21 replies to this topic

#1 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

As you know, Stalker is the last mech left to receive the (dreaded) dynamic weapon geometry update, which will probably be extremely disappointing and start one (or a dozen) of threads of people (like me) complaining about how bad it looks.
On the bright side, Russ has mentioned that all these Dynamic updates are only the start and the mechs might get another pass (I specifically remember the Catapult being mentioned) and i believe that - well - a LOT of mechs will need it.

In this thread i'll be going over the Trebuchet and my suggestions on how its dynamic weapon geometry could be improved (without going overboard with hundreds of different models for each and every weapon possibility). Depending on the reception of them, i might make more of them for other mechs.
I'd like to point out that these aren't meant to look perfect, they're meant to be at least "acceptable(by my standards, which are as of recently - pretty low)" and "not as ugly as they are now".
There's going to be a lot of images in spoiler tags, divided by the corresponding component the weapons are on, so continue at your own discretion.

Right Torso
Spoiler

Left Torso
Spoiler

Right Arm
Spoiler

Left Arm
Spoiler

Well, that'd be it for the Trebuchet's geometry.
However, there's also another, aesthetic nitpick i have with it.
It stems from its JJs. That is, it has Jump Jet ports on its legs, which are not animated (while the torso LACKS JJ ports, but is animated.) (Quickdraw has the same problem with its CT JJ port being non-animated)
Posted Image

And that'd be the end of the post.
I'd like to hear your opinion on it and i might make more of these for the old mechs that were molested by the Dynamic Geometry Pass team.

And as to why i did the Trebuchet?
Well, i feel she deserves it. She was the poster-child of oversized medium mechs, but didn't even make into the Re-scale polls, she's an underused, underappreciated mech that needs a face-lift to maybe make her popular again.

I do realize, other mechs have it worse, when it comes to Dynamic Geometry (The Dragon, Commando, Catapult, but those mechs.. Those mechs got the attention of the forums, while the trebuchet just went in and went away without people blinking an eye.)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 08 August 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#2 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:19 AM

How about rewokring the A-1 so it doesnt look like its juggling old VCRs?

Why is it players make these things look less trashy than the makers of the game lol

#3 HollowBassman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

The left forearm definitely needs re-centered like it was before dynamic geometry. I don't like how the left torso weapons overlap what looks like a vent. Other than that I like how it looks currently. (not counting scale)

I wouldn't mind the painted areas around the weapons or right arm being longer but I don't like the proposed square missile boxes for the arms. They look out of place to me since the rest of the mech is very angled.

Edited by HollowBassman, 08 August 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#4 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 08 August 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

How about rewokring the A-1 so it doesnt look like its juggling old VCRs?

Why is it players make these things look less trashy than the makers of the game lol

Well, the Catapult A1 already has a 73 page thread about it. (and Russ has said something about reworking the Catapult's some day)
http://mwomercs.com/...-broken-the-a1/

I'm just trying to bring attention to the other poor victims of Dynamic Geometry crew, the victims that were never as popular as the Catapult, the victims that gone unnoticed.

#5 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

I like your ideas on missle and ballistics very much.
Not a fan of what you did to energy hardpoints, though.
I'd like them more like weapons and less like sensors.
Very interesting work anyway!

#6 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

Nice work! Dynamic geometry is a cool idea but very poorly implemented for a lot of mechs in my opinion. It is sad and frustrating to see the art assets of the game get worse over time. I wish if they would just stop with it until it actually looks good instead of making the mechs look like they were cobbled together from the scrapheap. What they did to the Catapult and Commando should be a crime.

#7 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

The Loup de Guerre approves of this thread.

#8 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 08 August 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

I like your ideas on missle and ballistics very much.
Not a fan of what you did to energy hardpoints, though.
I'd like them more like weapons and less like sensors.
Very interesting work anyway!

The energy weapons looking like sensors might be more of a problem of me not being able to draw them :lol:
Basically, i want so that the lasers wouldn't stick out of the barrels (or the torso) and would look like they're actually integrated into the mech itself, instead of being just sloppily slapped onto it (It's not an omnimech).

Even more basically, i want the lasers to look like they did BEFORE the Dynamic geometry pass.
Posted Image

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 08 August 2015 - 09:35 PM.

#9 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:29 PM

Isn't it amazing how the player base dreads these DG passes, with instantaneous outcries of "NOOOOO NOT MY [X]" whenever Piranha announces the next victim...and yet they keep doing it?

Piranha. This is a case where less work gets you more goodwill. Knoggidoff already.

#10 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

View Post1453 R, on 08 August 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

Isn't it amazing how the player base dreads these DG passes, with instantaneous outcries of "NOOOOO NOT MY [X]" whenever Piranha announces the next victim...and yet they keep doing it?

Piranha. This is a case where less work gets you more goodwill. Knoggidoff already.

Well, only a single mech is left to be butchered.

The Stalker.
After that? Who knows, we might get second passes to make them less ugly. (Which is what i'm hoping for with this thread.)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 08 August 2015 - 10:46 PM.

#11 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 08 August 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

After that? Who knows, we might get second passes to make them less ugly. (Which is what i'm hoping for with this thread.)

I wish I had as much faith as you. New content is king in MWO, there's no money in fixing old things. If they were going to fix dynamic geo to look good, it would have been done already.

#12 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:42 PM

View Postaniviron, on 08 August 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

I wish I had as much faith as you. New content is king in MWO, there's no money in fixing old things. If they were going to fix dynamic geo to look good, it would have been done already.

Posted Image

#13 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostKHETTI, on 08 August 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

The Loup de Guerre approves of this thread.

Posted Image
Even though i love its camo, its dynamic geometry on the default loadout is mind-boggling. Especially the right arm. That giant mess right there? Yeah that's a single MPL and an SRM4.

It's a real shame to see good looking mechs being ruined by the utterly moronic choices during the Dynamic Geometry Pass process. I'm sorry, whoever was responsible for it, but you really f*cked it up.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 09 August 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#14 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

I would like my trebbies to be shorty.....

#15 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 09 August 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

I would like my trebbies to be shorty.....

Blame those who didn't vote for it in the Rescaling polls!

I mean, it's been the poster child for Oversized medium mechs, since its release and it didn't even make it into the second phase of voting!

#16 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

Part of the problem with PGI's "Legomechin'" is that they aren't treating the space around the arms in various mechs like a possible balance issue... it's treated as "art" that doesn't make sense (weirder than Picasso).

Noone would intentionally design their mechs to be modular AND be vulnerable for doing that. A lot of these issues could be solved with intelligent placement.

It doesn't matter really... it's going to be half arsed and you're going to like it!

#17 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Yeah that Right Missile arm is tricky, but your idea is good for improving it.

The one Treb that I kept is that 7K!

#18 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Lets be honest, having missiles show in a dynamic manner is hard. There are so many variations to account for. There are 3 types of missiles platforms, and each of those have varying number of missiles per salvo.

Which is why i say they keep the catapult's launchers as they were in beta.

I'm curious to see what kind of creative mojo they can work with the stalker's dynamic geometry. But if that doesn't work out i think they should revert it back as it is.

Edited by Tennex, 09 August 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#19 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

Heh, Misery with an ac20 barrel will look silly after suing the gauss in it so long.

#20 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostFrosty Brand, on 09 August 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Heh, Misery with an ac20 barrel will look silly after suing the gauss in it so long.

Well, i'd like to believe that they won't f*ck the Stalkers up. Seeing as it's the last mech for the Dynamic Geometry Pass.

Of course, it's probably just wishful thinking.
We did see how the last few mechs came out of the butcher-shop. (Spoiler alert: pretty terrible)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 09 August 2015 - 12:06 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users