I Only Now Realized Executioners Have 8 Tons Of Hard Locked Jump Jets In Its Legs

32 replies to this topic

#1 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

On a scale from 1-10, how slow am I?

Now when I see an Executioner I'll imagine its pilot scowling at having 8 tons of hard locked jump jets in their legs. I'll envision them holding a grudge and refusing to ever use their jump jets in some fit of the boycott is real, what would jesus do'ism. Images of themselves crying to sleep every night shaking their fist at the sky wondering whyyyy they can't have removable equipment like those OP inner sphere freebirths do. Oh, cruel world.

Why do EXE pilots never use their jump jets? Not even to turn in brawls? I've never seen an EXE pilot use jump jets. I didn't know they could mount jump jets until I looked at smurfy 5 minutes ago.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

They generate heat

They're HoverJets™

#3 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 03 September 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

They generate heat

They're HoverJets™

Really? I didn't realize highlander/victor jump jet nerfs were claiming new victims. Now everyone can share in our misery, I s'pose. :lol:

#4 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

I used Jump jets in my Executioner once. If you're really lucky, you'll get enough height to clear a car, truck, or maybe a guardrail. Of course, the heat generated by it means you can't fire the Laser Vomit for ten seconds. And as for turning. MASC does that better. If I could strip the Jumpjets out for weapons and/or heatsinks/ammo, I would enjoy the Exe much more. MASC works well in it though.

View PostI Zeratul I, on 03 September 2015 - 06:07 PM, said:

Really? I didn't realize highlander/victor jump jet nerfs were claiming new victims. Now everyone can share in our misery, I s'pose. :lol:

Ah, a fellow Lowlander pilot. Yes, the Executioner suffers from Highlander syndrome. It's why my 733C hasn't left the hangar in months.

#5 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:32 PM

Also, Ferro but no Endo.

But yet, if jump jets were actually good you would actually ALWAYS want to keep that 8 tons of jets on them!

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 03 September 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#6 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

To some degree, I find the jump jet nerfs to the largest class of JJs (class 1) have been overstated. With six tons in my DWF-S, I honestly don't have a problem with the amount of thrust they generate. It's enough to clear obstacles, and it sometimes gives me the edge in fights. They get me to places that people do not expect a Direwolf to be in. I think a lot of the people who mind the most are the ones who used a lot of Highlanders when they were unquestionably the best mech in the game.

But as to why you don't see pilots using JJs in combat is because they generate heat, and a lot of it. There's no point to turning with them in combat because it means you're not cooling down between shots, which is suicide.

It's not so bad if you only have a single JJ, but the more you have the more heat it generates, and the EXE has the maximum possible number of jets, so it heats up a lot when burning.

#7 Hatachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 456 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

I still stand by the thread in my signature. Make jumping extremely fast, where aiming while jumping is hard, with forward movement built in. Jumping mechs have such potential to be out of the corner strikers. I just wished we could push it as a positional tool so much more.

#8 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

I'm getting tired of these Class I JJ threads.... Long story short, they are still useful and EXE can reach those rooftops of the multistory buildings in the new River City.

#9 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

I like my execute.

It's fun to run with it, and swing around so fast to smash that little light that hit your rear armor.

Spider: Huhuhuhu, going to eat some rear torso cookies

*shoots 3 mediums into Executioner's back*

*Executioner uses MASC to turn quickly*

Executioner: Gunna squash me a pesky spider! *Raises LBX AC-20 at Spider*

Spider: *Gulp*

#10 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

they are often used to offset low slung arm hardpoints as a limited for of poptarting

#11 Wyest

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

View PostHatachi, on 03 September 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

I still stand by the thread in my signature.

Ugh... I need to read dates better. Otherwise, I agree with the ideas in that thread, even if I did just necro it for another round after a year...

View PostHit the Deck, on 03 September 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

Long story short, they are still useful and EXE can reach those rooftops of the multistory buildings in the new River City.

Yes and no. It's still not worth bringing as many as the EXE has, and you don't WANT to be on those rooftops as a giant target like the EXE is.

#12 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

I use them to soften my lancing every now and then..... could go with 6 tons less tho.

#13 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Dat Aassss is still a very competent assault mech. Hurts a bit to see such tonnage wasted, especially when most clan assaults are a bit underwhelming because of locked components, but overall I'm happy with the cutie.

Edited by Kyocera, 03 September 2015 - 07:38 PM.

#14 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

Got a good laugh out of your thoughts of what Exe pilots are thinking in the cockpit.

I rarely use the jump jets, usually I'll do it to get over small ridges or barriers when moving to a position, in battle I just go with MASC. Sometimes... late at night... I wonder "What If I had the tonnage for dual UAC10s, or UAC20s even... at least just triple UAC5" then I resign to forever needing to use either laser vomit or only a single heavy ballistic paired with a pulse laser arm...

I'm going to go dry my pillows.

#15 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 03 September 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

Sometimes... late at night... I wonder "What If I had the tonnage for dual UAC10s, or UAC20s even... at least just triple UAC5"

triple uac 5 need more tonnage than double uac 10 both by cannons weight (21 vs 20) and by ammo

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

True, but they are lighter than the AC20s I mentioned right before them.

Edited by Dakota1000, 03 September 2015 - 08:14 PM.

#17 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostWyest, on 03 September 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Yes and no. It's still not worth bringing as many as the EXE has, and you don't WANT to be on those rooftops as a giant target like the EXE is.

Just to illustrate what it's capable of. Four JJs on a 95 tonner allow you to do many things in the game, e.g.: leaping onto the top of the citadel in River City, clearing the ravine in one jump in Canyon Network, or reaching those high levels in the Mining Collective.

And for the others: don't ask for sameness (a.k.a. I'd like to be able to mount moar gunz!) in our already role-starved-game. Keep asking PGI to improve the JJs if you are not satisfied with them.

#18 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

The jump jets do very little to help the EXE in any way. MASC works better. If I could I would throw them out for extra tonnage until PGI finally gets them right someday in the very far future

#19 Wyest

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 03 September 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

Just to illustrate what it's capable of. Four JJs on a 95 tonner allow you to do many things in the game, e.g.

Just because you can do something, doesn't make it a good idea. Especially true in a mech with giant hitboxes that doesn't carry ECM. All jumping up high in an Executioner does is make you a perfect target for anyone on the other team with PPFLD weapons and a working pair of eyes.

#20 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:18 PM

Jump jetting assaults bug me so much. If they really wanted to stop people from pop-tarting, why not just disable weapons while you're in the air? Make the reticle shake while you're falling too?

Making jump jets completely anemic on assaults is just the worst decision they could make considering they're almost always described as imparting great mobility in source material- TROs, TT or novels.

Rationally it doesn't even make sense that there is such profoundly worse performance. You can increase the chassis weight by 2.5x, but mount 5x greater tonnage in jump jets, and still only result in nearly the exact same jump distance.

Instead of making jump jets a satisfying game mechanic that expands the ways a player can move about the map, they've made them so gamey it makes my skin crawl. Like I'm supposed to ignore that my Highlander is sliding up a cliff rather than having real vertical mobility?

All to save a now gutted version of a tactic that really isn't interesting or precedented anyways. Instead of mounting a full suite because they can completely change how you play Mining Collective, you just mount one to lift your fat ass over knee high embankments or bring up a weapon that logically should be able to be raised to shoulder height in mechs with articulated elbows.

Live footage of a Highlander:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users