- - - - -

Noob Want To Buy An Assust Mech Mastery Pack

21 replies to this topic

#1 Breender

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

I am just a noob like heavy weight brawling, as there is a MC discount running, I want purchase 1 mastery pack but can't decide between Atlas and Stalker pack.

It seems that Stalker hits harder than BH, but BH run faster and toughter, which one is better at brawing?

Also, since I am talking about Mastery pack, can someone compare the other 2 mech besides Hero mechs? I hear that the Atlas DDC is special in play style.

Can someone provide me some advise?

#2 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Noob? Don't take the Atlas mastery pack.

Atlas are really great brawler but they are very difficult to play today. Anyone focus on them, they have bad harpoints location, it's difficult to play other build than brawlers, etc...

The Stalker pack is going to be funnier for a young player, Stalkers are slow but they have very good survivability. You can play LRM boat, laser boat or brawler with SRM + lazors.

To compare Misery vs Boars Head : they are both great mechs, but the misery is one of the best heroe in the game : great hardpoints, great survivability, really cool brawler with an AC/20... You can't regret that pack.
You think that Boars Head is faster than Misery? It's true if you fit an XL 400 in it, but XL engine in Atlas made them really easy to kill and it's difficult to play them.

You should check the forum on the assault mech section, you will find a lot of information about atlai and stalkers ;)

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

Sure! Now, let's start with my experience, since it's important to know where I'm coming from. I don't have either of those, so remember, this is from someone whose only fought them, not played them.

For me, the stalker actually feels tougher, which is odd, cuz it's the smaller of the two, but they just seem to take longer to take down. Mostly because they can spread damage well whereas the Atlas just kinda takes it.

That said, the atlas seem to deal damage better, probably because it's heavier so I'm guessing it can just load more ballistics. Also, the Atlas DDC is an assault mech that can bring it's own ECM, so there' always that. Caveat, that means if I see you, I'mma focus you.

Hope it helps.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 27 August 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#4 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

The Stalker does really well with a lot of lasers and high weapon mounts; I guess it's easier to build with fewer weapon groups and it is very sturdy. Well, so is the Atlas, but the Stalker is easier to take into CW too. Both will attract a lot of attention, so no help there :)

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 27 August 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#5 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:11 AM

Go for Stalkers. They're freaking zombies. They just won't die!

#6 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

As a person who has Mastered 4 Atlai let me tell you....go for the Stalkers.

An Atlas is tricky to play right and from the current variants I'd say only the D-DC and the S are worth their price. The D-DC obviously because of ECM and the S because it does the whole 'AC/20 + a whole load of SRMs brawling' even better than the D-DC.

The Boar's Head most defining asset, that 400XL, is a death sentence in an Atlas. People will Always go for your side torso because that's where most of your weaponry is and they aren't hard to hit. Though you could always plonk that XL400 in a Wubmaster or Wubshee.

The Misery in comparison isis a tough Assault, I always feel a bit of fear when I encounter one because even if I manage to win a 1 on 1 it will leave be close to death when it's decently piloted.

And like said you can do more different things with the other Stalkers.

(In defense of my D-DC and S I have to add that I still enjoy playing them both and they often get taken around for a stroll whenever an event is going on that requires a certain match score) :)

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

Stalkers will give you more options than Atlases.

#8 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:35 AM

Stalkers are also much more forgiving than the Atlas. If you are a new player, I think it would be wiser to run the Stalker as your first assault mech.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:50 AM

If you're interested in CW (earning mech-bays and stuff) go with stalkers.
Stalkers are more versatile, allowing for both ranged and brawling setups (even "usefull" LRM boats).
If it's just for the plain "in ya face!" gameplay, both will do, but atlases are best as closerange brawling setups.
If it's only for the hero then: Misery > Boars Head.

That said, i think the D-DC Atlas is one of the most fun to play mechs in the game. STD 350-360, ECM, AC20, 3x SRM6+A, 2 ML backup, this thing wrecks faces up close.
Posted Image

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:23 AM

Yes the D-DC is a great mech, but please not in the hands of a self-proclaimed noob. Please OP, do not take offense at this. The problem with the D-DC is the ECM. In order to utilize it to its fullest potential you need to actively manage it. With everything else involved in this game, new players need to simplify their experience so they can concentrate on staying with their team and locking targets. Once you get very comfortable with that, then drive an ECM mech.

But perhaps the biggest problem with the D-DC is what they inspire in your team. The assaults will gather around you and go where you go because they assume that people who drive D-DCs know what they are doing. For this reason as well as the ECM you will be targeted first by your enemies, and because your friendlies will be following you they may get into a bad situation that they cannot get out of.

D-DCs can be great mechs, but they really need experienced drivers, and that is what your team relies on when you bring one to the party.

As far as Stalkers go, they are badasses. Plain and simple. The Misery is a mech for someone who wants to inflict pain on the enemy and when they get hit the person driving them laughs and says, "oh yeah?! Well, take this!"

When PGI introduced the Stalker all the dedicated Atlas drivers were crying in their beers. Go with the Stalker pack. You won't be sorry.

Edited by mailin, 28 August 2015 - 04:25 AM.

#11 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:08 AM

Stalkers! Great mech, one of the very best heroes, very meta-proof. The Atlas is pretty mediocre these days.

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 28 August 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

The Atlas is pretty mediocre these days.

Posted Image

But yeah....sad but true...... :(

#13 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Stalker pack is good value

#14 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

With the current IS quirks the Stalker is the better choice then the Atlas. It's also a better mech for being able to roll damage across the mech to be able to live longer then the atlas. The atlas isn't a bad mech but of the two the stalker would be the easier mech to learn

Keep in mind that you can't bring that into community warfare being on the clan side

Edited by Chocowolf, 28 August 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#15 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Stalkers Mastery is better than Atlas one.
First,Misery >>> Boar's Head;I haven't created well working design for my BH yet,while Misery gives a bunch of nice options - 5xLL,2xPPC+AC20,some mix of heavy and medium lasers plus AC10...
Moreover,for a newbie piloting Stalkers could be easier as they naturally spread damage among CT/STs,even without twisting when attacked from front.Add to that Stalkers have 4 nicely,high placed energy hardpoints perfect to peek over a hill and run back after a shot.
So,the choice is easy - Stalker Mastery.

#16 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

STALKER. Smaller silhouette means harder to hit with direct-fire weapons. Arm weapon mounts are relatively high, for better hill humping. Arms are small, for quicker corner peeks, but are decent for shielding side torsos. Side torsos are small and sleek, so an XL engine isn't quite as dangerous to carry. Great hardpoints. Misery is an excellent hero mech.

Stalker is the better assault mech.

#17 Breender

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the advise, I will get a [color=#959595]Stalker pack then,.[/color]

#18 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

Good luck!

The Stalker mastery pack was the first thing I purchased in MWO, and I have never regretted it.

Enjoy!

#19 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:48 PM

Argh. I hate so much to advice not taking the Atlas pack for New Players today. Between the Atlas and the Stalker the Stalker is obvious are far better choice.

Most reasons are already said here how and why.

Good luck gent!

#20 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:12 AM

I really wish that PGI would give the Atlas quirks to make it truly the king of the IS mechs. They just look like they mean business. I also want to be able to equip mine with a pinky ring. Given PGI's history the pinky ring will probably come first.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users