Old Vs New Thermal Vision

37 replies to this topic

Poll: Old vs new thermal vision (147 member(s) have cast votes)

what thermal vision would you like?

1. new black and white (13 votes [8.84%])

Percentage of vote: 8.84%

2. old colored=super range (48 votes [32.65%])

Percentage of vote: 32.65%

3. old colored with shorter range (74 votes [50.34%])

Percentage of vote: 50.34%

4. longer range with black and white (12 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

it's more important to increase it's range, and I guess due to red/green color issues many people have the black-gray-white vrsion would be the common used one. You need to also think about the gamers a bit.

If you give it shorter range it's basically useless.

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 September 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#22 X T R E M E

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:53 AM

yes, I agree

#23 Batley

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

Gods I miss this so much. It was just like the thermal from MW2 and it has SUCH a 1980s feel to it. Shorten the range and bring it back. I absolutely hate this stupid grey/white/black **** we have now. It's bland and boring, and it seems like really primitive tech for the 31st century.

MWO devs: fix **** instead of removing it or replacing it with garbage.

#24 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

Since the new thermal vision range restrictions were made i use only nighvision or set up my monitor at higher brighness, with that settings it is much better vision than with either termal or nighvision. That restrictions are ridiculous. Even modern nighvision +3class can see more than 700 meters. I understand why developers added these restrictions, but the interest to new maps and some additional tactics could be only if they add searchlights for mechs with ability to blind pilots with termal or nightvision. But restore the range of vision. It'd be a new essential role of medium and light mechs on night maps.

Edited by Vetal, 03 October 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#25 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

What I hate the most in current therm vision is how it's making everything blurry with shitloads of noises like ugly glowing on hot tubes, smoke clouds etc. Its ugly, uninformative and causes FPS drop. Heat vision should be much more simple with more clear surroundings geometry, less useless effects and details. Yeah, okay, let it be short-ranged, it's fine, but at least on short range it should be informative and useful. Currently I'm trying not to use it on maps like River City or Mining Collective with lots of small obstacles and smoke/fires/etc because it only makes it harder to navigate.

#26 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

The new thermal sucks hard. It makes me believe the designers want to force us into looking at their pretty textures...and they hate that we coulD see their ecm clan mechs.

The old heat vision was what made this game fun for me.

#27 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:54 PM

too many maps have bugged and broken thermal vision modes... PGI has known this for years and ignored it.

#28 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 03 September 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

it's more important to increase it's range, and I guess due to red/green color issues many people have the black-gray-white vrsion would be the common used one. You need to also think about the gamers a bit.

If you give it shorter range it's basically useless.

If you give it longer range, then it becomes OP. By that, I mean everybody will always use thermal vision on every map every mode at every range for every engagement ever, because it makes it easier to see the enemy. That is not the game I want to have to play to remain competitive. Thermal vision is already used almost half the time on every map because it's just so good. If you increase the range on it, then nobody will ever use "normal vision mode". Nobody will ever see the effort PGIs artists put into making maps. Might as well not even texture the maps because people will only be using thermal vision.

Thermal and night vision NEED to have short ranges. Personally I'd rather they didn't exist entirely.

#29 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

Problem with MWO is that you have to use thermal to see anything at all on most maps, even at day.
There should be night maps, where the night is pitch black. There should be snow storms with zero visibility. And on those maps NV and TV should be used. On day maps ordinary vision should still be best.

#30 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

View Postm, on 24 August 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

I made a post like this some time ago and was ignored. It was around the time when modules were starting to be implemented. Had a vote and everything and nothing. So to the OP I say Good Luck.

The only difference with my vote was to allow the Option for any vision we so choose in the Options (night and heat as they were both different and better, for myself anyway...range was much more accurate, definitive, and superior..at least for me)

I've made plenty of good topics over the years and I get nowhere very very fast. Only difference these days is that my Topics are no longer jettisoned. Thank goodness that has changed.

Does PGI ever respond to these feedback and suggestion forums? I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

It's sad too, because there are so many good ideas here.

#31 Lanstrike

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

I think the range should be extended for those who run GPU's, that can support it with out a sizable drop in their frame rates.

However instead of making it this or that.
Please Allow us to extend our range via a menu.
In this menu we can select the option to set our thermal to white / black or Color at whatever range is the user feels is best. Problem solved.

#32 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

@LS
wouldn't that give some people who can actually afford really good computers an advantage though?
that is kind of cheating in a way, so pgi needs to try and keep it balanced while fair.

Balance & PGI should never be used in the same sentence now that I think about it since they clearly don't know how to balance anything they do, lol.

#33 Intenebrus

• Pip
  • Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

I think as long as you can use Thermal Vision to your advantage as both a way to spot enemies and a way to keep enemies from spotting you (Running cold for thermal 'stealth' or utilizing particularly cold or hot extremes of an area to hide your hot or cold mech) I don't mind if it's grayscale or using a color range. If I had to pick- I'd go for predator vision because grayscale is a bit boring, but I feel functionality is more important than aesthetics.

#34 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

View PostTarogato, on 02 September 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

I personally would rather they removed all vision modes from the game.

Thats a bit extreem thought i share the feeling. Fixing IR_bleed through cover and corners and not allowing NV to see through smoke and heat vents would not make then the obvious choice over normal vision. For example I really love how the new caustic look, the lighting etc but i mostly only see it in shades of green because seeing through heat vent and smokde is too big a buff and im rarely in position where i need to see long range. Forest is cool too with the trees obstructing vision in some places, i like it but oh wait, heat vision defeat the purpose and everyone without zoom is using it and its another map where the range limitation isnt a problem.

#35 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

The B/W version is kind of cool because it mirrors modern thermal vision, but the reason the military currently uses the B/W version is because it's a different technology with a vastly longer range.
So if we're using that, it should be much longer ranged (to be realistic). Practically though, it's good to have restrictions on it so that it's not objectively the best option at all times.

I also like the 'predator' version, especially because it differentiates it a bit more from night-vision. And unlike the B/W version, it's actually pretty limited in range in real life. But I don't necessarily prefer it to the B/W version.

Either way, it needs to become a part of information warfare. They need to add a module that masks your heat signature and absorbs IR (for night-vision):
  • It would need to be a single module that has both effects (because nobody would use the IR one on its own, and it would add more incentive for people to use it)
  • The heat masking would only work below a certain heat threshold
They also should make thermal vision malfunction when you're too hot, and give mechs spotlights they can toggle on and off (as an alternative to night-vision).

And only semi-related, but they should make an adaptive paint which changes color depending on your map (so it's white on Polar Highlands, brown or green on the forest, grey on the manifold, etc).
That's one I'd actually pay for...

Edited by Elendil, 13 May 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#36 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Technically I prefer the old one, if range would be at least on par with actual BW-one.

#37 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:42 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 03 September 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

[...] and I guess due to red/green color issues many people have the black-gray-white version would be the common used one. [...]

I wonder how difficult it would be to have an option to simply pick a "hot" colour and a "cold" colour so that you can customize the gradient for colour-blindness.

#38 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:23 AM

View PostSable Dove, on 16 September 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

I wonder how difficult it would be to have an option to simply pick a "hot" colour and a "cold" colour so that you can customize the gradient for colour-blindness.

I actually wonder, why PGI did a ultra dim version of the monochromatic heat vision. If we had such detail to see at least quite reasonable range I would surely say nope, in the poll.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users