42 replies to this topic

#1 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

So a little background, I ended up in a drop (as a solo drop) with an top tier 8 man group. The other side was a defense of, what I viewed, as 12 solo pilots. After we dropped I captured this, despite what was about to happen this guy was positive throughout the match.

Props to you HawkEyes!

Posted Image

This was posted with permission from HawkEyes.

#2 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

Keeping a positive attitude in the face of adversity is a winning mindset. You are welcome addition to any team I'm on HawkEyes!!!!

#3 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

more pugs which being seal clubbed die to you like good little pugs?

#4 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

Commonly referred to as good sports.

#5 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 05 September 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

more pugs which being seal clubbed die to you like good little pugs?

W-what?

Yes- I wish the social aspect of the game was a bit better. PGI needs to work on this. FFS, even all chat is off by default!

#6 Steelmesh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

Yes, it would be better in general if people were more social and got immersed into their characters...

When I say immersed, I mean not talking about real-life stuff over VOIP while in a drop, maintaining comm discipline, and adressing their teammates properly (by rank or designation), and naturally, calling targets, chating in-character and stuff like that..

But that's hard to achieve when most players won't even (or can't) understand basic orders and concepts like "bring beta gate down to a sliver and open alpha, then push through alpha and attrition the enemy"... and what they do is ignore beta gate completely, open alpha, then 6 mechs just stand there and suffer arty strikes, wide-eyed and bewildered, while the other 6, instead of pushing, try to win a snipe-off with range-limited lasers..

The result is a 48:3 Jade Falcon stomping Davion..

Edited by Steelmesh, 07 September 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#7 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostSteelmesh, on 07 September 2015 - 12:09 AM, said:

Yes, it would be better in general if people were more social and got immersed into their characters...

When I say immersed, I mean not talking about real-life stuff over VOIP while in a drop, maintaining comm discipline, and adressing their teammates properly (by rank or designation), and naturally, calling targets, chating in-character and stuff like that..

But that's hard to achieve when most players won't even (or can't) understand basic orders and concepts like "bring beta gate down to a sliver and open alpha, then push through alpha and attrition the enemy"... and what they do is ignore beta gate completely, open alpha, then 6 mechs just stand there and suffer arty strikes, wide-eyed and bewildered, while the other 6, instead of pushing, try to win a snipe-off with range-limited lasers..

The result is a 48:3 Jade Falcon stomping Davion..

There are a large number of bright, articulate, and talented pilots in this game....but you can't fix stupid, and we have oxymorons who equate going 'solo' / dropping 'solo' with "playing with / as part of a team"...and think that exchanging weapons fire with a quad ERLL mech @ 800M with their ERSL is a winning trade.

Edited by Armando, 07 September 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#8 Acierocolotl

• PipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostArmando, on 07 September 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

..., and we have oxymorons who equate going 'solo' / dropping 'solo' with "playing with / as part of a team"...and think that exchanging weapons fire with a quad ERLL mech @ 800M with their ERSL is a winning trade.

As a friendly and hopefully helpful aside, an oxymoron is a a term which is self-contradicting, such as "jumbo shrimp". It is not a living, breathing being capable of confusion. You might just be thinking of a regular sort of moron, which is adept at that sort of thing.

So back on topic: while I'm all for good sports, how do (the collective) you hope to promote such behaviour? If you want to see more good sports out there, you do need to encourage it and give it an environment in which it can flourish.

#9 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostAcierocolotl, on 07 September 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

As a friendly and hopefully helpful aside, an oxymoron is a a term which is self-contradicting, such as "jumbo shrimp". It is not a living, breathing being capable of confusion. You might just be thinking of a regular sort of moron, which is adept at that sort of thing.

So back on topic: while I'm all for good sports, how do (the collective) you hope to promote such behavior? If you want to see more good sports out there, you do need to encourage it and give it an environment in which it can flourish.

I just didn't want to out and out call people morons, and since solo = team is oxymoronic I thought saying they are oxymoron's would be nicer.

Back on topic: One way is to follow Saxie's lead and give public props to folks who demonstrate such behavior.

#10 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

I used to do that all the time, today I barely even post an "<o" before a match.

When you wrote three nice sentences to a 23 people and don't even get a response or even a negative one, you just grow tired after a while

#11 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

View PostIqfish, on 07 September 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

I used to do that all the time, today I barely even post an "<o" before a match.

When you wrote three nice sentences to a 23 people and don't even get a response or even a negative one, you just grow tired after a while

I try my absolute hardest to keep things positive during drops, and most of the time limit my use of in game text to a 'o7' before and after the game (maybe make a self deprecating joke or two). All that said, I am happy as long as folks are acting like a$$hats when using in game text.

#12 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

I turned chat off. =/

#13 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PostTuis Ryche, on 07 September 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I turned chat off. =/

but you use in game voice communications, or are in a Team Speak with your teammates right?

#14 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Good for Hawkeyes. It's becoming downright rare to see players that act like MWO is what it is.
Most players that say anything after a defeat or just their own death's only throw abuse at their teammates.

When you compliment an enemy for fighting well they sometimes go ballistic like it's an insult.
It's like we're speaking another language but the grammar, spelling and words are exactly the same.
Sarcasm has become the most frequent way for players who don't know each other to communicate.

#15 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

View PostArmando, on 07 September 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

but you use in game voice communications, or are in a Team Speak with your teammates right?

Turned VOIP off, too. If I'm with other AW, I get on TS.

#16 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostAcierocolotl, on 07 September 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

So back on topic: while I'm all for good sports, how do (the collective) you hope to promote such behaviour? If you want to see more good sports out there, you do need to encourage it and give it an environment in which it can flourish.

Considering there's a 10+ page thread in General Discussion whose primary focus has been why saying "gg" (not ggclose, as the title suggests) after a game that wasn't a 14:30 12-11 nailbiter is griefing, I don't think it's feasible at this point.

MWO's population is not exactly in a formative stage. You've got a bunch of 30-60 year old white guys who decided a long time ago how they're going to treat people on the internet. They may be all unicorns and rainbows and "mutual respect" while they're winning, but MWO has some of the sorest losers I've ever seen.

The entire Marik faction pretty much quit CW (if not MWO as a whole) after Kurita called them on their BS and kicked their teeth in during CW Beta 1.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 07 September 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#17 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 07 September 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

Considering there's a 10+ page thread in General Discussion whose primary focus has been why saying "gg" (not ggclose, as the title suggests) after a game that wasn't a 14:30 12-11 nailbiter is griefing, I don't think it's feasible at this point.

MWO's population is not exactly in a formative stage. You've got a bunch of 30-60 year old white guys who decided a long time ago how they're going to treat people on the internet. They may be all unicorns and rainbows and "mutual respect" while they're winning, but MWO has some of the sorest losers I've ever seen.

The entire Marik faction pretty much quit CW (if not MWO as a whole) after Kurita called them on their BS and kicked their teeth in during CW Beta 1.

what was that all about anyway?

#18 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

Some dude got really, really mad because someone said "ggclose" in game, a few posts later some dudette made a comment about how people tend to rage even after a normal "gg" in game, then a thousand bittervets hopped in and decided that anyone saying "gg" after a match was doing it to mock them and their kids and their puppy and deserves to be punched in the face.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 07 September 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#19 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

I happen to know that a certain merc regiment pretty much was Marik in CW1. When they hopped around to other factions, Marik had fun times.

#20 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

View PostTranquil Winds, on 05 September 2015 - 04:42 PM, said:

Yes- I wish the social aspect of the game was a bit better. PGI needs to work on this.

Ummm... wat? By doing what exactly? Patching in subliminal messaging? Playing The Beatles backwards? Sending strongmen to beat up pleayers who say bad things over internet? Assigning political comissars to unit leaders? (actually, i know a certain unit which players could use several strong slaps to the face... there may be a method in this...)

View PostVlad Ward, on 07 September 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Some dude got really, really mad because someone said "ggclose" in game, a few posts later some dudette made a comment about how people tend to rage even after a normal "gg" in game, then a thousand bittervets hopped in and decided that anyone saying "gg" after a match was doing it to mock them and their kids and their puppy and deserves to be punched in the face.

That's because you are only supposed to gg after, you know, a good game. Not a 48-7 roflstomp. By saying gg after stomps, you make it look like it's mocking the losing team, even if it was sincere.

Edited by gloowa, 08 September 2015 - 05:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users