#61 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 17 August 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

New players are automatically seeded into the mid-to-high range of Tier 4.
- Oh, this is rich. Throw them in with the wolves on day one. You really should reconsider this.

Huh? Wolves? T1 is best, T5 is worst. New players come in mid to high T4

View PostAlexander Garden, on 17 August 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Just one.
How will it work in the group queue?

#62 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 17 August 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

How will it work in the group queue?

Matchmaker will use the average PSR of the pilots in a group.

#63 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 17 August 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

because
a ) i don't trust their ability to make a proper score system
b ) any such system will anyway be flawed
c ) there is no reason for introducing personal performance in the mm rating as all, it's a damn team game (really prepare to a lot of kill steal rage etc)

All true.

Mind you, I don't understand why people care what their ranking is - why people felt they where being punished by having their Elo decrease, or rewarded by an increase for example, or why someone would deliberately try to inflate their score in this system.

I mean, I'm not stupid - people WILL do it, because they are pathetic and desperately need validation, and more importantly people will try to game it the other way: get as low a score you can but keep winning, and aim to lower your tier level to get easier opponents to continue winning with a low ranking.... Because lots of low score wins pays better than 50/50 WLR against equally skilled opponents (where you won't get great scores anyways)

#64 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

How are the Tiers seperated?

Top 20% Tier 1, next 20% tier 2, etc?

Or are there hard caps that you have to pass to make the next Tier? Assuming the Tier 1 floor is set kinda high, and the Tier 5 kinda low, that would lead to a bell curve with the vast majority of players in Tier 3.

#65 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

@Wintersdark ... you're right ... I read it wrong. I'll strike through the comment in my post and give you credit for correcting me.

#66 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 17 August 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

will there be any kind of tier restrictions between groups? Say I have a small group of us bads, and we're all T4 and T5, are we going to be teamed up with/against T1 players?

#67 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

View PostDeathlike, on 17 August 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

You have to understand how the Match Score is generated.

As a farmer, it's not hard to gain the points (if you know what the tricks are). The problem is that it affects a vast portion of people that would be considered "unskilled" due to how this relates to damage.

You do realize that the elements of the match score will be weighted by an internal, secret algorithm, right? It says so right in the patch notes - so all this speculation about damage farming is simply groundless doomsaying.

#68 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

I am completely against tier info being made publicly viewable under any circumstances. But i would completely approve of it being privately viewable to the individual. It is nice to know stuff like, hey i've improved lately and moved up from tier 4 to tier 3 yay! But please make every effort to avoid the "you're tier X stfu noob" crowd to this game. It's why i don't play league of legends at all anymore. I'm a good player there just don't do ranked at all and constantly get tryhard ragers beratting me and my friends for not have the holy freakin super ultra gold/platinum/diamond border to "be on their level".

#69 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 17 August 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

@Wintersdark ... you're right ... I read it wrong. I'll strike through the comment in my post and give you credit for correcting me.
its an easy mistake - I did a double take too, when I read it. The "mid to high end" part raises all kinds of alarm bells :)

#70 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

So, when will we be able to change the camo pattern on our Wave One Invasion (I) mechs ????????????

And I'll keep asking ....

Replacing Elo looks to be interesting.

#71 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostSable, on 17 August 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

I am completely against tier info being made publicly viewable under any circumstances. But i would completely approve of it being privately viewable to the individual. It is nice to know stuff like, hey i've improved lately and moved up from tier 4 to tier 3 yay! But please make every effort to avoid the "you're tier X stfu noob" crowd to this game. It's why i don't play league of legends at all anymore. I'm a good player there just don't do ranked at all and constantly get tryhard ragers beratting me and my friends for not have the holy freakin super ultra gold/platinum/diamond border to "be on their level".

That is exceptionally annoying. Those stupid snerts will look you up on some fracking website while they're waiting for the game to load, then make asinine comments about "you haven't played in X months, and your last was Wukong. We're screwed," or mock my ranked tier - when I don't play ranked any more.

PS: However, if you use "tryhard" as a slur, my first reaction is automatically contempt. Bringing your A game to the team is simply good manners - people shouldn't rage at you, but you shouldn't mock them for investing effort in the game and expecting the same courtesy from you.

Edited by Void Angel, 17 August 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#72 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostJman5, on 17 August 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Hey Alex, is your matchmaking rank still split between light, medium, heavy, and assault, or will we have just 1 score?

Just one.

All in one eh? Suddenly, I may not be liking this. I tend to perform better when in a Heavy or Assault mech, but worse when in a Medium and terribad when in a light. I feel like this may just hurt me when I play in the heavier mechs (or at least keep matching me with players at a lower tier than I should be at). Guess I'll just have to 'git gud' with a light, then I can play anything >.> Or just not play lights or mediums. Guess that works too.

Edited by Sevronis, 17 August 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#73 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

So, if me and my two friends are Tier 1(3), and we go up against 12 Tier3's, our team would get Tier 5's to lower our "average" this system is still punishing the good players by forcing us to carry harder!

So basically ELO will get more accurate but stomps and carry harder games (ELO Hell) still exsists.

#74 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

I'm guessing its a player base thing. They might be able to split it up if the game grows.

Elo is not an acronym.

And if you're actually better than your teammates, you should normally perform better than they do - thus the system won't punish you even for a loss.

#75 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 17 August 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

As a replacement for the original Elo-based rating and matching system, the new Pilot Skill Rating system releasing in this patch will provide more accurate and diverse skill ratings to better reflect your individual level of performance match-to-match. Whereas your original Elo scores were determined solely by your win/loss rate in a given weight class, the new PSR system is primarily influenced by your Match Score. In other words, any player action in the game that triggers a C-Bill or XP reward now applies to this new scoring system.
YES!!!!!!

The introduction of a five-tier ranking system based on PSR values will further help to improve the matchmaking process, ensuring that pilots are more likely to fight against opponents of equal or similar skill levels. A comprehensive write-up on this new Pilot Skill Rating system can be found further into these patch notes.
Thank you, PGI.

- The MechWarrior Team
I am in tears... I will be loading MWO back up this coming weekend to play. Thank you for listening and working something out with this. I will read the notes, below, and provide additional feedback.

Featuring 5300 breakable trees
I read this to my son, and his response was "Holy CRAP!!!"

Pilot Skill Rating - The Elo Replacement
This new PSR system will effectively remove the current Elo system from the game and the matchmaker.
YES!!!

In this way and others, the Elo system caused all sorts of issues with the matchmaker in both solo and group queues, and would never accurately reflect how a player may perform on a personal basis.
Sigh of relief.

We have also added more action triggers to the tracking system to take into account other types of gameplay aside from just kills and damage done. Actions such as flanking an enemy, using a UAV to spot targets, or using TAG/NARC/BAP to mark targets, are now all part of this formula.
It's not a real word, but SQUEE!!!!

How does this new system work in terms or raising or lowering skill ratings?
There are 5 Skill Tiers in which a pilot can be ranked: Tier 1 being comprised of the best-rated players in the game, and Tier 5 being comprised of pilots who are in dire need of additional training. That being said, we now have much more control over who plays against whom, without the presence of the ‘release valves’ that were in place under the original system.

The original Elo system for MWO employed these release valves to allow the matchmaker to relax restrictions in an effort to start games faster. This could result in top-tier players being matched with newer or lower-skilled players. With the release of PSR, that system is now gone.
You know the rebuilt CGI scenes at the end of Return of the Jedi, with the music and they were showing planets everywhere and everyone was partying... that's this community, I think, right now!!! hehe

The weighted formula and action triggers will not be released publicly. However, we are currently debating the merits of making all players’ respective Skill Tier levels publicly accessible. Part of this potential public Skill Tier listing is the possibility for opting-in or opting-out of listing your Skill Tier publicly. Tina will likely be putting up a poll to gather feedback about which option the community feels would be the best choice for handling public Skill Tiers.
Instead of doing that, just rank folks within their Tiers...
1) Grandmaster

2) Elite
3) Veteran
4) Regular
5) Green

These ranks are already available in BattleTech, why not make them official, here?

Okay, now what about VoIP? I understand you're working with the TeamSpeak folks about the overlay, but is that what's been causing problems with not being able to use it at all?

#76 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You know. I thought the last 2 patch notes were amazing, but this is beyond fantastic. You guys are doing a good job.

I hope the PSR system will be weight class based (Ideally I hope it's per specific variant, or at least, per chassis)

#77 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 August 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

You do realize that the elements of the match score will be weighted by an internal, secret algorithm, right? It says so right in the patch notes - so all this speculation about damage farming is simply groundless doomsaying.

In his defense, while damage farming in particular is unfair doomsaying(given they specifically cover that in the next paragraph), the underlying problem is very real: It's quite likely something will be weighted very badly, causing weird exploitable results. I don't know if that'll actually be a problem or not, though, depends on which particular rewards are balanced badly and in which direction.

Edited by Wintersdark, 17 August 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#78 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 August 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

PS: However, if you use "tryhard" as a slur, my first reaction is automatically contempt. Bringing your A game to the team is simply good manners - people shouldn't rage at you, but you shouldn't mock them for investing effort in the game and expecting the same courtesy from you.

I guess tryhard means something different to you. To me it's the super competitive crowd that only uses meta builds and tries to perfectly time everything because .00002 seconds extra gives them that edge they think they need to win.

#79 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

Wouldn't that still cause some problems? It's not as different from the Elo system right now, except for the T1-T5 restriction (though honestly, that restriction could be all we need to make it work.

#80 Boyka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Just one.

Hi Alex, I think the PSR has to be different for every mech you drive rather then pilot based.. I mean if I doing very well with a mech I love to drive and reaching tier 1, then switching to another mech I'm not very good my team will suffer for my lack of ability with that mech.
Just a though.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users