113 replies to this topic

#61 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

How about a little dropship hanging cockpit item.

#62 Reitmeier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 955 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:41 AM

Still don't like the new style of the vlogs. Kinda boring and unserious for me.

#63 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

View PostSereglach, on 19 August 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I would have loved to get more lore based items. The annoying part is that the suggestion for the Kerensky hologram was using that as an example to ask for holographic cockpit items of ALL the faction leaders (everything from Archon Steiner and First Prince Davion to dear Coordinator Kurita and the zealot Blake or the ComStar Primus).

Agreed, except the big problem is that there WERE serious suggestions made. However, it seems like they didn't decide upon any to look at until the last 5 minutes or something. They should have ignored all the stupid stuff and only pulled the many good suggestions out there.

That's disappointing to hear. :(

Oh well. I guess it just means they won't sell as many cockpit items.

#64 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:42 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 20 August 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Survival Knife?
Gas Mask?
Locket/ Photo?

Dude, if I can have a 100% WWII-esque cockpit, I am buying that each time (MC cockpit item package?)

an ammo shell is already in game though?

I dont know about you, but Im pretty sure that BT weapons dont use ammo shells, because their ammunition is shellless.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 20 August 2015 - 03:43 AM.

#65 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:53 AM

With all the replies about Atlas and heads. I assume my question got through?!

Seems there's alot of interest for it for different heads and such.

Thanks Tina!

Edited by Sarlic, 20 August 2015 - 03:54 AM.

#66 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:06 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 20 August 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

I dont know about you, but Im pretty sure that BT weapons dont use ammo shells, because their ammunition is shellless.

That is incorrect. All BT ballistics minus the Gauss rifle for obvious reason uses shells/ casings.

Look at games like MW4 and other games and you see these 'yellow things coming out the back of the autocannon' also known as casings/ shells depends on what part of the world you are at. Not only that but even on the mwomercs wallpaper (ie the one you see behind on the forum) you see a jagermech letting it rip at an enemy mech with a buch of shells coming out the back.

however games are not 100% cannon and TT is better overall for source, so my best evidence is the fact that there is a CASE-less ammo type that has a jam chance if used but is 50% lighter.

so imagine it like this, you got an AC 5, you can double your ammo per ton with the 15% chance of jamming in MW: O. That is if it is ever added...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Caseless

Note: "Instead of a standard metal or plastic shell casing filled with propellant" meaning all normal autocannons and such use a plastic and/or metal shell casing with a propellant of some form.

Also it's a cockpit item, not a in game weapon ammunition and it is most likely a dud. We also see items from the 1960's in MW: O cockpit items but no one is chanting it's extinct.

#67 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

View PostThomasAH, on 20 August 2015 - 04:04 AM, said:

This is not sex, this is just sexual objectification.

Tina et al.: Please consider the impact on your reputation (or maybe even incoming **** storm) if you add things like women on rockets or pin-up girls as cockpit items (as you said in the vlog). The (increasing variety of) hula girls is already questionable, please do not continue this!

P.S.: I can't even write Sierra Hotel India Tango storm here, but such cockpit items are okay?

War is war. It happens a lot in real life in the 1920's to 1960's and it still occurs today. Hell- some of those works includes extremely offensive political 'art' or even more questionable things. (there is a certain B-24 bomber in the pacific war that some of you may know what I mean...)

I do not want anything that far in the spectrum. But I do want to see some form of pinups in this game and such- hell I wouldn't mind to see a pin up in a form of a sub-insignia. I mean we already got the equally famous shark mouth-and-eyes on some mechs like the Stalker, Catapult, Direwolf, etc in rather phranken, Hero, or buccaneer.

This is not me trying to put sex into everything in my life. This is just me looking at it objectively and comparing it to the reality.

However I wouldn't mind male counterparts for those who prefer the other sex/ gender. However in general I think pin ups are needed...

However I wouldn't mind it being at first just simple pictures with lipstick like they mentioned earlier. As I mentioned earlier. with the hanging bullet, a picture for 'mounted', and a gas mask. that'll make my dream cockpit combo.

View PostReitmeier, on 20 August 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

Still don't like the new style of the vlogs. Kinda boring and unserious for me.

I find them quite interesting and awesome for me.

I always do like to see what's the working, process, and the minds behind the work we have here in this beautiful game.

#68 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 20 August 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

That is incorrect. All BT ballistics minus the Gauss rifle for obvious reason uses shells/ casings.

Look at games like MW4 and other games and you see these 'yellow things coming out the back of the autocannon' also known as casings/ shells depends on what part of the world you are at. Not only that but even on the mwomercs wallpaper (ie the one you see behind on the forum) you see a jagermech letting it rip at an enemy mech with a buch of shells coming out the back.

however games are not 100% cannon and TT is better overall for source, so my best evidence is the fact that there is a CASE-less ammo type that has a jam chance if used but is 50% lighter.

so imagine it like this, you got an AC 5, you can double your ammo per ton with the 15% chance of jamming in MW: O. That is if it is ever added...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Caseless

Note: "Instead of a standard metal or plastic shell casing filled with propellant" meaning all normal autocannons and such use a plastic and/or metal shell casing with a propellant of some form.

Also it's a cockpit item, not a in game weapon ammunition and it is most likely a dud. We also see items from the 1960's in MW: O cockpit items but no one is chanting it's extinct.

In the books the TK assault rifels are discribed as shelless ammunition that shoots some kind of needles.

I dont know why you are even talking about AC's, back on your seat please.

Regarding sexuality discussion: I dont see the problem? Its not new that limited nuduitiy was and is around, even complete one. Only people thinking that it would make anyone to an object, do what they try to prevent: making women to objects. Its all in your heads, I dont need any [redacted] and withe knights around. if you dont like it don't buy it. The whole discussion is a huge joke.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 20 August 2015 - 03:45 PM.
Language

#69 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:25 AM

I am glad he answered my question :)

However, i seriously wonder why they chose the bonsai tree over the toilet paper. It is something every MechWarrior would bring in a long campaign...

#70 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 20 August 2015 - 01:06 AM, said:

[Redacted Post]
[/spoiler]
because people like cuties in their cockpits, and sex sells.

You mean like my nVidia Dawn? :P

Posted Image

Would love it if we got an nVidia Dusk option, one day, too.

Posted Image

Edited by GM Patience, 20 August 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#71 ThomasAH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:30 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 20 August 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

I dont need any [redacted] and withe knights around. if you dont like it don't buy it. The whole discussion is a huge joke.

Wow. [redacted]? That escalated quickly. Does Godwin's law already apply?

The "don't buy it" sounds valid at first, but due to the tournaments and challenges I now have half a dozen (or more?) hula items that I don't want and support is not willing to remove them. And after being destroyed the view switches to another mech with cockpit items that I did not buy.

Additionally people in the forums are constantly asking for a Hula Tina. She might see this as a compliment, but maybe not. Who knows. And don't expect everyone to say if they are offended by something, because too often that will just result in answers like yours.

Nightshade24: Your reaction was far better, thank you.

Edit: typo

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 20 August 2015 - 03:46 PM.
Language and in quote

#72 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostThomasAH, on 20 August 2015 - 04:04 AM, said:

This is not sex, this is just sexual objectification.

Tina et al.: Please consider the impact on your reputation (or maybe even incoming **** storm) if you add things like women on rockets or pin-up girls as cockpit items (as you said in the vlog). The (increasing variety of) hula girls is already questionable, please do not continue this!

P.S.: I can't even write Sierra Hotel India Tango storm here, but such cockpit items are okay?

Was unsure if I even wanted to respond to this because of how terribly polarising the subject tends to be, but frak it. Here goes. Disclaimer: I am an equalist when it comes to social situations - and I do mean equal, not "equal" like what many groups out there like to claim that unfairly bash one agenda over another.

There's a difference between sexual objectification of an object and sexual objectification of an individual, and if someone is unable to distinguish the two than they probably have issues that extend beyond the matter at hand - much like those who are unable to distinguish between fantasy and reality. Sexual objectification in general is something both sexes are equally guilty of, and shouldn't feel bad about doing. It is a perfectly natural part of our evolutionary programming. The only difference, and only problem in my eyes, is that, for some reason, society stigmatizes females objectifying people or objects to a far higher degree than it does towards males.

Looking at the player demographic for this game, generally being adults with disposable income, playing a game that literally revolves around violence? Where's the fear of introducing some objects that may or may not be sexually objectifiable? Especially as you're in a walking tank, which realistic parallels of warmachines in the past have plenty of evidence supporting crews putting sexually suggestive objects to look at within? If anything, it being an option can only add to the immersion factor.

Supply relatively tame pinups, sure. And do it for both sexes, male and female. There are female or homosexual male pilots out there who probably wouldn't mind something they consider eye candy.

As for TIna, she's an adult. She can decide for herself if she wants to be objectified or not. I may not agree with the idea of doing so, personally, but that's her call and her call alone. Nobody should be telling her not to nor suggesting she do so. Her choice entirely.

#73 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

You played to get them, you got them. Also support sure as hell will remove them for you.

Hula Tina? Really? Well is she agrees it’s her appearance not mine. That is the difference - don't try to protect people who can help themselves. Don't make people to helpless objects in your head and try to protect them - that might even suppress their opinion. Don't generalize.

I don't see what’s your problem with nudity, tbh. Seems like something personal and that is up to you. But keep that personal.

I also want to add that WW2 Pinups usually are nothing more or less than what you can see at the swimming pool. If that’s unheard of nudity to you, you might want to leave the internet. Still - as a compromise (if such things make it ever into MWO) i'd suggest a filter for such cockpit items. Even though some would expect the MWO community to be older than 16 years...

Btw, don't mistake feminazis with {Godwin's Law}. I don't think you realize what has become of the term "feminism" among these people. They misuse it, to elevate women’s rights above men’s and try to voice their verbal diarrhea by showing their boobies in public. Quite hypocrite isn’t it?

Laws arnt enforced, wages are uneven and further laws to support parents (regardless of sex) are lacking, at least here in germany. That seems not to be a local problem but what these people do is exaggerated and will lead to nothing but stupidness.

@Pariah Devalis: Wow, such great words and all are perfectly chosen. English is not my main language and I think I could have never put it in such great sentences. What you call an equalist used to be a feminist. Thanks feminazis you destroyed a term that a genration of women built up.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 20 August 2015 - 06:23 AM.

#74 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:30 AM

Pinup poster and rocket girl is what i want most...

...but i can't deny i LOVED Tina's idea about the cat playing with toilet paper! But there should be also a jetpack on it's back to fly away when the mech is destroyed, i don't want to think the poor kitty died (**** the pilot, save the kitty) :(

#75 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

I just want decals.

...and a Hatchetman.

...And a Marauder (I will go Mission: Impossible on Harmony Gold, if I have to)

...and a pony.

How about a Viking Warrior cockpit item? Viking warhorn? Bagpipes warhorn?

Edited by Dawnstealer, 20 August 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#76 ThomasAH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 20 August 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

playing a game that literally revolves around violence? Where's the fear of introducing some objects that may or may not be sexually objectifiable? Especially as you're in a walking tank, which realistic parallels of warmachines in the past have plenty of evidence supporting crews putting sexually suggestive objects to look at within? If anything, it being an option can only add to the immersion factor.

I wouldn't like everything that adds to the immersion. I like the strategy/tactics part, but I'm really glad that there are no (simulated) dead/wounded people on the battlefield or (simulated) **** (another word I'm not allowed to write here, I'll try "violation" instead) as happens too often (i.e. more often than "usual", which is already bad enough) in wars.

This is a game about armed conflict in stompy robots. If I wanted to play a game about WW2 I would play a game about WW2.

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 20 August 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

You played to get them, you got them.

No, I played to play or played to get the other prizes in the tournaments. Or do you really want to tell me to not play for a week so I don't get things I don't want?

Also support sure as hell will remove them for you.

No, this is the reply I received:

We can neither exchange nor remove items from your account on our end. If an item cannot be sold, then it cannot be gotten rid of. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Still - as a compromise (if such things make it ever into MWO) i'd suggest a filter for such cockpit items.

That would be good enough for me. Not perfect, but good enough.

Please keep your comments like this and stop telling me that I have issues and should go away (I intentionally did not quote or directly answer them to not add more fuel to the fire), then we can actually have a good discussion here.

#77 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

No I don't want you not to play. But for that support response: Are you serious?! Oo I expected them to be more cooperative - did you explain them the circumstances?

Stay, but dont be mad about a little skin :). Btw, considering I also like warhammer 40k, I have no problem with "gore" but! only to a certain extent. Same goes for nudity. Too much gore is just disgusting, the other one would distract me from playing.

Regarding WW2 vs BT: Jordan Weismann used historical facts, conecpts and ideas as the roman empire and WW2 to create this franchise / universe. It is not unrelated as you put it. And I want to leave this picture here, note above the left hand:

Posted Image

This was the very first battletech book. A pinup picture is on its cover. (Note: German cover)

Not to forget that mech pilots tend to wear as little clothes as possible and there are male and female pilots. So its even part of the lore. What people ask here is way less than that.

Customizing your pilot for MC would also be a thing to earn some cash for PGI.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 20 August 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#78 Diffusion9

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPE, Canada

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:16 AM

I think this VLOG really highlighted the cosmetics shortcomings, and the need to maybe take a more serious look at adding more cosmetic options across the board. Dennis said there wasn't a dedicated cosmetic artist; assuming the resources are there maybe there should be.

For me there's nothing really to spend MC on. I had 4000-something MC banked for awhile until I finally just blew a little bit on a colour sale for some colours I didn't particularly like anyways. Now I have about 2400 MC going nowhere. Not many of the current cockpit items or warhorns appeal to me (I already have the ones I like), and even when on sale the Heavy\Assault mechs (the two classes I want to get more mechs for) are outside of my price range, so I'm sort of stuck in this weird dead area with not enough MC or will to blow the bank on a 'mech, but nothing in the sub-1000 MC range to buy for cosmetic items. So the MC just sits in my bank and I never buy more MC.

Looking at it from the monetary perspective; If they already have a list of 100 cosmetic items compiled from some time ago then I think getting some dedicated cosmetic artist time in to crank out a bunch of items on that big list would be a good idea.

I'm also really surprised Dennis saw the reception to custom geometry (different heads, shields) as not being very strong --- no way. Give custom geometry ASAP please!

Edited by Diffusion9, 20 August 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#79 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

Well people didn't reall notice the different geometry as applyable on already existing mechs, therefore noone said something (even though I think there was a thread about it?).

Personally I only use warhorns, everything else would limit my vision too much. I would love to have some cosmetic items outside of my regular FOV, such as an auto pistol or a TK assault rifle mounted to the wall (maybe with fitting ammunition).Something I can look at out of combat.

As said before even pilot customization could be a thing. That ugly blurry accumulation of textures is something I had to look on long enough... Something not too catchy for IS pilots and other cooling suites for clans would be great. Different things for the factions - fluff! we demand fluff!

#80 ThomasAH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 20 August 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

No I don't want you not to play. But for that support response: Are you serious?! Oo I expected them to be more cooperative - did you explain them the circumstances?

I did, but that was way back in IGP times, maybe it is better now. But the steady stream of new hula girls in my inventory indicated, that I would have to convince support more often than I would like to anyway, so I stopped asking.

Stay, but dont be mad about a little skin :).

Thank you! To make it clear: My problem is not skin or nudity, rather the yet another stereotype of the muscular/cunning male of the ethnic majority fighting it out while the "girls" have to stay at home and look nice, even if the reality is like this.

Regarding WW2 vs BT: Jordan Weismann used historical facts, conecpts and ideas as the roman empire and WW2 to create this franchise / universe. It is not unrelated as you put it. And I want to leave this picture here, note above the left hand:

This was the very first battletech book. A pinup picture is on its cover. (Note: German cover)

I don't know (and frankly don't care) if he would approve of the cover, I have long since given up on finding any resemblance in covers and the books they are on :).

Not to forget that mech pilots tend to wear as little clothes as possible and there are male and female pilots. So its even part of the lore.

It might surprise you, but I would have less problems with showing that (unless it is too exaggerated, but being historically accurate is not that easy in fiction) than with the rocket girl or pin-up cockpit items.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users