State Of Match Making - Feedback/comments

1142 replies to this topic

#1121 DrewThePirate

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 08:19 PM

I know everyone was freaking out about the matchmaker being bugged, but now that the july 21 patch is out, matchmaker is literally taking 100% longer to match me while I'm in a 2-man group. I don't really care if the quality of matches is lower, I don't want to wait 15 minutes for a match! It was working great prior to the july 21 patch. If people have to wait ten or fifteen minutes to play with a friend, they're just gonna quit the game.

#1122 zwhitt87

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 08:32 PM

Queue times resulting from post July 21, 2022 patch are ridiculous. The decision to "improve" matchmaking balance in this patch was a cliché violation of the old adage "if it ain't broke, dont fix it." I just spent 8+ minutes waiting to join a battle where I inevitably died within the first 2 min (I admit I suck at this game but its still fun). While I suppose some would look on this delay as an ample opportunity to fix themselves a sandwich...I for one, am already plenty fat and just want to murder some damn giant robots. Please revert matchmaking to pre-July '22 programming. Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by zwhitt87, 22 July 2022 - 08:40 PM.

#1123 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 07:07 PM

This is fkn bull5hit.

#1124 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 03:07 PM

LOL HI master Q

i have been up and down from TIER 4 to TIER 5, many- many- times, and yes i play SOLO the last 2.5 years. but i think i been playing alot longer then you. Because i loved 8 x 8 -- just went thru a rough patch last 3 months, but something changed last week or so i get chatty folks and some ok pilots, and we rock there world.
YOU also have to should know there was a GREAT change, in PSR AKA --- TEIR group, and there are certain times to play if play in afternoon eastern time it may be better for you if you can keep 250 or so MATCH SCORE, if not your toast, you also have to learn, to have a ALPHA strike above 35, or some thing that blinds them. every think of LBX 2 build need 3 maybe 2 and shoot in the HEAD, then lasers 5 med. good luck

SAWK CLANNER

#1125 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 117 posts
  • LocationAlso StankDog the damp

Posted 21 August 2022 - 07:35 AM

The last week has been almost nothing but Tier 1 matches. Lots of stomps. I am lucky if I do 100 damage. There is no more fun or fairness here. I'm done.

#1126 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 03:05 PM

LOL your tier 3 --- way above me, i have nose dived to the middle of tier 5, wrong time zone, and no team, just play with newbs or as there called here PUGS.
YOU REALLY need to get discord, find some friends, try SINK dropping with a 4 man team, OHH wait i NOT allowed to tell you this THINGS .

SAWK PS i have been just surfing along playing the same, kills are OK, wins are bit below, just learn to build a mech to stay where you are, and STOP being moody : )

#1127 Kieva

• PipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 03:19 PM

I have been trying to steadily climb out of the middle of Tier 4, and really, I just think the tier system needs some work. I'm getting to the point where I have to play specific mechs now, if I want to make any progress. In example, I can't run a single Timberwolf, because they all get focused, and they can't outshoot a single mech in the game without help, their complete lack of structure and armor compared to every regularly played mech just makes them like paper dolls.

In fact, all the mechs I have to play to get improved results are either assaults in general, or Inner Sphere, because the time to kill is so low these days from IS weapons, and clan Heavies are all soooooooo quick to drop.

The "Splash damage" on Clan ER-PPCs needs to go now, the ghost heat on them can go away too. These are archaic 'one shot' prevention methods, since there's so many ways to drop someone in two seconds.

View PostSawk, on 21 August 2022 - 03:05 PM, said:

LOL your tier 3 --- way above me, i have nose dived to the middle of tier 5, wrong time zone, and no team, just play with newbs or as there called here PUGS.
YOU REALLY need to get discord, find some friends, try SINK dropping with a 4 man team, OHH wait i NOT allowed to tell you this THINGS .

SAWK PS i have been just surfing along playing the same, kills are OK, wins are bit below, just learn to build a mech to stay where you are, and STOP being moody : )

#1128 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 06 November 2022 - 09:12 AM

The matchmaker really needs fixing the tiers should only be playing 1 higher than the lowest avalibe so 5 should only play with 4's and such unless there's seriously not enough players to fill it, but even then...

Edited by KursedVixen, 06 November 2022 - 09:28 AM.

#1129 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 09:18 AM

View PostKieva, on 02 November 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

I have been trying to steadily climb out of the middle of Tier 4, and really, I just think the tier system needs some work. I'm getting to the point where I have to play specific mechs now, if I want to make any progress. In example, I can't run a single Timberwolf, because they all get focused, and they can't outshoot a single mech in the game without help, their complete lack of structure and armor compared to every regularly played mech just makes them like paper dolls.

In fact, all the mechs I have to play to get improved results are either assaults in general, or Inner Sphere, because the time to kill is so low these days from IS weapons, and clan Heavies are all soooooooo quick to drop.

The "Splash damage" on Clan ER-PPCs needs to go now, the ghost heat on them can go away too. These are archaic 'one shot' prevention methods, since there's so many ways to drop someone in two seconds.
Yes clan mechs need equal structure and armor to their direct IS equivlents like for example a ddire and kodiak should have the same armor as an Atlas since they all weigh 100 tons.

The problem with this clan having less armor thing is clan mechs aren't just facing Inner sphere mechs but also clan mechs with the same high damage weapons yet only inner sphere mechs get more armor to compensate for the increased damage clan weapons get?

And i agree about the CERPPC but i also think the IS ERPPC needs changed I think they should be changed to tabletop the Is ERPPC is too cold.

Both should do 15 heat but the IS one should do only 10 damage and the CERPPC should do 15 damage for the same 15 heat and remove ghost heat from them and make it like 5 I mean the Warhawk Prime has 4 and i have to chainfire them, what happens if some noob tries a trail warhawk prime???

THe other problem is that clan ATMs have a 120m minimium range i propose 2 fixes. #1.just give them 0 minimium IS have MRms at larger tube counts that make ATM's almost uselss restoring the 3 damage could help too #2 do what PGI Did with the clan LBX and seperate them ATM HE does 3 damage has no minimum range and only goes out to MRM range at most maybe dropping to 2.5 or less as it goes further out
ER ATM 120m range minimium 1100 max range 1.5 damage.

And restore clan streak damage back to 2 I already didn't use streaks and making them do less damage has made them totally useless to me now.

The other problem is the IS has sooo many weapons that can kill you now it's almost suicidal; now to run clans RACs HEavy PPC heavy guass light guass light ppc These all need FAIRLy balanced.... for example RACs really need to jam faster.... and All PPCs except snubs and ERPPC need that minimium range which was removed for what reason other than [Ride of the Valkeires music plays]iNERF THE CLANS NERF THE CLANS NERF THE CLAAANS!!!

AND FOR THE LOVE OF KERENSKY SCALE BACK THE RANGE CREEP InnerSphere is GETTING!! LET CLAN HAVE THEIR DAMN RANGE!!!

Edited by KursedVixen, 06 November 2022 - 09:47 AM.

#1130 PraetorRUS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 326 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 08 November 2022 - 01:43 AM

View PostKieva, on 02 November 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

You definitely have problems with positioning, as I just returned to MWO after 7+ years of not playing and Timber prime with a standard laservomit + ECM build carried me to Tier2 in 2 weeks. And only in tier2 I started to really struggle with Timber being focused (specifically left shoulder), so switched to Mad Cat deathstrike that carried me to tier1 right now.

Edited by PraetorRUS, 08 November 2022 - 01:49 AM.

#1131 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:37 AM

View PostPraetorRUS, on 08 November 2022 - 01:43 AM, said:

You definitely have problems with positioning, as I just returned to MWO after 7+ years of not playing and Timber prime with a standard laservomit + ECM build carried me to Tier2 in 2 weeks. And only in tier2 I started to really struggle with Timber being focused (specifically left shoulder), so switched to Mad Cat deathstrike that carried me to tier1 right now.
The timberwolf prime does not come with an ECM Slot your using the BH left torso... which means your dropping the set of 8 quirks and buying a new omnipod....

Edited by KursedVixen, 27 November 2022 - 08:37 AM.

#1132 PraetorRUS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 326 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:47 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 27 November 2022 - 08:37 AM, said:

The timberwolf prime does not come with an ECM Slot your using the BH left torso... which means your dropping the set of 8 quirks and buying a new omnipod....

Yes, I do, more of it, Timber-S is even better as it has JJ's. I'm playing Prime CT just because I have +30% CBills bonus on it, but omni mechs are supposed to be used with pods you feel profitable for you, and a set of 8 is not worth it for TBR compared to what you can build.

Edited by PraetorRUS, 27 November 2022 - 08:50 AM.

#1133 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:09 AM

I think it would be wise to separate all tiers into their own mm brackets
because getting curbstomped by "premade" t1 sweatlords who left faction play isn't good for the soul.

#1134 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:08 PM

ok i need to say something--- that is -- we are a small group, i follow some pilots on the leader board, its just a bowling leauge for some GIFTED Pilots, its is also a TIME ZONE for some, i know why this is-- because i played them years past : )
THERE is also the high speed COMPUTER THING, i shoot straight at folks, and the game adjusted to me, but everyone has the HIGH speed, years past its was about learning lag shooting.
OHH i just said some of you folks------are on to slow of a COMPUTER -- it is true
HMM how many suffer from i PROVE i build WORKS, its something ABOUT folks, its all HUMAN to lead, but its also about learning and LOGIC, you will be JUGDED, on your MOOD.

SAWK CLANNER i need 3 kills -- today : )

SAWK CLANNER

#1135 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:39 AM

In fact, it would be much better if the war never ended and it would be an open world. This actually exists, but it is not practical. Posted Imageactually the problem is that the servers are remote, I wish they could be merged.I wish the star map we saw wasn't empty.

I always wanted a big world.

#1136 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:43 AM

chaos is beautiful

#1137 Tha_14

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 07:37 AM

I'd also agree that 4 man groups would be better.

#1138 H4RDCA5E

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 11:01 PM

Guys,

While I don't mind getting hard matches as a solo player because of my rating, I don't see how putting 9-10 low tier players in my team vs. organized hi-tier units would make balance. Again, I don't mind the 8-10 match loss streaks, but these stomps just kill the game for a big group of these fellas.

Also, balancing should include the maps too. Most of the maps are only good for single player missions. Apart from vitric station or maybe variations of canyon network are unbalanced by nature.
There's no need to invent spanish wax as to say, just look around what works in other shooters like this one. Or release a map making tool so we can fix it for you maybe?

#1139 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 21 December 2022 - 07:34 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 06 November 2022 - 09:18 AM, said:

Yes clan mechs need equal structure and armor to their direct IS equivlents like for example a ddire and kodiak should have the same armor as an Atlas since they all weigh 100 tons.

The problem with this clan having less armor thing is clan mechs aren't just facing Inner sphere mechs but also clan mechs with the same high damage weapons yet only inner sphere mechs get more armor to compensate for the increased damage clan weapons get?

And i agree about the CERPPC but i also think the IS ERPPC needs changed I think they should be changed to tabletop the Is ERPPC is too cold.

Both should do 15 heat but the IS one should do only 10 damage and the CERPPC should do 15 damage for the same 15 heat and remove ghost heat from them and make it like 5 I mean the Warhawk Prime has 4 and i have to chainfire them, what happens if some noob tries a trail warhawk prime???

THe other problem is that clan ATMs have a 120m minimium range i propose 2 fixes. #1.just give them 0 minimium IS have MRms at larger tube counts that make ATM's almost uselss restoring the 3 damage could help too #2 do what PGI Did with the clan LBX and seperate them ATM HE does 3 damage has no minimum range and only goes out to MRM range at most maybe dropping to 2.5 or less as it goes further out
ER ATM 120m range minimium 1100 max range 1.5 damage.

And restore clan streak damage back to 2 I already didn't use streaks and making them do less damage has made them totally useless to me now.

The other problem is the IS has sooo many weapons that can kill you now it's almost suicidal; now to run clans RACs HEavy PPC heavy guass light guass light ppc These all need FAIRLy balanced.... for example RACs really need to jam faster.... and All PPCs except snubs and ERPPC need that minimium range which was removed for what reason other than [Ride of the Valkeires music plays]iNERF THE CLANS NERF THE CLANS NERF THE CLAAANS!!!

AND FOR THE LOVE OF KERENSKY SCALE BACK THE RANGE CREEP InnerSphere is GETTING!! LET CLAN HAVE THEIR DAMN RANGE!!!

well i said once at reddit that maybe pushing the game timeline to ilkhan era and FINALLY having both sides having all weaponry with ups and downs could work

but reddit being a hivemind sperged out of this mere idea.

#1140 Kieva

• PipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 01:48 PM

Alright, so I've been playing this game since closed beta, and I have a LOT of stray thoughts about things in their CURRENT format.

The long and the short, is right now, the balance is TERRIBLE. First off, there are a lot of mechs out there that can be geared towards an Alpha strike "One shot kill" on medium and heavy mechs, In particular, it seems more common for IS mechs to be able to pull his off on Clan Mechs - it's the only case where I've seen this regularly happen. I get that it's scary that someone can pull off a 'Dire Star' build with some clan mechs, and just 1-shot from superior range, but I haven't seen that at all in a year.

What I do see is this: RAC mechs, that can just spray bullets for an entire minute of suppressive fire. Heavy Gauss Fafnirs can just face tank half a team for a free kill, and significant damage to 1 or 2 other mechs. If they get the team to follow this rush, it's a guaranteed 2 kills for the Fafnir alone. My Warhammers can absorb up to 1k damage like it's nothing, while doling out 600 to 800 damage, unless I'm on a 50% decent team, in which case my 3LPL 5SL variant has done up to 1.5k, even with stretches of being 'tank'.

Meanwhile my Timberwolf and Ebon Jaguar mechs drop before 600 damage taken, on the regular. I don't actually run clan heavies anymore if I want to 'tier up', because of how unplayable I find most of them. Mobility is great, but in the current meta, nobody plays light/fast mechs, because with net speed, framerate improvements, and ability to manipulate the game settings one way or another, everyone can leg or core these things in no time, unless they're a Flea with stealth armor, or an Incubus for whatever reason (I don't actually know).

There's quite frankly, not a lot of fun to be had if you're an old school Battletech player, and you like the older chassis (unless they're Star League mechs).

So here's a few things I 'think' would balance this crap out.

1: RACs generate 1 more heat per projectile fired.
2: Clan ERPPC: Eliminate the 'splash' damage. IS has Heavy PPC's, and Light PPCs. Clan didn't get any of that.
3: Either do away with armor/structure quirks entirely, and lore-base all mechs on their armor and structure, or add armor/structure quirks to all Clan Heavies to make them not be more brittle than a Centurion. (Sorry PGI, but your allegiances are showing on this one)
4: Add Inferno missiles to the game, particularly for Clan mech access. IS mechs only ever overheat if someone turns on their overrides, and goes HAM. Even then, most of the time those mechs have structure damage reduction anyway.
5: Light Mechs (ALL of them besides the Flea) need a size scale adjustment. They're really dang easy to hit. Nobody plays them because they all get legged really fast.
6: Medium Mechs get almost no play either, unless they're a Centurion, Hunchback, Bushwhacker, or MAYBE a Nova. The Nova can be explained away by good crit slots, giving them very easily achieved "niche" roles, the Centurion can out-tank every Clan Heavy, and the Hunchback can do the same because of its DPS with that loaded up right side, plus armor/structure quirking, and bad hit-boxes. Many medium mechs are the size of heavy mechs, and should be scaled down in size to address ease of hitting (Shadow Cats come to mind), and armor quirks should be removed from tankier builds, while allowing the mechs to benefit from being faster.
7: Remove the minimum range from Light and Heavy PPC's. The extra tonnage cost of Heavies, and the significantly lower damage of Light PPC's feel justification enough for this change.
8: Remove the charge time on normal Gauss Rifles: Look, this was added to nerf pop-tarting, and fact of the matter is, you could still do it EASY with PPC mechs, and yet nobody does it, because accuracy is lowered while jumping - just make it so that accuracy loss remains during falls - if it matters THAT much.
9: Increase the range of ECM's shielding on mechs that are 'meant' to have it, so they cover team mates at a further distance.
10: Matchmaker is a joke. I have been playing teh game for a long time. Most people consider me at least 'good' at the game. I can usually take a 12 man pug match, and organize it, I know strategy, tactics, and I can definitely hit my targets, torso twist, use cover, and generally stay alive. To that end, I shouldn't be regularly dealing 500+ damage, and going on 20+ game losing streaks. The matchmaking sucks, and should be coded to make a better effort of not pairing up 3 teams of against 12 lone wolves, or pitting people that 'trend' in the losing direction, against people who 'trend' in a winning direction.
These may all be opinion based, but there are a lot of mechs in my own garage that I legitimately just never play, because they just get cored out the moment the CT is visible, at this point, with the power creep in the game, it kind of feels like a lot of those mechs are either just too easy to hit, too easy to core, or the ease of stacking a 100 point alpha is just too high.

Edited by Kieva, 25 December 2022 - 02:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users