#941 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostMole, on 08 March 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

I remember when PSR got introduced it threw me into Tier 4 for no apparent reason and some of the players in my unit who are roughly of the same skill level as me into tier 1. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to what PSR you got initially assigned. I climbed right out of Tier 4, then promptly climbed right out of Tier 3, and now I'm climbing out of Tier 2. I don't want to act like I'm hot **** but I clearly belong in Tier 1. The point of this little rant; PSR is whack.

Your initial tier was calculated off the the combined average from up to a year of your game history. The score of all your games divided by the number of games gave you your starting tier. Didn't make sense to take that large of a sampling but that's what they did. That decision artificially deflated a lot of peoples tiers only to wreak havoc with the system while it corrected it self. It was a stupid thing to do, taking the last 200 games would have been a more accurate reflection of your current skill level.

#942 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:27 AM

View PostBiclor Moban, on 20 March 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

Your initial tier was calculated off the the combined average from up to a year of your game history. The score of all your games divided by the number of games gave you your starting tier. Didn't make sense to take that large of a sampling but that's what they did. That decision artificially deflated a lot of peoples tiers only to wreak havoc with the system while it corrected it self. It was a stupid thing to do, taking the last 200 games would have been a more accurate reflection of your current skill level.

If thats the case it wont of helped light pilots that much as much of the match score is based on damage output and kills which is a bit wrong really (but thats a different story) anyway a skilled light pilot can contribute a lot to a team and their success and it takes more experience and skill to pilot a light mech better than the heavier stuff. They can be just as lethal sometimes more than the heavies but the fact remains their damage output is usually low but their accuracy typically high. BUT the match score doesn't reflect this properly so they end up getting dumped in a low tier to then have to climb out of it.

What it basically boils down to is the psr is a shallow representation of who drives the biggest meta mechs. Now when i drive clan mechs its easy to have a big damage output but not exactly take much skill to do so. So the system is skewed from the outset. Now take your timberwolf/ cauldron born pilot at pop him in a locust or commando and see how much he contributes to the team and what his end game score will be and there you'll see the problem.

#943 scgt1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 291 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArlington, TX

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

Come on something has to be done with this crap fest. Can no longer buddy up with a friend or two and team drop without constant rolls. MM IS BROKEN!!! It has been for at least 2 months. Groups we never dropped with/against are now constant SWOL, MS, HHOD etc. All the higher ranked groups. We need to have a choice of what tier range to play in because it's not what it used to be. It isn't just +- 1 tier anymore. I've been stuck at the same tier rating since this tier crap started yet my kdr has been knocked in half since the start of it. Not that anyone pays attention to KDR but it goes to show something isn't right with this tier system. Sure the high tier guys vote with the current arrangement because they are constantly winning which improves their tier rating. Many of us can't even get an edge in.

What about locking people in tier ratings. Tier 1 vs tier 1 etc. Then when they hit the end of that tier scale they advance to the next. Or allowing us to select which tier we want to play in. As it is PGI is allowing anyone to play with everyone which is apparent with the large groups always being with lower tier players and rolling theme. What satisfaction is there to constantly destroy the opposing team? I prefer a knock down drag out battle that goes to the final minutes 1 v 1 or a couple vs a couple. When it's 1v12 3v12 a few minutes into a match that is just bs.

A big problem that doesn't help is when you get teamed with a larger known higher tier group non of those guys know how to use the in game com. They just communicate between each other and screw the fill in players. I'm quite sure it's by choice that they don't use the in game com but it leaves the rest of the team not knowing what is going on. That or the larger groups just take off and leave the fill in players behind which leaves them cut off from the rest of the team meaning an easy walk over a lance of 4 with 8+ of the opposing team.

The game was fun prior to Tiers being put in. The games were half way even through a night of playing. Now you can find yourself lucky to survive a match and win. Tonight 15 games 1 win. Last night 3 wins off the bat then next 19-20 were all stomps. I don't think pgi cares to do anything about it either. It seems there is catering to the large groups going on or something would have been done about this by now. I've been reading posts like this for quite a while yet here we are nothing has changed.

I think people need to start taking screen shots of the end of round screens and just spamming the forum and support. Maybe they will listen then and be proactive with adjustments instead of retroactive.

#944 Revengex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

I say we reduce the game to a third person, turn based game. Problem solved.

#945 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:01 AM

Just one thing to say after event weekend. PSR is defintily not working as MM. Most matches were one sides stomps.

#946 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

View PostRevengex, on 22 March 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

HA!

#947 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

This is the kind of thing that pisses us off about the way we advance, or don't in the tier system.

I tried to get a screen shot but it when I viewed it it was a blank black screen, love windows 10.

Found it

Posted Image

or this

Posted Image
Posted Image
an = seriously.

Edited by Biclor Moban, 03 April 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#948 S_T_R_A_N_G_E

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:20 AM

I see a hybrid system being implemented:

- 1 to 6 man group
- 7 to 9 man group
- 10 to 12 man group

Since most players PUG in small groups or solo queue, the "1 to 6" option is most versatile. This lets any number of smaller teams get into queue. No restrictions are placed.

Once a group his 7 to 9 players it will only be matched in queue with other teams of 7-9 man groups. The same happens for 10-12 man groups. This way only teams play other teams.

The MM system would prioritize tier levels of the group players against each other. After 2 minutes of search, the tier matchmaking opens up to other groups. After 4 minutes any available teams will be matched first come first serve.

What this system does is loosen the hard lines of having exactly a certain man limit like 4 or 12. Any team of any size can be created, however... those groups over 6 people know they will end up playing other organized teams of about the same size. They also know that wait times will be affected.

Groups are still held to weight limits as current or similar to help those dropping solo or in smaller teams.

Wait times or total types of groups could be displayed in a dialog to show people approx wait times.

Yes in open queue full 12 man groups are rare, but groups of 6 to 8 are pretty common and can have a large impact on the game. Once 6 mechs start rolling the disparate PUGS tend to fall inline more often. It's much harder for a team of 2-3 to start rolling in.

Overall I see this being less restrictive and having less flaws than some of the other suggestions being offered. It seems like, for a small wait exchange, the deathball rolling or coordinated nipping would be greatly reduced. No group size is marginalized meaning that the 5th player or a group of 11 can still roll.

Edited by Locke2, 24 March 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#949 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

currently the matchmaker has to find compromise between doing two things
matching tonnage
matching player skill

just separate the two, let matchmaker only match the player skill (the ranking system should be good, just the match score needs to be reworked) and let the tonnage be handled in match (http://mwomercs.com/...-mode-proposal/)

#950 Avathar

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

I am gettin increasingly frustrated with match making.
1) it takes forever to find a match, i dont search on the oceanic servers. but i just played a match that took minutes to get into and we had about a quarter of players with pings above 200. 1 guy had a ping of 800......

2) i am not the best player. BUT nearing the end of tier 4 (near tier 3) i had hoped for better team mates. that know what they are doing.. this has been so for a while. but it seems something has changed with matchmaking. it often feels as if i get into teams with people WHO DONT KNOW WHAT A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ARE (and this is me being extrememely nice about them)

these two things combined are making me not want to play more and more. please fix it, or you will find me play some other game. (and i will then ask for a refund for the kodiak pack i bought, since well im not going to play it obviously)

#951 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

View PostAvathar, on 03 April 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

I am gettin increasingly frustrated with match making.
1) it takes forever to find a match, i dont search on the oceanic servers. but i just played a match that took minutes to get into and we had about a quarter of players with pings above 200. 1 guy had a ping of 800......

2) i am not the best player. BUT nearing the end of tier 4 (near tier 3) i had hoped for better team mates. that know what they are doing.. this has been so for a while. but it seems something has changed with matchmaking. it often feels as if i get into teams with people WHO DONT KNOW WHAT A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ARE (and this is me being extrememely nice about them)

these two things combined are making me not want to play more and more. please fix it, or you will find me play some other game. (and i will then ask for a refund for the kodiak pack i bought, since well im not going to play it obviously)

Are you running Heavies? I run mediums because of wait times back in 2013-14 5-10min and after the player pop came up I can't give them up. I rarely wait a minute now, most often less than 20 seconds.

Edited by Biclor Moban, 03 April 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#952 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:27 AM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 23 March 2016 - 02:01 AM, said:

Just one thing to say after event weekend. PSR is defintily not working as MM. Most matches were one sides stomps.

Match quality in the solo queue has been going down for me lately. It started with the event and just keeps plummeting. I can't quite explain it, but it seems there's two problems:
- unbalanced teams in terms of tiers - this has to do with the way the MM works
- pilots not doing anything to help the team, hanging back behind cover, not pushing when told to, or when given the opportunity - this has to do with bad piloting

What pisses me off the most is that leveling up mechs in the solo queue has become a chore. If I'm not taking optimized builds or builds that I'm very familiar with, I get stomped. And taking a build I run well into the solo queue gives me more chances, but the team will still start the nascar leaving me behind to face red's Charlie, or they will just scatter and leave me alone the moment an enemy Atlas pushes in. I don't understand why people are so scared of losing their mech, or why it is so hard to grasp the fact that you do more damage and get more money if you just stick with your team and push into the enemy.

I'm done with the solo queue for now, I'm only playing group or CW. I don't have the RL time to waste on getting frustrated about the team I'm matched with.

#953 LordSkyKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 194 posts
  • LocationPLACES!!!

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostRevengex, on 22 March 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

Probably not, actually. There would still be players that are better than other players. And people would lose. And then complain on the forums that they lost at a PvP game. And find things to blame for why they lost.

And PSR would still make crappy matches. And PGI would still make more excuses as to why a zero sum system is hard/ not usable. And everyone who can do math would still point and laugh.

#954 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

Honestly, I think Psr/MM is working pretty good, and solo que is spot on...

But if any changes need to be made, maybe increase search timer for group que to find better matches for closer tiered players? Maybe by 30 seconds? (I think its fine as is... But apparently other people find it as a problem)

#955 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:29 PM

Sorry going to have to say the opposite. Seems like the last couple weeks or so in the public queue lopsided/stomps are on the rise.

I play 99% in public queue and "feels" like something has changed with MM recently. I'm at like maybe about 98% near the top end of Tier 2 and wins have gotten harder and harder to come by lately it seems. I've kind of begun hoping to get out of Tier 2 into Tier 1 just so I don't have to play with Tier 5 anymore. But yeah, seems like one sided affairs that are stomps have been more frequent lately.

#956 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

Im happy that MM is not like it was 2 years ago. Its far better now. It will always need monitoring and adjusting but Im good with the current MM process / results.

#957 Solarise

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:38 AM

Tier 1 matchmaking takes too long to start a game something is wrong....Posted Image

#958 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

This is a conversation that sprung up, and probably should be linked to this.

here

#959 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

P.S.R does not work, even bad players are gaining tier.

Needs an overhaul, needs splitting up into weight categories again, and most importantly and the easiest fix of all change it so it has a neutral bias.

#960 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users