How I Would Design Assault

5 replies to this topic

#1 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Goal: Teams must simultaneously attempt to defend their own base and capture their enemy's base.

1) Each Team has a Primary Capture Point to defend. If an enemy team captures this point, they win immediately. The capture time for this point is very fast (like 30 seconds).

2) In the midfield, there are two Secondary Capture Points. They are neutral at start. If Team A captures both Secondaries it introduces a 5 minute countdown to Team B (drawing defenders out). Recapturing one Secondary will end the timer.

3) Incentivize winning by base capture with a very large cbill payout - like 200,000 cbills.

Posted Image

Thoughts:
Behaviorally, the goal is to make the "deathball" tactic a liability and aims to spread people out.

In this version of Assault, if a team consolidates and attempts to seige the enemy base, they leave their Primary base open to a quick capture and loss. Alternatively, if a team attempts to dig in and play complete defense, the Secondaries can be captured and they will lose. A balance must be struck between attacking and defending/patrolling.

Currently, the benefit of deathballing a single objective and crushing a divided enemy is too high for anyone to split up. This means people play Conquest and Assault in generally the same manner as they play Skirmish - playing for kills and forgoing the objective as a secondary concern. Differentiating the game modes is important.

Role Warfare:
If the space between the Primary and Secondaries is far enough to break LOS and response time, then there is now a purpose to split forces, patrol, scout enemy numbers in those two locations, communiate and coordiante moves, even prioritize certain targets (kill the enemy fast Mechs and having an open base in the backfield is less of a danger). Even Heavy and Assault Mechs that exchange weapons for speed have a purpose in being able to move around the battlefield while slower, higher damage Mechs make ideal defenders. And so on.

PLEASE POST YOUR THOUGHTS! =)

Update: I can dream, can't I?

Posted Image

Edited by TygerLily, 10 November 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

Very interesting idea. I'd like to test it out!

#3 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

Updated with a map mockup!

#4 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

this could be a new game mode - it sounds fun

#5 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:58 AM

I see lights with ECM dominating this easily.

I would much more prefer an asymmetric version of Assault with only one base, attackers and defenders, (kinda like CW invasion) but 12 vs 12, with added turrets on base, no gates, or protected dropzones, and with command structures that need to be destroyed in multiple locations on the map. (Like power generator, turret control that kills turrets when taken out, and supply depot that needs to be captured for extra salvage cbills and mech repairs)

Defenders would have an edge in the form of turrets and would spawn near two of the command structures. (Power generator and Turret control, but not supply depot) Attackers would all spawn slightly spread apart (but not too much) and have an edge of being closer to the supply depot, and would have the ability to use the supply depot to repair/rearm their mechs once per match. (if more than 6 attackers use the supply depot to repair and rearm their mechs, no extra salvage cbills)

Edited by Vellron2005, 12 November 2015 - 06:01 AM.

#6 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 12 November 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

I see lights with ECM dominating this easily.

Spoiler

Cool, that all sounds great. You should flesh it out that asymetric mode and make a thread to suggest it.

Why would an ECM mech dominate in this version of Assault? Leave someone literally standing on base if you're worried. =)

(PS, ECM getting a big nerf in the next couple weeks)

Edited by TygerLily, 12 November 2015 - 10:59 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users