Wtf Do You Do With Cataphracts?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

I know some people have loved these, but I skipped them until now (and then only got it to bring the 0XP to CW). However, after nearly 100 games in them (over all three types) I still can't get good results. Heck I am looking at one long slog to even finish mastering them right now.

Right now The 4X gives me the best damage, but a useful team (not the #%&$ the MM gives me 9 times out of 10) is critical to getting good results. Outside of a good team I'm just incredibly slow canon fodder. This is with the most optimal 4xAC5 build... At least it can at least do as much average damage as my HBRs or Stalkers, though I hardly ever get the killing blow (just tons of most damage done).

The 0XP comes next best... Vaugely. I'm using a brawling 4xMPL+AC20 build mostly because I have just never done well with gauss since they changed the mechanic ages ago... I can almost get an even 1:1 kills to deaths in it and damage per match roughly on par with my TBRs. Though it falls apart so easily under fire that I usually lose weapons very quickly.

Lastly I bought a 3D... Because every has always liked the 3D... But I think it's $&%@ and needs tossed in a trash can. I've tried multiple builds, but all of them seem to fail... It's limited quirks are UAC jam rate, minor ballistic velocity, and minor laser duration... So I've tried all sorts of things... 2xUAC5s+4MLs, 4xMPL+Ballistics, 2LPLs+a UAC5... I don't want to put an XL in this, because it already falls apart so easily adding a XL to the mix is like asking to die in an instant... That keeps me from using AC20s or Gauss. This mech is single handedly responsible for setting my K:D ratio back.

I mastered TBRs, HBRs, Ebon Jaguars, Tbolts, Catapults, and Jagers. So it's not like I'm unused to heavies and how they play (In fact I can switch to most of those and get better games)... But so far the Cataphract feels like a mech that needs sent to the wreck yard and buried there... How the heck do you guys manage to play them?

#2 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

I run this:

Warning: Is insane

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...77c1ab3a2cc24d0

Relatively cheap, durable as all hell, and takes good advantage of those lower arm actuators.

Still insane, but OP as ****.

#3 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

To this day CTF-3D is still one of my favorite mechs I've ever run.

You can do any number of things with them, and they all rock. Favorite build was 2x AC/5 + 2x LPL, or ERLL.

Once you get comfortable in them, they can be amazing. They have great durability with XL, i think I ran 280-300 depending on build, 1 JJ for agility.

If you're having issues, I have to assume it's just you. Not saying you're bad, just that you may not be used to how to use them properly. I have the same issues with clan heavies, I never seem to get the same results with them as I used to with the 3D or a Thud, but I know it's because I'm not used to them yet, and they play very differently.

Give it some time, and see if you get better, if not, might just not be the mech for you, but it's definitely a great mech, at least the 3D. Rest I'm not a huge fan of.

#4 DaveRatters

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

Regarding the 4X with 4xAC5s - I've found that even my King Crab with 4xAC5s doesn't kill so much, but it does maim and the damage it dishes out is large. I think this is because it deals it out over time to multiple areas of the target mechs - most sensible pilots roll the damage and get out of the barrage - whereas the dual AC20 Crab generally kills things outright as the pinpoint damage is more likely to be fatal.

Generally I couldn't get on with the Cataphracts at first - even sold my Ilya Muromets - only to buy it again not so long ago!

The 4X is great fun - it does die a lot due to the barn door frontal area, the XL motor required and the tendancy to "face the enemy down while blazing away syndrome" but the resulting dakka barrage is worth the risk I think. If your target mech is spooked by the barrage, then all usually goes well, as long as he has no friends able to fire on you at the same time.

The OXP is fun too - I have lasers and an AC5 on mine.

I've just bought a CTF-3D and I'm about to try it out on the field - 2xUAC5s and 2 large lasers plus an XL300 - we'll see how it goes...

I think it's worth persevering at any rate - hope you get to enjoy piloting yours as much as I've enjoyed piloting mine.

Edited by DaveRatters, 27 July 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#5 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

I had great success with this AC20, 2xLarge Laser, 300std

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...003d4eedbdeb53a

You can swap out the Large Lasers for ER Large Lasers. Strip down the arms for extra Heat Sinks and play with it a bit more for the 3D with Jump Jets. I wasn't a fan of the Medium Laser/AC20 build because you have to get up too close. Its very durable and the 1X and 2X have good laser/ballistic quirks. The 300 standard is a bit faster then the usual 280 build and more durable then the XL build.

#6 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

In working towards leveling house mechs I had no problem leveling the Catapults, Ravens don't excite me but they are easy to play, the Cataphracts are just plain awkward for me. I won the CTF-3D(C) for whatever event, and I grabbed the Ilya Muromets during the sale - I have no idea which the 3rd will be.

The Ilya with 3 AC5's it a lot of fun, and my best shot with the CTF-3D(C) was also with AC5's - generally I end up face hugging Dire Whales till I die, so I know my technique needs work. I think I get stuck trying to be a medium mech in a giant winter coat. I don't get how to balance big guns with mobility - gorilla arms also confound me.

I'm thinking some combo of medium lasers and large AC's seem to be the most reliable.

#7 Discojaddi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

General 'phract advice is simple- use primarily high-dps weapons that require you to hold targets. Since your weapons are so low slung and you are quirked for extra structure to absorb hits, abuse it! You gotta use that tankiness that you got, 'cause the 'phract cant hide or pop for crap (unless you use the JJ 3D) The 'phracts playstyle is actually really similar to the average assault mech- you kinda hafta go all in and hope the team follows behind you, because if you are left ignored or have backup, you can lay down unholy, constant, withering dps.

To that end, several builds that I am currently rocking are-

0XP-
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a43441e80eae6d
4ll's and an AC10 make a great Mid/Long range mech, enables you to stay back, provide ecm and fire support, and help avoid the issue of your gigantic torso by staying in a crowd of allies. It does run a little hot, and still has the gorilla-arm issues, so make sure not to shoot your allies in the back

Muromets
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...22893ce6c1ff90c
With 2 ac5, 1 ac10, and 2 ml, it's damn near stock! The muromets stock build just needs end-steel and DHS, cut that silly small laser, and it's actually a really fun, high dps build. I like to chain-fire the 5's to give the illusion of a higher rate of fire than it actually has, causes more panic.

4X
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...765df2a08e9f1ad
Say it with me now- DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! AC2's support the UAC5's really well, because you don't have to tone down the rain of fire just because of silly issues like "jamming" Similar to the 0XP, don't be wandering out infront of the pack though. It runs a bit hot, and you can finagle with ammo and those lasers to taste, I just like to make sure I have something (no matter how pathetic) to fight back with should I happen to run out of ammo/get disarmed.

Edited by Dragonfodder, 28 July 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#8 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

CTF-1X

You can do this....

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Please shave some more leg armor off not enough of these are doing what was being done before and keeping the ammo in the legs.

some of the builds above are good, but the AC20 with a few ML's works good with the largest standard engine you can fit in it and enough leg armor

#10 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

what do i do with my 1x? i wreck clanners!

#11 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 28 July 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

CTF-1X

You can do this....

...that's just rude

#12 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:39 AM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 28 July 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

CTF-1X

You can do this....

One shot one kill, only down side is it will be yourself ^_^

#13 Naoru

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:22 PM

Sell them?

#14 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

I've gotten good results from the 1X with AC20 and 2xLPL. You could easily drop the AC down to a 10 for the 3D and add a pair of jets. I think I rekitted my 3D into twin LB10X and 4xML a while back, but only took it out once or twice, got ok to marginal results.

#15 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

I'm with you on that one Shadey.
Tried to work with the Cataphract. Thought it might be a substitute (a poor one) for the Marauder looking at the hard points.
But after a dozen games or so decided I couldn't stand it.
Sold it.
Some months later I thought I'd have another go and try to at least get a second variant and work towards getting the to the elite levels.
But after a dozen games or so decided that I really didn't like the mech.
Sold them both.

Sometimes a chassis just doesn't feel right to pilot.
It's an interesting thing in MWO I've found. Each mech has a unique feel. Add the loadouts and modules to that and you can get a very different experience from them.
Good advice in the above posts though.

#16 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

View Post50 50, on 30 July 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Sometimes a chassis just doesn't feel right to pilot.
It's an interesting thing in MWO I've found. Each mech has a unique feel. Add the loadouts and modules to that and you can get a very different experience from them.

This is true, however, it doesn't entirely cover it. There engine also has an impact, there's a massive difference between a Banshee with a stock 285 and one with an 400 XL. There's also the efficiencies. The Victor is completely different out of the box vs having 2x basics.

The Phract has both of these. Well, the 4X can't have a massive engine with the low cap it has, but it makes up for it as being able to mount alot of ballistics. I kinda like to run my other Phracts with an XL325. Add in the 2x basics and a bit of better speed, twist & turn it makes a difference. Granted, you can't mount an XL with an AC/20, but for the mechs you have that currently are using it, the 2x basics do help.

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

I believe I can fly
My Cataphract can touch the sky
Poptarting every night and day
Centre torsos blown away

I believe I can soar....... Er Hmmm

CTF-3D(C)

Recommend modules: Shock absorber, gauss cool down, adv zoom
Other: Use arm lock.

I use the 3D cat as a poptarter, its decent in that role.

Use the gauss range and keeping your distance will minimise the "Size of a Barn" effect.
Peak and poke corners with your right hand side or poptart to minimize mech exposure.

Left side is your shield

The XL gives enough speed to reposition, and if you do lose the right side torso you lost your weapons anyway.
Keeping your distance, ultilising the gauss range will reduce the danger of using the XL.

Despite no backup weapons, you have the potential to send 900 points of damage down range.
Which is usually enough for the solo pug queue.

It jumps pretty high for a 70T mech, leave some fuel for landing.

gl

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 01 August 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#18 Cptn Goodvibes Pig of Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 125 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

This is what I use for my three Cataphracts. Basically max armour except for legs, decent cooling, good ammo supply and generally built around their quirks.

4x - Brawler. Std 255 engine, 2 x LBX-10, 2 x MLaser, SRM4, AMS - 64.9 kph

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4c8416f6708b5f

3d - Fire support. XL 320 engine, 2 x Ultra AC5, 4 x MLaser, AMS, full jump jets - 81.5 kph

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6f64c3b81d1b526

IM - Fire support. XL 285 engine, 3 x AC5, 3 x MLaser, AMS - 72.6 kph

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...29c3f2e5f6fc5a5

Hope this helps.

#19 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

Hey, can I hijack this thread for a second? Ok, good. I have the OXP, I run it with an ac20 4 ml and a really big standard engine (340 maybe?). I do almost not bad in it, but I really need recommendations for two more 'phracts. Preferably more mobile, "faster" ones. Thanks :D

#20 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 05 August 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

Hey, can I hijack this thread for a second? Ok, good. I have the OXP, I run it with an ac20 4 ml and a really big standard engine (340 maybe?). I do almost not bad in it, but I really need recommendations for two more 'phracts. Preferably more mobile, "faster" ones. Thanks :D

3D,its very versatile,you can do the ac20 + mls,poptarting builds and jumping jägermech builds in it. Gauss + 2 PPC + STD270 is good and takes lot of punishment to take down,its a bit slow so stick with the assaults and poptart away,place all the weapons in the torso.

CTF-3D(C)

take this fun mobile poptart as a basis and build around it to your preference,mind you that XL:s in CTF:s are really risky,but sometimes worth the risk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users