#21 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostKhobai, on 04 September 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

because assaults should have worse jumpjets than other weight classes.

Why?

#22 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

Thrust on class 1 happened it was class 2 they ignored, to scared that Victors might become viable Jump snipers again, and break the game...

#23 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Seems a little arbitrary to me. Even if the assaults jumped a little higher, they would still have nowhere near the mobility/agility of lights and mediums. If you look a the Highlander, with its dismal engine cap, being able to jump 5-10 m higher with 4 JJs, isn't going to make it as agile as a Stormcrow or Shadow Hawk all of a sudden.

#24 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

I remember Paul once said that jump jets aren't supposed to make your mech fly.

#25 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

I remember Paul once said that jump jets aren't supposed to make your mech fly.

exactly.

Seems a little arbitrary to me. Even if the assaults jumped a little higher, they would still have nowhere near the mobility/agility of lights and mediums.

Um what do you think increasing the thrust but lowering the fuel does? It lets them jump higher. But it doesnt let them fly through the air.

If you look a the Highlander, with its dismal engine cap, being able to jump 5-10 m higher with 4 JJs, isn't going to make it as agile as a Stormcrow or Shadow Hawk all of a sudden.

increasing the thrust WOULD make it jump 5m-10m higher. thats the whole point of increasing the thrust.

lowering the fuel just makes it so you can fly across long horizontal distances. assaults shouldnt be able to fly thats silly lol.

Edited by Khobai, 04 September 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#26 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hoverjets™ is a legacy feature.

The more Hoverjets™ you put on an Assault.. the more you are reminded how much it sucks.

Sorry Heavy Metal.

#27 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 September 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

because assaults should have worse jumpjets than other weight classes.

but they should have worse fuel not worse thrust

Would I go into space in a Saturn 5 rocket, or a firework, now which is biggest and has more thrust and carries more fuel

Jumps jets Suck in this version of the Franchise because PGI want them to suck, there isn't a logical technical reason, and trying to bring physic's into it will always fail

Edited by Cathy, 04 September 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#28 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

Jump jets are ruined on assaults. I wish I could take 4 JJs off my EXE and fit more weapons.

#29 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 04 September 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Whats wrong with increasing thrust and leaving fuel where it is?

As far as im concerned my Assaults dont have enough of either (thrust or fuel) to make JJ's worth while on anything.

Unless they are locked like 8 tons on this mech id like to make builds with i will not be using them on Assaults any time soon.

Edited by DarthRevis, 04 September 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#30 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 September 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

Um what do you think increasing the thrust but lowering the fuel does? It lets them jump higher. But it doesnt let them fly through the air.
increasing the thrust WOULD make it jump 5m-10m higher. thats the whole point of increasing the thrust.

It shouldn't work like that if the write the code to get the physics right. Fuel equals to energy which is spent when you want to move (jump) to a certain height (it equals to the potential energy at this point in the air = m*g*h). In short, lowering the fuel would always mean less height regardless of the thrust.

#31 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

Would I go into space in a Saturn 5 rocket, or a firework, now which is biggest and has more thrust and carries more fuel

this is a game. not real life. rules of real life do not apply to games. games have their own rules which are based on what makes the game fair. A games rules are not based on realism.

As far as MWO is concerned, having assault mechs that fly around, would be silly. Since the major balancing factor of assault mechs is lack of mobility. You people seem to want dire wolves flying around the map like Spiders. Thats ridiculous.

The purpose of jumpjets is to be able to jump over obstacles and up cliffs/platforms. So thats the extent of what jumpjets should do for assault mechs. It should let them do that but not much more than that. So in order to get assault jumpjets to that point they need a bit more thrust and a little less fuel.

Overall this would be a buff to class I jumpjets. I dont see the problem with that.

Edited by Khobai, 04 September 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#32 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 September 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

this is a game. not real life. rules of real life do not apply to games. games have their own rules which are based on what makes the game fair. A games rules are not based on realism.

As far as MWO is concerned, having assault mechs that fly around, would be silly. Since the major balancing factor of assault mechs is lack of mobility. You people seem to want dire wolves flying around the map like Spiders. Thats ridiculous.

The purpose of jumpjets is to be able to jump over obstacles and up cliffs/platforms. So thats the extent of what jumpjets should do for assault mechs. It should let them do that but not much more than that. So in order to get assault jumpjets to that point they need a bit more thrust and a little less fuel.

Overall this would be a buff to class I jumpjets. I dont see the problem with that.

No one really wants Assault mechs to fly around like a Mist Lynx. But what we have now is a joke. Both the thrust and max altitude with 8 tons of Jump Jets just isn't where it should be yet.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users