat... All of those things first combat is 3050 aka now.

however question: are we talking about the mech in general or the specific camo options for them ie Jade falcon, clan wolf, etc (which are very glimmery and shiny)

Mechs in general. Those are war machines, they get hit, they are not factory new. The current look is only valid if the mechs were never used before. Look the cockpit glass with those scratches, it does not fit together with the rest of the mech.

Btw, this thread was for questions, not discussions. :P

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 08 August 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#47 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:33 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 08 August 2015 - 05:05 AM, said:

Btw, this thread was for questions, not discussions. :P

and that always gets me... a question is part of a discussion but a discussion is not part of a question >=C

#48 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

Even a brand new Battlemech or Omnimech should not sparkle because of mat paint.

Only those insane mechjox in the solaris 7 arenas I can imagine to use gloss vanish or even flip flop paint to get more attention and popularity.

But in the field attention and popularity are no things to be keen for... at least if you are a sane mechwarrior!
=)

Edit.:

View PostNightshade24, on 08 August 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

I think we need to distinguish between parade patterns here and camo patterns. Parade patterns are for ceremonial duty so they may sparkle and in field the jade falcons usually use apropriate camo patterns for obvious reasons.

Edited by Ryoken, 08 August 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#49 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hi,
can we get some highres wallpapers (actually, PGI had never released any wallpapers, so you ought like to fill that gap) in the CAD-scheme style of recent event art? I mean that cool Urbie picture:
Posted Image

I would absolutely love to see all Clan Mechs art/wp in such stylization. Thanks in advance!

#50 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,620 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

Well, I'm late to this party.

#51 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 08 August 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

and that always gets me... a question is part of a discussion but a discussion is not part of a question >=C

I took the liberty to create a thread in the Suggestion forum about paint effect as ii is obvious everyone would love to decide how their mech look.

#52 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

When will you guys fix the Summoner animation? The Hellbringer has the same lower torso and arms and yet it's gait and posture are 10x better. Can you please give the Summoner the same movement animation?

#53 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostTheSilken, on 10 August 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

When will you guys fix the Summoner animation? The Hellbringer has the same lower torso and arms and yet it's gait and posture are 10x better. Can you please give the Summoner the same movement animation?

Apart from the jerky arm glitch on the Summoner, i actually prefer its running animation over Hellbringer's. The standing animation is worse, because it has this awkward squat that is also apparent in other mechs like the Quickdraw. (It used to be on the Jagermech and Blackjack too, but it was changed.)

#54 ThunderHart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

Disappointing Mech Designs

Pilot Name: ThunderHart
User: Founder
Mainly assault pilot
Owned Mech's: 146 I think.

Concept Art Great !!

But I have stopped purchasing Mech packages due to the following Zeus design was disappointing and not even close to the concept art.

Executioner: Mech hard points no balance, the Executioner low swung arm not a good design and this is not the fearsome looking mech that it should be.
Example: Atlas is on station it gets everyone attention please do not touch, but you can make the ballistic and missile hard point stronger.

No matter what you do large mech will always be easy to hit so please stop making them slender and make them more fearsome looking as an assault mech should.

Their was nothing wrong with the Awesome it is lore now there are missiles all over the mech even on the plate that protects the shoulders really!

Zeus – Looks like someone first attempt please redesign.a good refers would be mechwarrior 4 Merc

Awesome – This was one of the better looking Assault mech's but to many changes can have the reverse effect the beam weapons changes on the 9M chest are great but the right arm is not a gun which really looks out of place. This should be ether put back or go to the concept art an get as close as possible.
Remember it is the CLAN's who uses module designs not the Inner Sphere

Dragons – The gun arms is large already to house med size weapons should be no problem and the nose you do know that the rocket packs are even numbered right it looks strange.

What are these little orange dots that are all over the place can we get missiles tube that look like it?

Please if you are adding new things start with new mech's, these new changes are not complimentary to the current mech's

I am adding my thoughts to these classic mech's their will be more to come. I will be constructive as much as possible.

#55 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Looking forward to the new dev vlog. Thanks again Tina for allowing us to purpose our questions for the show.

Here are my questions below:

#1 So how does the responsibility of the art design tie in with that of level design? Is level design also part of the art department's responsibilities?

#2 How does the art department take concept art from someone like "shimmering sword" and use that to make new mechs? Are changes made to reflect game balance and design? What other astetic changes happen? How does the art department make the animation for the mechs?

#3 What art styles were experimented with MWO before it took the shape that it was today?

Edited by CainenEX, 10 August 2015 - 02:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users