• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

should it be available on steam? yes

should steam be required to play it? nope

best of both worlds, get steam user base and those that want to use it can, while those who don't want steam can go without it

#22 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

Nah, no Steam please.

#23 The Kwisatz Haderach

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

I know many of my friends would try this game just because it is so easy to get/delete a game on Steam and would end up loving it.

ALSO MY SHIFT-TAB OVERLAY :D

#24 William Rahn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 154 posts
  • LocationHilbert space

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostElwood Blues, on 06 July 2012 - 05:48 AM, said:

I'm sure it adds a decent cost to the developer but it opens up the game to a huge audience. I like having access to my steam overlay and friends list in there as well. Great secondary layer to keep your merc unit together.

I would presume the cost of MWO being on Steam would come in the form of them getting a "cut" from purchases (and having the publisher obliged to run seasonal "free Jenner with two assault mechs" promotions). As long as these purchases come from players who would not hear about the game otherwise it could be a nice deal for the publisher. Personally I might not be a fan of Steam (slow, no DRM-free option on games sold without it on other sites like GOG/Gamersgate) but "the more the merrier" plus Steam users might be (more) willing to spend some money...

#25 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationCity of Bochum, Planet Menke

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

As i have got steam running it´s okay for me, but even if they won´t use it is okay too...

#26 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostBulletChief, on 06 July 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

hopefully none... steam sucks.

+1 :D

#27 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

No thank you, I'd be more then happy not to have to worry about Steam when playing this game.

#28 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

Steam works at least... not like EA´s Origin, which is STILL in official beta state to excuse its failures X_x

#29 Izac

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOK, USA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

View PostKyoshim, on 06 July 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

+1 :D

Agreed!!

#30 LordDread

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

I hope not, im not a fan of steam, dont hate it either, if it was both free standing and on steam however , that would be good

#31 Grajo

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

View PostValorcalls, on 06 July 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

I primarily use the program Steam for my video gaming and organizing my online friends. Will MWO be available through steam's F2P category? Or is it going to be separate from Steam? I found that STO (Star Trek Online) benefited greatly from going F2P on Steam in the population of the game increased.

Thoughts?

I hope it is released on steam so we can have the nice features steam provides (Chat, friends tracking, etc...) and also the steam games auto-updates, which is nice for this kind of MMO.

#32 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

I don't think it should require steam, but I would like it to be available on steam, if only for the advertising.

now I have a question...
can ANY of the people who have been posting the "I hate steam" comments say that they hate it because of experiences in the last... 3-5 years?

#33 NWHHarrier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'm seeing a trend among opponents of steamworks integration. If they have actual reasons they're keeping them pretty close to the vest...

The best solution is to offer support for it while not requiring it. That way those who, so far inexplicably, don't want it are not forced into it, while at the same time providing exposure and easy friends list support, not to mention sales incentives for newer places a la when tribes came to steam.

#34 Namikaze

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOver a sinkhole in Florida.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

The people saying that Steam sucks are clueless. Steam is damn good system for what they do. Having said that, F2P MMOs via Steam makes little sense. If you have the infrastructure to run an MMO, why add another layer of software? The only reason to go with Steam is to get more people to play. And I'm guessing that the buzz about MWO is pretty strong without Steam.

#35 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

I have to agree, what Steam has done for gaming PC is no small matter, and what it could do for this game would be phenomenal. I have a friend who hates Origin and Steam and the like, because they think they're nothing more than dishonest DRM. I really think such thoughts are ignorant and I really would hope if anyone here thinks like that, that they would see what they really do. Valve is a great company. From the way they work internally to how they treat customers. If there's ANY company that I believe to actually be out for the players, it's Valve. I never get the arguments against Valve. Even if Steam is restrictive in the slightest, the more freedoms elsewhere that they offer just makes that insignificant. There is no lie that Steam has the largest share of digital distribution on the market, so even if it was the horrible application that it is, there still would be the fact that it still would add so many new players to this game. I use steam for all my gaming needs, I buy most of my games on there, and if it's not there, I make sure to add it on the Non-Steam Games list anyway.

EDIT: Sorry I made it appear that Origin is a great program too... my bad, Origin and EA are horrible companies and it's the only reason I don't have BF3, no matter how much I wanted to play it at first. I was actually going for comparing how Steam is nowhere near Origin, as Valve is nothing like EA.

Edited by Adm Awesome, 06 July 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#36 Min0taur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Steam do it's job well enough... It's my favorite source of Indies and games on sale...

I don't know how they make deals with F2P companies... They surely want a cut or something... Why WoT or LoL are not there, for example?...

Still, good pool of potential customers to find there... And with the lot of 'me-too' First Person Shooters or First Person Sworders, they could use a different style of MMO like MWO...

I know at least 6 friends who will try MWO if it's on Steam, for they try everything F2P there...

Edit:
BTW... Steam is the only one that offer to play Offline, if your games are properly installed online first...

Edited by Min0taur, 06 July 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#37 maxil

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPain

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostFirefun, on 06 July 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

I like and use Steam, I see nothing evil in it.

yep, and adding MWO as a Non-Steam game is the least i can do to help promoting it there! :D

#38 C Phillips

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg PA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

This is the role Steam will play.
  • Launch Steam.
  • Click the Games menu, choose Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library.
  • Browse for games on your computer or put a check next to the game(s) you wish to add to the Library.
  • Click Add Selected Programs

#39 Thrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

Hm, I don't if MWO could benefit from Steam.
Valve always very controversial. Their projects always has poor technical part.. poor user interface, lack of performance polishing etc.. but has absolutely great ideas and marketing. Most of their projects just hit the mark. And they has the best gaming community ever, which sometimes brings major changes to games and makes them successful :D
And steam for now is the best digital market available.
But.. Good MMO should have their own community, only dying or "B class" games converts to steam. They find here new blood but loose their color and sometimes just lost in user's game library. Attention of these audience is very unstable.

#40 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

View PostAdm Awesome, on 06 July 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

EDIT: Sorry I made it appear that Origin is a great program too... my bad, Origin and EA are horrible companies and it's the only reason I don't have BF3, no matter how much I wanted to play it at first. I was actually going for comparing how Steam is nowhere near Origin, as Valve is nothing like EA.

I am in the same situation... I REALLY want bf3... but am completely unwilling to install an incredibly intrusive piece of software like origin on my computer, not to mention their not releasing it on Steam really made me mad, since it IS on other digital distribution platforms.

I will buy BF3 once it is on Steam and doesn't require Origin, and not a moment sooner

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users