The Executioner: Masc Of The Executioner, A Gargles Tale

BattleMechs

96 replies to this topic

#81 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

I have to admit, I fully expected the EXE to be Gargles 2.0, but after taking it for a spin last night I ended up with a KDR of 4/0. It was only a couple of matches so there was probably a great deal of luck involved, but I'm not sure I've ever quite managed that in any other unbasic'd mech. So I'm willing to concede I might have been wrong.

#82 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:10 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 03 September 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

I have to admit, I fully expected the EXE to be Gargles 2.0, but after taking it for a spin last night I ended up with a KDR of 4/0. It was only a couple of matches so there was probably a great deal of luck involved, but I'm not sure I've ever quite managed that in any other unbasic'd mech. So I'm willing to concede I might have been wrong.

makes me wonder if all the people laughing at me when I say the executioner is on par or superior to the direwolf have never even played more then 5 games in a executioner or played at all :ph34r:

#83 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

View PostKHETTI, on 02 September 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

Been running the Sexocutioner with a cERPPC and 5xcMPLas, what a beast of a mech!.
Its everything Mr Gargles wishes to be!.

Edit: Hmmm seems theres a bug where MASC will not turn off, had it happen 3 times now.

That bug happens especially if you alt tab at all.

#84 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 September 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

makes me wonder if all the people laughing at me when I say the executioner is on par or superior to the direwolf have never even played more then 5 games in a executioner or played at all :ph34r:

I think you're on an island there.

The Executioner is not on the same level as a Direwolf.

#85 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 September 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

The Executioner is certainly a different sort of animal than the DWF. The DWF brings all the guns to the party, but it's sluggish getting there. The Executioner has a lot less firepower, but with MASC and JJs it has a much easier time getting around and taking advantage of targets of opportunity as well as getting out of the line of fire in a pinch. At least that's my impression in my admittedly narrow experience with it so far.

Basically even though it only does what Gargles was designed to do in short bursts, it still manages to do it better and with bigger/more guns and survivability.

#86 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

The Executioner is probably the second best Clan assault Mech that we have right now. While it may be easier to play than a Dire as it is less prone to being left behind and more maneuverable, with team support and experienced piloting/positioning the Dire is really hard to beat, that is why it is a comp team favorite.

#87 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 03 September 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

The Executioner is probably the second best Clan assault Mech that we have right now. While it may be easier to play than a Dire as it is less prone to being left behind and more maneuverable, with team support and experienced piloting/positioning the Dire is really hard to beat, that is why it is a comp team favorite.

Exe and WAR are both tied in my eyes for 2nd best clan assault. Both are very different animals than the Dire and are quite capable with the right setup, for melting faces.

I got payed the ultimate compliment while playing (and carrying ) in a Warhawk, Lugh, I love watching you play from someone in voip that had died earlier in the match.

Comp teams(the one or two I played on two years ago or so) would prefer the EXE for its maneuverability. I'd imagine the same hold true today as well. There is less compensation needed for the slower speed associated with the Dire.

#88 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 September 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Yes: but wasn't the timberwolf the main best mech before the hellbringer then?

It was the best mech afterward until the major nerfs.

View PostNightshade24, on 02 September 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

I picked the summoner and executioner becasue I wanted something that wasn't an obviously bad mech like the gargoyle and mist lynx (however the mad dog worse then summoner part in your comment does confuse me).

other conttributing factors? like how the executioner has most of the same high hardpoints of the hellbringer and also has low arms and only ferro and no endo?

The Summoner can jump snipe, and while the Timby could possibly do it better, it is still really good at it and the mech can spread and absorb damage better than the Timber even imo. The Mad Dog on the other hand is relegated to short range weapons generally on top of being squishy.

As far as the contributing factors, the low arms is the problem for the Executioner but it is more because you don't have much more firepower than a Timby. If it could use more firepower (like mounting Endo instead of Ferro and dropping 3 JJs), the mech would be even more of a contender than it already is, essentially a Warhawk+.

#89 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 03 September 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

If it could use more firepower (like mounting Endo instead of Ferro and dropping 3 JJs),...

No about dropping the 3 JJs! It could definitely use Endo and being a 85 instead 95 tonner but then it stops being an EXE.

#90 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 03 September 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

No about dropping the 3 JJs! It could definitely use Endo and being a 85 instead 95 tonner but then it stops being an EXE.

So we allow missile-less Timbers and Maulers, but an Executioner or Summoner without JJs is UNACCEPTABLE? After it was allowed for a while, I'm pretty sure most people would stop caring (not all though).

And where did I say dropping it to 85 tons? All I said that the ability to mount more firepower would make it a better Warhawk because they both go the same speed and similar firepower, but the Exe has access to JJs, MASC, and better armor. Making it like the Warhawk does not imply making it 85 tons.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 03 September 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#91 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 03 September 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

So we allow missile-less Timbers and Maulers, but an Executioner or Summoner without JJs is UNACCEPTABLE? After it was allowed for a while, I'm pretty sure most people would stop caring (not all though).

I don't think that's a good comparison, because of the construction rules differences (hardwired stuff vs not hardwired stuff, Omni vs BM)...There are also a few stock Timbers without missiles like the Alternate A.

In terms of JJs, I'd rather alter the scaling so that carrying a large quantity was more efficient per jet than only skimping by with 1-2 jets. I think I've seen some forum ideas for exponential JJ scaling...that idea might work. And then there's also making STD structure worthwhile to indirectly benefit the SMN and EXE...

#92 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Yes, it's unacceptable because of the construction rules (FupDup) AND that the ability to jump is one of its defining characteristic.

And where did I say dropping it to 85 tons?

No, I said that not you. Dropping to 85 tons would free some pod space (tonnage not crits, if we have the same number of fixed DHS - Class II instead of class I JJs, 0.5t lighter engine, and in TT lighter MASC). TT-wise this means that it will gain 4.5t of free space but gain 4 crits but lose 4 free crits, but sadly in MWO it will only gain 3.5t of free space because it still mounts the same Class of MASC (different MASC's class rounding rules in MWO).

Edited by Hit the Deck, 03 September 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#93 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 03 September 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

It was the best mech afterward until the major nerfs.

The Summoner can jump snipe, and while the Timby could possibly do it better, it is still really good at it and the mech can spread and absorb damage better than the Timber even imo. The Mad Dog on the other hand is relegated to short range weapons generally on top of being squishy.

As far as the contributing factors, the low arms is the problem for the Executioner but it is more because you don't have much more firepower than a Timby. If it could use more firepower (like mounting Endo instead of Ferro and dropping 3 JJs), the mech would be even more of a contender than it already is, essentially a Warhawk+.

why is the mad dog restricted to close range? 3/4 of it's stock variants are long range...

Also the shadowcat does good damage for it's tonnage as well as good at poking and can jump snipe pretty well (ie ecm + 2 er ppc) so why is this worse then the summoner?

Also the executioner can do the famous large pulse + ER medium laser to a higher number then the timberwolf/ ebon jaguar thus considerably more damage. for same heat efficiency.

View PostDeathlike, on 03 September 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Agreed, it's better :P

#94 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 September 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Agreed, it's better :P

It's not.

You might feel it's better, but objectively it's not.

Unless you truly believe a Light in this game is superior to an Assault (let alone a Direwolf)... which is fine as an opinion, but you can't dispute what they are in comp play.

Put two elite players with fully mastered meta Direwolf and Executioner... the guy in the Direwolf is going to win more often than not assuming equal skill and they both rotate between mechs (so it's not just the same guy stuck in a Direwolf).

Edited by Deathlike, 03 September 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#95 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 September 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

It's not.

You might feel it's better, but objectively it's not.

Unless you truly believe a Light in this game is superior to an Assault (let alone a Direwolf)... which is fine as an opinion, but you can't dispute what they are in comp play.

Put two elite players with fully mastered meta Direwolf and Executioner... the guy in the Direwolf is going to win more often than not assuming equal skill and they both rotate between mechs (so it's not just the same guy stuck in a Direwolf).

it was a joke on your poor wording and the fact my earlier statement said equal or better.

However if you put a meta executioner up against a timberwolf, gargoyle, or warhawk of equal skill I got my money on the executioner winning and in close quarters I think the Exe may win as well due to sheer speed and mobility assuming the direwolf has S or B side torsos hindering it's torso movement and such.

#96 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Mmm, simples.

The Gargoyle and Executioner fall under the idea of 'Not awful if you know how to pilot'.

Granted, both have wonky weapon positions though, however, Gargles you'd be hard pressed to have a bad game in terms of damage once elited, like many others' it's bad when basic'd, same with Exe. Find the right build, you'll eat people. These 'mechs don't play like other 'mechs, so yeah, they're difficult with that mindset that 'Every Assault 'mech is a Dire wolf'.

Handy hint; they have a lot of energy hard points for a reason. :ph34r:

#97 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

I am wondering if I should spend 46 million C-bills for 2 more EXEs'

So what’s the verdict?

Is the Executioner good or bad (they are pretty expensive)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users