C-Bill Income Changed. And You Think That Would Tie Users To Your Game Better?

56 replies to this topic

#21 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 23 August 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

we'd have all burned out on Hawken two or three years ago, calling it a half-assed BattleTech wannabe. No. We HAVE MWO,

...which is a three-quarter-assed BattleTech wannabe.

You're right, we're at least a quarter better off :)

#22 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

Since Open Beta income has been nerfed twice.

Once for 12v12 because "you have more mechs to kill and thus could make more money" ignoring the fact that you have to compete with 4 extra team members. There was also the promise of "extra rewards" later down the line.

A year later, Rewards 2.0 arrives, and base rewards are lowered to compensate for extra triggers, even though they had already been lowered. Farming assists (which easily could earn 150-180k per game without bonuses) is no longer viable.

Statistically, I'm earning more now than before, but I've also received / activated lots of premium time, used lots of premium mechs, and have been playing significantly better (1.3 kdr > 1.5 kdr ).

I'm for a slight increase in earnings overall, and for better value from Premium time.
More Cbills == More Mechs.
More mechs == More Mechbays
More Mechbays == MC Purchase
MC Purchase == Free player converted to paying player
And one a free player becomes a paying player, they're more likely to make future purchases on things like colours, camos, mech packs and premium time. Converting free players is one of the hardest things to accomplish in a F2P title

#23 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

Apogee said =(Because they want you to buy things for MC, instead of grinding them for free with CBills.

Any other mysteries I can clear up for you? )

I have to say PGI has it wrong with thee low C-bill rewards and there just driving away the last few thousand players from this game. And splitting up 1 server for 3 means there desperate for $USD and looking for new blood to fill in the payroll now that they have practically nuked what was left of the old player base before and during the last few years.

And nothing I or anyone can say will change there core game back into a MechWarrior game. Paul the terrible economics and bad game design will be the doom of MWO yet.

Edited by PappySmurf, 23 August 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#24 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

Either:

1) they are milking they dying cow for all they're worth (I don't think so because they are spending resources on new content and reworked maps) or

2) they are employing the "mall" rental mentality. As shops close, they raise the rent on the survivors until there aren't any.

In either case, they are making a mistake. If they were smart - or if it's not already too late - they'd go for a subs model for this game with true microtransactions. Give subscribers the ability to buy the big packs for $20 or so and then sell the crap out of decals, paints, cockpit items, banners (for the outside of the mech). Add the ability for people to add guidons to their mechs.

Anything but a slow death from overpricing.

[edit] Selling a $100 pack to 3000 people yields a lot less than $15/month for 5000 people and 20000 people buying packs at $20 a pop and then outfitting them.

The C-Bill <lack of> economy is going to strangle this game.

Edited by Astrocanis, 23 August 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#25 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

The income is not as bad as during Closed Beta - Dying for 32K, but its still a killer.

I can admit that only 13 Mechs in my Hangar are bought with C-Bills. Most of them bought during OpenBeta.
All the other 123 were payed with $$ - problem is i don't have enough income to outfit them. Hell i have 4 Omnis of Wave 3 and can't change omni pods - because I'm in lack of C-Bills.

I don't need C-Bills for new Mechs i need those C-Bills to outfit my existing chassis. (One of the reasons why i think that Hero Mechs and Champion Mechs with SHS and no Endosteel are a joke - a bad one)
Or in other words i thought that it would be nice to have a 400XL for one of my BattleMasters - i did bought the AS7-Borat - its a bad Mech with Single Heatsink and no Endosteel - but at least it got a 400XL - with a 50% discounts is a better price rather than changing MC into C-Bills.

Suggestion:
Currently there are three different algorithm to calculate XP, C-Bills and Matchscore.
Because all variables are based on the actions of a player - I would strongly suggest to make one calculation -

Example:
(NARC(Count*Modifer) + Flank(Count*Modifier))+.... = (2*2) + (4*0.75) +.... = 7
Matchscore = 7
C-Bills: Matchscore * 10k * Premium * Hero
XP: Matchscore * 50 * Premium * Hero

A modifier for each action allows you to controll things without recalculation the full algorithm - if your server data says that there are only NARC guys but nobody uses a LRM - you simple reduce this value and increase another.

Conspiracy Theory:

I'm sure that the reduced income is a consequence of the C-Bill packages that you can earn for MC.
So i can guess that the sales for those packages are null or at a very very small level.
So what can be done to increase the number of sold packages? - Make them cheaper - or decrease the C-Bill income for players.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 23 August 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#26 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

I haven't seen a change. But that is because PSR has screwed things up so badly that I quit playing for now so I have no empirical data to examine. Maybe once they get things fixed... Who am I kidding? Fixed? Never happen, like so many other things that have been broken for months/years.

#27 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostTarogato, on 23 August 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

... I haven't noticed a difference.

Me neither. I think I make 150k-350k in wins with premium, sometimes a little less, sometimes more. The money gained in losses can be ignored.

#28 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

The C-bill earnings are still a bit high. There is nothing wrong with making them less a bit. However, there have been no noticeable changes to earnings with the patch!

#29 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:17 PM

I also feel that the C-Bill earnings have been somewhat reduced. Before the patch I was able to earn 380K in a
"hero" urbanmech. After the patch I haven't been able to earn more than 300K in any mech...

#30 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:03 AM

PGI could change that by implementing THIS to CW (that would even bring me back to those sucking stomps vs clans):

For every CW you become 1x lose/ x2 win equipment parts from the other side:
say:
1 go vs clan and lose: become 1x C-SL
or win become 1x C-UAC2 + 1x C-SL

This way soem can become the parts for the other side...

Fro the new beginners PGI may be so kind and give them 1x Zoom-modul + 1x Seismi or 1x target dep and 2 Weapon-moduls 1x range 1x cooldown.

THIS would make more thirsty for more....
And the prices for premium time must be a bit more inviting for new ones.

As one of those luckies who got the 3 month vaucher i am a 1% but i think many would also be intressted in 1 month permium for 5€.

More i would not give even my beloved MONNBREAKERS (which did not survived)

If any PGI eards this ask the MB devs maybe you can become the net code for speeds faster then 160 km/h, man that was fun times flying !!!

#31 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

Seelemlos said=(PGI could change that by implementing THIS to CW ) and I have to set it right from my point of view.

First SOLO/PUG matches need a C-bill buff 15-20% win or lose.
Second CW needs a C-bill boost 50-70% per battle win or lose.
Third all MC priced items need to be reduced by 50%.

PGI is just killing this game off with still high MC prices after3 years and low C-bills per battle to help retain new and old players.

P.S hey Russ wake up and smell the coffee pal before you lose this wonderful game to lack of listening to the players and fans who still like you and want to help you and MWO.

The Paul/Russ economy is destroying this game and destroying the player bases will to buy items with MC

Edited by PappySmurf, 24 August 2015 - 07:03 AM.

#32 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

Sigh, so many opposing views. But instead of two-fro and complaining, has anyone thought to ask....

Dear PGI,

plz post up a statement on this issue to clarify if/what has changed to bring an end to this droll discussion.

Thanking you for much kindness.

Back to tear collecting..

Edited by White Bear 84, 24 August 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#33 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

Methinks there is now a penalty for dying. People have noticed inflated matchscores in CW when they go through an entire match in only one mech. Perhaps this would explain why some people are noticing lower C-Bills in public queue while others are not. Some players have a habit of dying, so they notice they're making less now, while other players don't die as much, so they don't notice a difference.

</theory>

PLUG: if you install MadStats, it automatically sorts your MWO stats page and adds some stats like Death rate - for instance, if you die every other match, you'll have a 0.50 Death avg (50%), and I've had about 0.49 over the course of the past week, which is about the lowest I've ever gone. If you have 0.70 or higher, that means you're dying alot. =P

#34 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostAppogee, on 23 August 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

Because they want you to buy things for MC, instead of grinding them for free with CBills.

I would buy mechs with MC again, if they would cost around 3-5 $. But I clearly not going to spend 20$ for one mech, of which you of course need 3 to master your desired model.

And espcially, I won't spend any real money for mechs as long as this power creep going on. Just compare the MC costs for a timber wolf with a Dragon Slayer ...

I invested already more money as in the most single player games I own. The return of this money currently is low. Though there are recently steps in the right direction, the devs still works to slow.

I have played alot of f2p and p2p mmos. Contentwise MWO is the worst of all.

Edited by xe N on, 24 August 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#35 JediMechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMallory's World, Draconis March, Federated Suns

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

this seems to be more tied to the tier introduction and your current playing pool. the stomps are not as often, as the skill of both your allies and opponents will likely match your own a little better. this will net you less than you were previously used to.

#36 Mmerryweather

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

To reiterate: PGI, please quash the uncertainty behind C-Bill earning changes, if any were made.

Also, whoever says the C-Bill earning rate is too high. Just stop. Whatever your life is right now, just stop, please.

Edited by Mmerryweather, 24 August 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#37 amenophis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

Just to add one comment, I remember when we had to spend our c-bills to fix our own mechs damage and buy or repair weapons that got damaged. But to many people didn't like that so they went to what we have now. The game was a bit more boring after that but most people liked it that way. Me, I liked having the old economy but I was one of the few that did. Just thought I'd mention that a better economy was tried in the past.

#38 LiquidDivide

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

I've always liked the idea of actually salvaging equipment from the defeated mechs if you're the victor. Keep the C-Bills where they are, but reward players a certain amount of non-destroyed equipment afterwards. Headshot or leg a mech, and maybe you can get that perfectly running XL (or standard) engine for free. Add some controls to sell any unwanted items you acquired, could even pop up back in the mech bay screen after the match. It's almost like having the constant grab-bag type challenges all the time.

Edited by LiquidDivide, 24 August 2015 - 03:19 PM.

#39 Grym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

The economy has been terrible since the first time they nerfed it. But mainly for puggers. Now its intolerable for puggers.

I thought about looking for a new squad/clan when I came back...but ya know what...I don't have the time. I just want to stop around in a robot sometimes.

Maybe when this is ready to go up on steam, ETA 2017...?...more than likely if not longer, they will have realized that the over monotization of mechs/mech packs combined with the hyper-deflated earnings per game turns away more income from new players than attracts from the 1 in 10000 that are willing to spend tons of money to just enjoy the game. Understand what I said "ENJOY" the game.

Maybe ill come back then. Course my few hundred dollars worth of mechs will probably be next to useless by then. Mainly cause i don't want to spend money to equip them when i had to pay for them in the first place and don't have time to grind like that.

I don't see how anyone could have the time to grind like that.

#40 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

The economy is perfect, and I never even wanted to buy Premium time. I am sure that Premium time might feel as "too much". Stop asking for free stuff for participation! This is a game, not a charity event. You have to work your way without weaponry gifts for losing or winning or boosts for first victories.
I am a casual player who plays as little as 1-2 hours per four days, and I understand that hardcore veterans would get insane loads of money. PGI managed to balance the C-Bill income for both sides.
P.S. Typing in a larger font will not give you more attention and only displays impatience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users