What’S The Best Is Heavy And What’S The Best Clan Heavy And Why?

93 replies to this topic

#41 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 August 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

Well.. that's because its a hero and they can't have the hero take the crown from the others because P2W..

Doesn't stop Huginn, GI and some others, now does it?

But i'm sick of arguing with people. I'm off to eat ice cream or something.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 10 August 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#42 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 10 August 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Cant the Cauldron Born carry the gauss/erm setup with even more heatsinks and is nearly as fast?

Same speed, same heatsinks less total weight to work with far less armor and a CT that is easy to hit from any angle (means you can't arms shield very easily at all.

Most of the heavies in the game built well for their chassis can bring it. However, the TBR and the Tbolt/Cataphract all bring it better than most of the others.

#43 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 August 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:

Just a reminder with the DPS AC builds you guys are throwing out. You have to stare to take advantage of all that firepower, in serious situations that will end up being a death sentence, and if you aren't staring you won't be doing damage. In CW and public drops yeah you can for sure get away with that, drops like the comp drop quoted above... not so much. No Dakka-Dires were there either I might add, not that I can remember anyway.

That's why my Dragon has flamers :P
Fire + one ac round every .25 seconds = total blindness. It's nearly impossible to win a 1 on 1 fight against this beast!

#44 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostLugh, on 10 August 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

Same speed, same heatsinks less total weight to work with far less armor and a CT that is easy to hit from any angle (means you can't arms shield very easily at all.

Most of the heavies in the game built well for their chassis can bring it. However, the TBR and the Tbolt/Cataphract all bring it better than most of the others.

Phract is clunky with gauss and lasers. I sort of like it because it hops.. but its nowhere near TBR/EBJ/HBR territory.

#45 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 10 August 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Cant the Cauldron Born carry the gauss/erm setup with even more heatsinks and is nearly as fast?

Yes and no. It runs a bit hotter and can't have JJs. Also, the armor plays also an important role. The CB just can't tank as much as a Timberwolf. So in a 1 to 1 comparison the CB loses. Off course I am intentionally ignoring the weight difference. My usual dropdeck in CW consists of Cauldron Borns if my unit is not doing their gargoyle drops.

#46 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 August 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

Best Heavy for competitive teams? Timberwolf and Hellbringer. Tourney finalists agree.

See any Thunderbolts here?

Posted Image

We'll also see some EBJs once they are allowed for use in most tournaments (most mechs aren't allowed until they are available for cbills or sometime after that - with an (odd) exception for hero mechs (or champs).

@Thread:

Best Clan Heavy = Timber Wolf, HBR and EBJ are not far behind though and have a few niche builds that are better than the TBR versions in some way.

Best IS Heavy = Probably the 5SS.

Best Heavy = TBR, and both the EBJ & HBR are better overall than the 5SS.

So to recap:

TBR > HBR/EBJ > TDR-5SS

#47 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 10 August 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

Doesn't stop Huginn, GI and some others, now does it?

But i'm sick of arguing with people. I'm off to eat ice cream or something.

Don't think we need to argue, I think we both want the same thing, but yes you are right, I hadn't thought of those two counter examples.

#48 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

Best IS heavy? Hard to say with these choices.

Thunderbolt is the meta-boy flavor until the quirks are reworked. I can't drive the 7 mpls for some reason, but 3 lpl's and jump jets... that's more my style. Not my best heavy.

Jagermech for the ac40, dual gauss crowd (barf, get some creativity folks). I run the 3 UAC 5 DD once in a while, but I find Jagers fragile shoulders annoy me.

Grasshopper with 4 high mounted LPL's, jump jets and a billion heat sinks is one of my best. Screw the haters, use your shorter teammates as cover and shoot over their heads. Everyone complains about height, but I spread damage on this guy better than every other IS heavy I own, and it ridge humps/pop tarts like a boss.

Cataphract 4x is the original quad AC5 machine, and is still a beast. A slow moving beast that will get passed by a king crab with the same loadout, but still a beast. It is currently outclassed by the Dragon 1N at the moment.

Ilya can also be a monster in the right hands. Lots of good loadouts

Dragon 1N, big XL engine, dual AC5 with lots of ammo, flamer. TROOOOOOOGGGGGGDDDDDDOOOORRRRRR!!! I will be sad when the bell tolls for thee.

Best Clan heavy?
Timber Wolf Prime (G), followed up by Timber Wolf Prime (I).

#49 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 August 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

Question for today

What’s the Best IS heavy and what’s the best clan heavy and why?

I vote the TW still for Clan but IS I am not sure

Illya

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 August 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

Best Heavy for competitive teams? Timberwolf and Hellbringer. Tourney finalists agree.

See any Thunderbolts here?

Posted Image

who cares about comp lol

Play this mech and this build or go home.

Id rather PUG lol

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 10 August 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#50 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 August 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

Well.. that's because its a hero and they can't have the hero take the crown from the others because P2W..

Oxide is still the best IS light in my book. Yeah fine it doesn't have stupidly strong quirks or clan tech cheese or good hit boxes... But... it's just such a brutal hit and run mech. It requires almost no face time. It hits for 35 damage with very little heat build up.It will melt most other lights in 3 or so volleys when hit reg is working and can core out assaults before they can turn around.

Is it herp a derp easy to use like the 6cSPL cheeto? No. Does it have JJ or the raw DPS of the Hugin? No. Does it carry as many SRMs or Ammo as a missile boat Adder no. Does it have fantastic hit boxes like the Firestarter? No.

But... as a package? The Oxide does the job of SRM assassin better than any other mech in my opinion.

#51 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 10 August 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

Illya

Illya Died man. XL's get popped to easily now. Rest her soul.

Edited by xXBagheeraXx, 10 August 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#52 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Jagger JM6-DD running 3 UAC/5s + 200 rounds
15% uac/5 range
30% better uac/5 jam chance
15% uac/5 cool down

Just saying, a lot of people don't run this, but jesus it's ridiculous.

#53 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

View PostAscaloth, on 10 August 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

That's why my Dragon has flamers :P
Fire + one ac round every .25 seconds = total blindness. It's nearly impossible to win a 1 on 1 fight against this beast!

I've won many staring contests in the 1N against KCG's and Direwolfs because of that flamer.

AWWW, your dual AC20's/Quad UAC10's made you really hot? Have some FLAMER.

#54 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

Joke of the day:
Best IS Heavy is the Quickdraw!!!

:lol:

Wasn't funny?

#55 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 10 August 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

Grasshopper with 4 high mounted LPL's, jump jets and a billion heat sinks is one of my best. Screw the haters, use your shorter teammates as cover and shoot over their heads. Everyone complains about height, but I spread damage on this guy better than every other IS heavy I own, and it ridge humps/pop tarts like a boss.

Just wanted to chime in here to say that grasshopper's model "problems" are really overstated.
It's tall. Yes. But it definitely has less surface area than a lot of other IS heavies, like the Thunderbolts, Catapults, Cataphracts even the 60 ton Quickdraws.
It also has high mounted hardpoints (even its arms are pretty high-mounted in comparison to some gorilla armed knuckle-draggers around)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 10 August 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#56 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostRhent, on 10 August 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

Jagger JM6-DD running 3 UAC/5s + 200 rounds
15% uac/5 range
30% better uac/5 jam chance
15% uac/5 cool down

Just saying, a lot of people don't run this, but jesus it's ridiculous.

Sure but if a Dire sees you DPSing someone he can just about one shot your ST.

#57 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 August 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

Question for today

What’s the Best IS heavy and what’s the best clan heavy and why?

I vote the TW still for Clan but IS I am not sure

Before quirks I'd have said Jagers. After the quirks, I'd still say Jagers, but based on how often I see them, I'd say everyone else is thinking T-bolts. Maybe they're right.

Sure, the Metawolf can do laservomit like nobodies' business, but Jagers have shoulder high gun arms and are nasty customers for delivering PPFLD at all sorts of ranges. They're like walking multi-barreled flak guns, how's that not bad ass?

#58 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 10 August 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

who cares about comp lol

Play this mech and this build or go home.

Id rather PUG lol

There's a bit of a trickle-down effect... The power gaps in Puglandia aren't as drastic as they are on Mount Tryhard™ due to the disorganized/chaotic nature, but there are still robbits that outperform others no matter where you go.

#59 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 10 August 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

Joke of the day:
Best IS Heavy is the Quickdraw!!!

:lol:

Wasn't funny?

Ironically in the comp match quoted in this thread, the only IS heavy was a quad ER LL QuickDraw.

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 10 August 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

Just wanted to chime in here to say that grasshopper's model "problems" are really overstated.
It's tall. Yes. But it definitely has less surface area than a lot of other IS heavies, like the Thunderbolts, Catapults, Cataphracts even the 60 ton Quickdraws.
It also has high mounted hardpoints (even its arms are pretty mounted in comparison to some gorilla armed knuckle-draggers around)

The real issue is in the lack of worthwhile quirks.

#60 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 10 August 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

It also has high mounted hardpoints (even its arms are pretty mounted in comparison to some gorilla armed knuckle-draggers around)

I like my Grasshoppers, but tend not to run them too much. Right now I like my Jester for laser vomit so much, I tent to be ignoring the 'Hoppers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users