Viridian Bog--Pugs Please Stop...

38 replies to this topic

#21 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Don't forget about the 1-2 assault mechs per game that always spawn in C6, are afk for the first 30 seconds and then try to come through C5/C4 trying to catch up, get focus fired by the other team and then blow up in seconds.

No seriously, look at the mechs in C6 on OP's and Orbit Rain's pictures. Always. Happens. I mean people complain about stomps, well when half your GD assault lance is alt+tab'd out or waiting for their game to load because their computer is a potato, it's going to be an uphill battle (pun intended)

Edited by saKhan Ds00 Kerensky, 03 September 2015 - 07:41 PM.

#22 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

I have noticed an alarming trend on Viridian Bog. See if you can spot it.

Do you see it?

Concentrate.

It all becomes clear. Look again! Let the red words guide you!

Do you see it now? Yes! YES!!!!!!!!

I have noticed an alarming trend of bad players scrambling to the edge of the map and then snake around the longest way possible to avoid danger. This is the smell of fear. This is a cloud... of fear. Fear in MWO gets you killed!

Do not do this! Do not go out of your way to avoid danger! There is no strategy to this other than death! Team after team I see dies when they do this. This is the path to Hell, not Valhalla.

actually i like that path when presented the option of taking it. It allows for some nice flanking options especially for a fast lance that can take advantage of it. unfortunately to many times the rest of team holes up some place and dose not take advantage of the fact that one or 2 lances of the enemy is actively being harassed by fast flankers.

Edited by nitra, 03 September 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#23 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

Ultimately, players need to get better at using the terrain and the map. Lots of options everywhere beyond "letz go an standz in teh middul fur pewpew"

#24 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

The east spawn team, 95% of the time will hide at B4 bordermap. EVERY time the same story... i ask to rush and take C4 D4 central hill top, sometimes they listen, we intercept enemies flanking D5, the rest of the reds usually then stops under D4, gets poked from above, eventually shot from the rest of my team going round D3 and its a win.

This also works if you have enough mechs on top D4 C4 and some cover from C4 B4 top.

Instead if all of my team goes B4 B3, is just usually fail because the team just sits on B4 top as rounding down B3 C3 from there takes too much time. and the reds will have already eaten slow assaults near B4 B5. Popular fail gameplay in EU.. that's proven.

The only case where a B4 B3 position will be good, it's when the west spawn reds go under C3 B3.

#25 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:42 AM

Ok, I must admit I have often engaged in the right wall crawl...

So I ask you now... HOW would you have us do it?

Lay out a strategy, and include slow assaults into your grand battle tactic...

#26 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:55 AM

I'd say it might be another form of "Chase the Dorito" syndrome. That lane is a good lane for fast lights to flank around from. Unfortunately, A little blue Dorito follows the fast buggers around. Until a red Dorito pops up, seems a lot of pilots will just follow whichever Dorito is in front.

Edited by Dracol, 04 September 2015 - 03:55 AM.

#27 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:56 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 03 September 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

I have noticed an alarming trend on Viridian Bog. See if you can spot it.

Posted Image

Do you see it?

Concentrate.

Posted Image

It all becomes clear. Look again! Let the red words guide you!

Posted Image

Do you see it now? Yes! YES!!!!!!!!

I have noticed an alarming trend of bad players scrambling to the edge of the map and then snake around the longest way possible to avoid danger. This is the smell of fear. This is a cloud... of fear. Fear in MWO gets you killed!

Do not do this! Do not go out of your way to avoid danger! There is no strategy to this other than death! Team after team I see dies when they do this. This is the path to Hell, not Valhalla.

You may be right, but you don't provide ANY argument WHY it is bad.

Also, you don't understand the term "strategy" if you write sentences like "There is no strategy to this other than death".
You probably mean "There is no other end/consequence/effect/gain to this other than death".

So far, your post makes a pretty incompetent and arbitrary impression.
Like a new player who got stomped three times in a row and assumed the first pattern he recogonized to be the cause.

tl;dr: please elaborate.

#28 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:58 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 04 September 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

Ok, I must admit I have often engaged in the right wall crawl...

So I ask you now... HOW would you have us do it?

Lay out a strategy, and include slow assaults into your grand battle tactic...

Turn left at C4.Control the C4/D4 Stairs. Get snipers on C3/B4 hill to watch for a DBall push from D4.

#29 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:04 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 03 September 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

stuff

You should know why this happens.
Not fear, but an amazing sneaky flanking maneuver. Of course a flanking maneuver must be done by 80% of the team in puglandia! :D
Enemy will never understand what is happening!

#30 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:56 AM

I see no problem with that. Won a lot of great matches with that strategy. The only problem is it becoming a known tactic. That's when you gotta change it up and you have to have the instinct to do that.

I love that map, it's a challenge on it's own. Just put it into perspective. I call it (and no insult intended to those who were actually there) Vietbog.

#31 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

View PostPaigan, on 04 September 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

Also, you don't understand the term "strategy" if you write sentences like "There is no strategy to this other than death".
You probably mean "There is no other end/consequence/effect/gain to this other than death".

Like a new player who got stomped three times in a row and assumed the first pattern he recogonized to be the cause.

I would encourage all pugs to continue to hump that B line. My KDR and win/loss ratio thanks you in advance.

Edited by VorpalAnvil, 10 September 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#32 Relek Nom

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

Only got mashed on this last night.I was in my shadowcat and decided to shadow a dire wolf as support. We stayed at c6 while the rest of the team bum rushed as the OP pointed out.

They then proceeded to all chase after lone mech to be the first to get the kill. As expected they got slaughtered. After about 3-4 minutes all that was left was the dire wolf a firestarter and me.

The FS was causing chaos on our right while the DW drew all the heavy fire. The DW went down so all eyes focused on me so I went to support the FS. We lasted maybe 60 seconds longer.

I keep seeing this. Glory hunting for kills and ultimately loosing the match

#33 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 03 September 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Yep. My goal is to get to the opposite and fight in either E2 or C7. No place else on the map has as much value to fight over as those two spots.

Holding the C4/D4 high ground in mid is where you want to be going off the bat. That way you have not only sight line advantages, but you're holding the middle of the map rather than conceding it to OpFor right off the drop. Get a UAV up, see what side the enemy is on, push their **** in from the flank.

#34 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

View PostPaigan, on 04 September 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

PUGs require simplicity. Daniel-San did not know why, he practiced technique. Good technique is key to developing success.

Okay, jokes aside, moving all the way to the edge of the map and snaking along it is the slowest route to battle. Viridian is a simple, dumb map. The battle flow on Bog is controlled by the central area with the central tower.

If you go the slow route, you give up the high ground and advantageous position to the other team.

Oftentimes what happens is the PUGs will snake around the slow lane but fail to realize their assaults are usually on the other side of the map and have to cross multiple enemy firing lanes to get to that snaking wall. By the time the assaults make it, the enemy has typically encircled the entire wall-side team, front and back and the death glove has been established. Unable to go forwards or backwards, they hare shot from both directions and die.

Narrow passageways are bad. You are unable to concentrate twelve 'mechs firepower on either end of the passage from within. This is why going through long choke points is a bad thing.

The enemy on either end can easily fire six to twelve 'mechs into it without any issue while those inside return fire with two or three.

The result is obvious--the team on the wall lane dies.

Remember:

1. Take the shortest route possible to the most advantageous position.

2. Do not **** around. Do not form up with all the other guys in the back BEFORE moving out.

3. Move out right away, press the center of the map or wherever it is that is best spot and deny the enemy access to it.

Long way is bad way. I thought this was obvious but I refuse to turn this into a dissertation.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 04 September 2015 - 06:22 AM.

#35 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

shhh if your tactics catch on I wont be able to rush to B4/B5 to **** the fat kids

apparently it bleeps out a four letter word that rhymes with grape

Edited by Fuggles, 04 September 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#36 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:03 AM

The problem is this.
Posted Image

#37 Percimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, it's been like this for months. Never understood why people went there.

The amount of roots in that area is too damn high!

Edited by Percimes, 04 September 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#38 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

Nice thing about PUG play is that often, not always, us PUG's are willing to listen and will try anything.
So hopefully all of you getting uppity in this thread suggest where to go when in a match.

Edited by CygnusX7, 04 September 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#39 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:25 AM

From that side of the map, the team should be making a straight dash for the high ground in the middle.

Having both ramps to the central high ground be on the one side is rather boneheaded from a map design standpoint.

One or two light mechs or fast flankers are OK to take the wall to C3 then up to the hill, but the group in general should be pressing that middle mountain. Mostly to scout that side in the beginning. With JJ they can easily jump across the trees to the middle high ground to rejoin the main force.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users