- - - - -

I Feel Like A New Player - Haven't Played In A Year!

19 replies to this topic

#1 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

Okay, for someone like me, who you can assume has lost all ability to play this game and is just looking to drop in something remotely competitive, which of my old mechs should I dust off, and what loadout should I stick in there? What's competitive these days when it comes to older IS stuff? I wasn't playing when quirks were introduced, so I know nothing about them, and don't own any mechs released since before the first clan mechs (so no clan and none of whatever is shiny and new). I do have lots of old mechs and engines and whatnot lying around so assume I can slap something together. GO!

#2 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

Have a look here for new intel about mechs and weapons.

#3 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

Let's assume I don't want to do a lot of reading too.

#4 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

You're in the wrong game, then... good luck :)

#5 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

I'm sure someone can indulge me with a couple of loadout suggestions.

#6 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 18 August 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Let's assume I don't want to do a lot of reading too.

GMan129 started his own site: http://www.metamechs.com

Blogs, builds, guides in competitive mentality. Check it out to get started.

#7 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

And you are right, they can point you out for other threads where there are builds shared.

The down side is, you will have to read...

#8 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 18 August 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Okay, for someone like me, who you can assume has lost all ability to play this game and is just looking to drop in something remotely competitive

i suppose that you want to be carried by your group with the new elo change

#9 T R3

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

Which IS mechs do you own? Lets see if we can throw something together. :)

#10 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 18 August 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

i suppose that you want to be carried by your group with the new elo change

Hell yeah, carried sounds awesome! Tell me more! :)

View PostT R3venge, on 18 August 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Which IS mechs do you own? Lets see if we can throw something together. :)

Thanks in advance R3venge. I haven't started the client in a long time so I can't really remember. I have like 80 mechs. Let's say I have three of everything they released up to the Trebuchet, maybe missing a couple in that era (no Kintaros), all of which are mastered. I have 3 Jagers which would be I guess around the tail end. I have the reward King Crab too I guess but I've never piloted it. Can't log into the client right now to give you a more definitive list :) Can we see our mechs from the webpage anywhere these days?

Found it! Here's my list. These are mastered aside from the bottom 4 or 5:
JR7-D(F)
CPLT-C1(F)
HBK-4G(F)
AS7-D(F)
CDA-2A
CDA-2B
CDA-3M
AWS-8T
AWS-8R
AWS-9M
AWS-8Q
CPLT-K2
CPLT-C4
HBK-4P
HBK-4SP
CN9-A
CN9-AL
CN9-D
TBT-5J
TBT-7K
TBT-3C
JR7-F
JR7-K
CTF-1X
CTF-4X
CDA-X5
CTF-3D
JM6-A
DRG-FLAME
JM6-S
JM6-DD
DRG-1C
DRG-5N
HGN-733P
HGN-733C
HGN-733
BJ-1
SDR-5D
BJ-3
BJ-1X
SDR-5K
SDR-5V
JR7-D(S)
ON1-K
ON1-V
ON1-VA
LCT-1V(P)
LCT-3M
LCT-3S
SHD-2H(P)
SHD-2D2
SHD-5M
TDR-5S(P)
TDR-9SE
BLR-1G(P)
BLR-1D
BLR-1S
CN9-YLW
COM-TDK
COM-3A
COM-2D
KTO-GB
AS7-RS
GRF-1N(P)
GRF-1S
GRF-3M
WVR-6R(P)
WVR-6K
WVR-7K
JM6-FB
FS9-K
FS9-H
TDR-9S
AS7-D-DC
AS7-S
CN9-AH
KGC-000L

Edited by FerretGR, 18 August 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#11 T R3

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

Yes you can see Mechs under profile but it's not a great way to do it as they are organised by when you purchased them. Ok what style & weight class do you prefer? Lrm, Sniper, Brawler?

#12 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

View Postugrakarma, on 18 August 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

Terribly low on ammunition and very narrow minded builds.

#13 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Good resource! Looks like laser builds are working these days?

View PostT R3venge, on 18 August 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

Yes you can see Mechs under profile but it's not a great way to do it as they are organised by when you purchased them. Ok what style & weight class do you prefer? Lrm, Sniper, Brawler?

I do like to brawl. I was hoping I'd come back and find out that SRMs are king. I'll take a wub wub laserfest though :)

#14 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

From the looks of your list you should go with your Jager mechs, and your Thunderbolts.
If you are fine with Assaults you can try an Atlas DDC build.
For the mediums you should be fine with Wolverine 6R and 6K

Edited by The Basilisk, 18 August 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#15 T R3

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

Wow .. tough one ..a lot of great mechs there FerrettGR, but yes as Basilisk suggests Jagers, Thunderbolts, Wolverines and Atlas all work well. I recommend you try Li Song MechLab to fine tune what you have.
My personal favourites from your list. AWS-8R,CDA-2B,WVR-6K,JR7F,CN9-YLW,COM-2D.

See you on the battlefield. ;)

#16 ball0fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 178 posts
  • LocationQLD australia

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

yah founders 4G still works just fine with the near stock loadout ac20 and 3 mediums

i still use mine all the time

#17 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

I dusted off my hunchbacks when I returned from my long break. Still perform extremely well for one of the founders 4 mechs. Shadow hawks and wolverines are still very competitive as well. Brawling isn't something most people try to get a match to turn to though it happens more than not when things go bad, or when things go good and your team makes the final push. A good brawler with awareness and some aim skill can turn a push back on itself by stopping a hesitant pilot and making them log jam. Good luck and welcome back.

#18 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

Off the top of my head with a skim of your list:

Your Blackjack 1x, Griffin 3M, Atlas DDC, King Crab, Thunderbolt 9S, Hunchback 4p and 4g are all still considered very good IS mediums. The Griffin 3M is outshone by the 2N at the moment, but you can get a lot of good matches using a quad srm4 with art build and 2 med or mpl on them depending on engine preferences. Still very good short range mechs given the tight placement of the srm hardpoints.

The Blackjack 1x running 6 med lasers, an xl and 2 mpl or 1 LL are consistently vicious close range pokers as well as the Hunchies with enough speed. Also very good CW IS mechs if you do much of that or plan to (I have 2 just for that). Short laser burn times, high weapon points and speedy mobility makes them very nice.

3LPL Thunderbolt 9S's are still seeing use, 3 std or 4 xl LL Wolverine 7K (I believe that's the variant) are also very commonly used, personally I prefer the XL 300 4 LL version given the sheer speed you move and damage output; speedy mediums is really key these days given the Alphas will pop you in a medium regardless of being STD or not in a lot of cases.

the King Crabs have a lot of nasty builds (you can see quite a few on Metamechs that are considered competitive) though I personally reccomend the dual guass + ERLL or LPL (not a fan of PPCs) if you want to rip **** up in matches given the range benefits, though their are plenty of ac20 builds that may suit your brawler nature more as well as some asymetrical srm ac20 etc. builds you may be able to pull off with the 000B.

The DDC, I've consistently gotten (solo farming mind you during quite a few events) 1000+ damage matches just running dual lb10x (yeah yeah, crappy weapon, but I like it on this variant more than a lot of other ballistics, sue me) + 3 srm6+ art, heavily front loaded armor and not even worrying about the energy with a big std engine to push the speed to 60; by the time it's out of ammo it has generally racked up well past 500 damage regardless unless you got shafted by your team.

It won't always work (you're a giant bullseye and will likely get focused if on the front line initially and Atlases are usually flank bait nowadays by lights, Advanced Seismic Sensor is your friend!), but if you want to get some Atlas fun in, it works more often that it doesn't if you keep with a group with some range to help you get close. A lot pop in 2 med lasers for backup weapons, but I prefer those 2 tons into ammo myself as I don't expect to survive the long, long haul being a walking target.

A lot of this could change upcoming with talks of comprehensive rebalances, but we'll see. I wouldn't say that the DDC is necessarily all that competitive anymore at all these days given the King Crabs, Stalkers etc. dominating the IS assault scene, but hey, it can still be a vicious ******* with cooperative team mates (and I still love it) and any additional ecm is a boon.

#19 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostIqfish, on 18 August 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Terribly low on ammunition and very narrow minded builds.

You mean optimized for today's Meta? Otherwise known as good, solid builds for a new player. Also, the wonderful thing about MW:O, which I'm surprised someone like you doesn't know about, is you don't have to take builds at face value. Even the best players in this game don't all use 1 variation of the same exact build. And it's absolutely something a new/returning player like the OP should learn about.

#20 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostMoebius Pi, on 18 August 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Off the top of my head with a skim of your list:

Your Blackjack 1x, Griffin 3M, Atlas DDC, King Crab, Thunderbolt 9S, Hunchback 4p and 4g are all still considered very good IS mediums. The Griffin 3M is outshone by the 2N at the moment, but you can get a lot of good matches using a quad srm4 with art build and 2 med or mpl on them depending on engine preferences. Still very good short range mechs given the tight placement of the srm hardpoints.

The Blackjack 1x running 6 med lasers, an xl and 2 mpl or 1 LL are consistently vicious close range pokers as well as the Hunchies with enough speed. Also very good CW IS mechs if you do much of that or plan to (I have 2 just for that). Short laser burn times, high weapon points and speedy mobility makes them very nice.

A bit late guys but I did take your advice. Checked out the builds on metamechs.com and built the BJ-1X you're describing, Moebius. Fast with lasers has always kind of been my thing so I thought it'd be a good training wheels mech. First game out... 4 kills, 4 assists, 1080 damage! Me likey! :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users