- - - - -

Warhawk Or Dire Wolf?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Traumkampfer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:42 AM

Finally saved up the massive 17 million to get one of these, and was curious: Which one is better, the Warhawk or the Dire Wolf?

All of the quirks on the Warhawk seem to give it almost equal armor to the Wolf, and its faster. But the Wolf seems like it can mount more weapons?

I'm mostly wanting one or the other because they look kind of like Dreadnaughts from Warhammer 40k, and I'm a big fan of that franchise :P

So I'd be mostly mounting missiles and ballistics for a medium-close range mech

#2 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostTraumkampfer, on 06 August 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Finally saved up the massive 17 million to get one of these, and was curious: Which one is better, the Warhawk or the Dire Wolf?

All of the quirks on the Warhawk seem to give it almost equal armor to the Wolf, and its faster. But the Wolf seems like it can mount more weapons?

I'm mostly wanting one or the other because they look kind of like Dreadnaughts from Warhammer 40k, and I'm a big fan of that franchise :P

Both mechs work very well with ballistics as you considering.

The Warhawk has less potential firepower in order to gain speed 71 kph instead of 53 kph. That speed can be very valuable if you PUG as your teamates will often leave slow mechs like the DW to fend for themselves. If you like going it alone or play with a reliable team, the DW should out perform the WH.

If you are still unsure, try both as trial mechs (or maybe a friend can let you try on their account). It is a huge c-bill investment to get the 3 mechs needed to master the chasis.

Edited by SilentScreamer, 06 August 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#3 Traumkampfer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

I've been using the Dire Wolf in CW and as a trial mech for a bit, I like its firepower since it makes other mechs just crumble, but feel its really sluggish, so thats what had me thinking about the Warhawk as well. Sadly the WH isnt available as a trial right now x.x

#4 Euphoric1RW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

The dire wolf is slow pig, make sure you get the jump jet variant S or at least the omnipods for greater maneuverability. If you don't like being the slow whale on the map, get the war-hawk, they glide, very nice!! I prefer the war-hawk myself. You should be able to build what you want using the warhawk.

#5 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

I'll just copy what I said in an identical thread about a week ago:

The Warhawk is superior to the Dire Wolf in Community Warfare. The Dire Wolf is automatically considered a priority target, its maneuverability makes it extremely vulnerable in both brawling and sniping(peeking) situations, and its weight prevents you from fully utilizing the rest of your drop deck. You see Warhawks FAR more often in CW than you see Dire Wolves. There's a reason for that.

The Dire Wolf is superior to the Warhawk in standard matches. The firepower it can carry makes up a much larger percentage of your team's total firepower when it is one out of twelve 'Mechs instead of one out of forty-eight. You meet a lot more players who are relatively inexperienced at the game. "Safe spots" from which to engage the enemy are more common and more varied in nature. The Warhawk does have some significant advantages over the Dire, but overall, the Dire's a better performer here.

Both 'Mechs can do well in standard matches, as they have distinct strengths. If you want to do well in CW, go Warhawk. No ifs ands or buts

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

it depends,

the Dire Wolf can carry more firepower than any other Mech, but it has a major tradeoff to fit that firepower, it is slow and the least agile Mech in the game, meaning if anything manages to get in close it is in serious trouble because it will have trouble bringing its guns to bear, even the other 100 ton Mechs the Atlas and King Crab are both capable of bringing a larger engine so they can outmaneuver and kill a Dire Wolf because the Dire Wolfs firepower does no good if it cannot hit the target.

the Warhawk does not have anywhere near as much tonnage for weapons as the Dire Wolf, but it is much faster, and has a lot of fixed heatsinks, meaning it is great at mounting several large energy weapons, its biggest disadvantage is that from some angles it looks identical to the Dire Wolf, so occasionally people will focus fire it thinking something along the lines of help, Dire Wolf, Kill it.

personally I am able to do OK in a Warhawk, but am completely hopeless in the Dire Wofl because I just cannot work with something that slow and sluggish

#7 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

As many people are saying the Dire wolf is a heavy hitter with slow speed. The warhawk is faster but carries less weapons.

The Direwolf is built with space in mind ,but for all that space you pay in speed

The Warhawk carries less weapons goes faster ,but overall it will do less damage than a dire ,but it's more manuverable enabling it to aim at it's targets with quicker responce time, but you pay for that in less armor.

#8 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

One of my teammates had a Dire Wolf, he finally sold it due to fact that it was not fast enough, also the price. Clan Mechs are expensive and to master the Dire Wolf brings the grind to hellish proportions. He got himself a Zeus.

What ever you may choose, the Dire Wolf or War Hawk, both are good mechs but price and time, It is an extra to consider.

#9 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:01 PM

I have both and I prefer the Warhawk, but that's mostly because my playstyle is much more mobile and I appreciate the speed and maneuverability that the Warhawk brings to the table. The sluggishness of the Dire Wolf is hard to deal with but the firepower is unmatched.

#10 Jalthibuster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

For the DW you usually really need team mates supporting you otherwise you very likely will get ***** in Puglandia.
And considering your play style, one simply does not bring missiles with a whale. Period! ;)

Edited by Jalthibuster, 06 August 2015 - 01:23 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

This is probably gonna be one of the smallest, simplest posts ever.

Warhawk: Choose for any of the following reasons: Speed. Lots of missiles. ER PPC quirks.
Dire Wolf: Choose for Autocannons or extreme boating of anything (except missiles).

Enjoy!

#12 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

I prefer Warhawk with 2 large pulse lasers+2 er-ppcs because it's faster and more agil. Dire Wolf is a heavily armed turret with a horrible torso turn angle.

Edited by Steve Pryde, 06 August 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#13 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

I love them both. I don't know if I would want to pick just one. While both assaults, they fill somewhat different roles. Much of this has already been covered, so I'm not helping at all. I've done quite well in either chassis, but for some reason I have a soft spot for the Dire. I've published my loadouts in another thread, and there's lots of guidance on here for both. All I'll say is that the Dire's "maneuverability" is a turn off for a lot of people.

#14 Kryton77

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

If you want lots of fire power then do Dire Wolf, but like others have said they are very slow and get targeted first. I personally prefer the Warhawk, can get some nice damage with four large **** lasers.

#15 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostTraumkampfer, on 06 August 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

It's really a simple choice between firepower, and agility.

If you like your mechs more on the firepower side, the Direwolf is the mech you want. Hands down, no other mech can bring as many big guns to a fight (At max armor, you have 50.5 tons of free space for weapons, and DHS)

If you like your assaults to move quickly, and maneuver like a 60 ton mech, then the Warhawk is your gal. She moves fast, and packs a mean punch.

I have to make this clear though: A warhawk will never bring more firepower than a Direwolf, when both mechs are built right. However, the Warhawk moves at least 20 Kph faster, and has about as much protection, with a very good payload.

So TL;DR: Do you want more firepower, or more mobility?

#16 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:27 PM

Personally i would recommend the warhawk, because the sluggish feeling of most assaults are not obvious with it.

Positioning, movement and battle awareness are needed more in a direwolf. You can't get out fast enough, so once you commit or are engaged you have to see it through to the end.

On the other hand, the warhawk can hit and run and escape, something the direwolf, atlas and king crab cannot.

#17 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:22 AM

Warhawk. A.K.A. Super Stalker.

#18 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 August 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

It's really a simple choice between firepower, and agility.... I have to make this clear though: A warhawk will never bring more firepower than a Direwolf, when both mechs are built right...

So TL;DR: Do you want more firepower, or more mobility?

It should be noted that the difference in agility between the Warhawk and Dire Wolf is so large, that most new-ish players will probably get more actual, on-target firepower by using a Warhawk. Having all the guns in the world won't mean a thing unless you're able to actually use them. The Warhawk moves well enough that you can get to where you need to be at any time. The Dire is more like a walking fortress. You hope the enemy shows up, but if it doesn't, you're stuck doing 200 damage by the end of the match.

#19 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 07 August 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

It should be noted that the difference in agility between the Warhawk and Dire Wolf is so large, that most new-ish players will probably get more actual, on-target firepower by using a Warhawk. Having all the guns in the world won't mean a thing unless you're able to actually use them. The Warhawk moves well enough that you can get to where you need to be at any time. The Dire is more like a walking fortress. You hope the enemy shows up, but if it doesn't, you're stuck doing 200 damage by the end of the match.

100% very true.

QFT

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

If you've only got CB for one...WHK. No mech in the game needs elite efficiencies like the DWF to reach its potential. Unless you can afford three DWFs, don't buy any. And even if you can afford three, they're agony until elited. (I've mastered all five and for the last two simply used GXP through speed tweak because an unleveled DWF is painful to pilot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users