Thunderbolt Offset Cockpit Not Best For New Players

19 replies to this topic

#1 JagerXII

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

The tutorial is coming along great. I have a quick critique on the choice of mech that you are first dropped in. The Thunderbolt with its offset cockpit may confuse some first time players when they see that their feet are not properly lined up with their cockpit as it would be with a human head. Almost any other mech in the game would be preferable to the Thunderbolt so new players can feel the symmetry of their mech when they are learning the basics.

#2 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

I only took a quick look at the tutorial, but thought the same.

I also felt that 5 weapon groups is a bit much for this purpose. I think 3 would be ideal so that any normal mouse can be used to activate them.

I think ideally the training mech would have 3 groups including an AC, lasers, and missiles, and with some of the three arm-mounted and others torso-mounted. Something like the stock WVR-6R could be very effective in teaching basic weapon mechanics, but without unnecessary hassle.

#3 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:50 AM

I agree the TRB is not the best option especially for the newbies because of the cockpit not being centered.

But its really hard to choose the right mech. It should be one which has everything. All weapon types and perhaps even JJs (if they are not being teached in another lesson).

#4 Zeleglok

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

View PostTexAce, on 28 August 2015 - 01:50 AM, said:

I agree the TRB is not the best option especially for the newbies because of the cockpit not being centered.
But its really hard to choose the right mech. It should be one which has everything. All weapon types and perhaps even JJs (if they are not being teached in another lesson).

HGN. VTR. SHD.
Exclude JJ requirement and several more will fit.
Don't think this offset cockpit is a real problem though... hadn't even noticed that before reading this topic.

Edited by Zeleglok, 28 August 2015 - 04:03 AM.

#5 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:02 AM

what about an Atlas, probably the AS7-K instead?
it has LRMs for a "lock-on" mechanic to be explained, a Gauss (one of the trickier weapons in the game to get used to) and a butt load of lasers (both arm and torso mounted, to help teach about the seperate reticles)

edit:

View PostZeleglok, on 28 August 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

HGN. VTR. SHD.
Exclude JJ requirement and several more will fit.

yeah, i was going to suggest the victor, its also fast enough to be not a bore, while slow enough to feel like a mech, but it doesn't come stock with lock on missiles (maybe a custom -9s with streaks?)

Edited by Euphor Kell, 28 August 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#6 ismell your fear or soiled pants

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:53 AM

I think that the stock CN9-D would also be a good choice as it has a balistic, energy and an lrm.

#7 vortmax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

I like the DRG-FANG as a first mech choice: AC/10, 2 ML, and SRM6. Three groups, three different (short range) weapons, one of which is in the arm for arm training.

Also get the new player used to a Hero, so they spend $$ to get it? :ph34r: ;)

#8 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

I would swear (at least the last time I used it) that the camera location for the cockpit for the "First Person" view actually ignored the actual location of the head and was centered instead. At least it didn't feel off-center compared to older MW titles with similar Thors. Has this been changed?

Is it a big issue either way? I haven't gotten in there to look yet. I wouldn't imagine having a huge issue with an off center mech in the learning pot as long as I were aware of it. I mean if the player didn't have any clue until they twisted? Yeah I could see that having a weird effect. At the same time the offset wasn't really used ever again minus a couple mechs so I could see some logic to just picking something closer to the average experience.

#9 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

The shadowhawk would probably be the best mech to teach the games basics. Jack of all trades.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 07 September 2015 - 04:18 AM.

#10 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

Agree with either the shadow hawk or Centurion.

You want it to be as accessible to new players as you can. You can keep the T-bolt in the Academy as one of the mechs the player can drop in if he picks it, but I don't think its an ideal design for teaching someone the basics.

#11 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

I disagree that it's not the best for new players, but it does need some mention that not all cockpits are centered on a mech, and that this may be disorientating at first. It's a teaching moment.

Summoner, Grasshopper, Atlas, Thunderbolt are all offset to the pilot's left, some more than others.

#12 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 28 August 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

I disagree that it's not the best for new players, but it does need some mention that not all cockpits are centered on a mech, and that this may be disorientating at first. It's a teaching moment.

Summoner, Grasshopper, Atlas, Thunderbolt are all offset to the pilot's left, some more than others.

WRONG!
Summoner's cockpit is on the right-side of the mech.

However all of the Inner Sphere mechs with off-set cockpits have them on the left side of the mech (at least the ones in the game, that is).

#13 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

I think there's a very good reason they used this Thunderbolt: to show off multiple kinds of weapons. It would make even more sense if there was a later section of the tutorial that talked about weapon groupings and why it's a good idea to build mechs a certain way and group certain weapons together. This Thunderbolt can serve as a sort of example of how *not* to build a mech - the new player will find it confusing and overwhelming at first. Capt. Adams could even poke fun at how terrible the build is and that's why they're only giving it to fresh blood. He'd suggest that they hop into any of the other mechs sitting around the citadel.

Personally, I tend to forget the Thunderbolt has an offset cockpit and I didn't notice it at all in the tutorial. I don't think it's a deal breaker.

#14 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostEuphor Kell, on 28 August 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

what about an Atlas, probably the AS7-K instead?

it has an offset cockpit as well

my nomination would be the ctf-2x, very similar weapon loadout as the tdr theyre using but its got a centered cockpit

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=42&l=stock

Edited by GMan129, 30 August 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#15 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:38 AM

I personally found it pretty fun for a training mech: looks and feels powerful, teaches you about 5 different weapon systems at once. And apparently has DHS.

#16 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

I'm not sure that the T-bolt is that bad due to the offset cockpit. But I think that CTF is a better starting mech. Sufficiently durable and agile. Plus interesting array of weapons. As for jumping and LRMs ... Maybe it's better to introduce different mechs and roles in the tutorial. Separate ECM training as 'sneak past LRM-boats' would also be welcome.

#17 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

I agree with the OP the Thunderbolt is not the best for new players. Having it pointed out how offset I was, was a bit disconcerting as a veteran player.

For a large variety of weapons the Battlemaster would probably be a better trainer or a 2X Cataphract which can carry most everything too.

#18 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 28 August 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

The shadowhawk would probably the best mech to teach the games basics. Jack of all trades.

I agree with the shadowhawk.

#19 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

I only experienced this through a video recording, but I was a little concerned about the offset cockpit. I'd throw in a vote for the Centurion as it's got a little of all three weapon types, where the missiles require locks.

Failing that, the Orion would be a good candidate as it has all 3 weapon types and it has both SRMs and LRMs, so it would allow newer players to experience both flavors within the academy.

#20 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

It's a good consideration but I really don't think it will be a problem. Regardless of where your head is you use the crosshairs. New players won't know about side-peeking, etc. and will likely be more worried about landing shots, watching heat, and (if they are really a quick learner) rolling damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users