57 replies to this topic

#41 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

I hope not. If the game isn't in excellent shape with a new player system that doesn't give masochists a raging hard on and decent overall balance the negative steam reviews will permanently sink MWO.

#42 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 September 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

I dont think players from steam will mind so much is under construction at all. This is the landscape for players these days anyway with so many kick starters.

This is not an "early access" game. Steam reviewers will not be forgiving.

Edited by Deathlike, 04 September 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#43 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 04 September 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

Like everything else with this game recently, PGI is lagging behind. We're not likely going to see MWO on Steam until probably December or January.

Probably January since they'll be releasing all the new IIC mechs come December 15th. Why they can't release all their other mech packs on one of their patch days I'll never know.

I'd rather wait a little longer and get everything I paid for all at once, rather than get 2 mechs per month like we've been getting lately.

but I can't wait until dec/jan to farm new pugs :(

#44 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostElizander, on 04 September 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

I will see them and I will greet them with my club.

Wish I could hatchet...

#45 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

I am glad to see this moving forward, Russ. I was under the impression october was the scheduled launch on steam. To be honest we need this to go right and i see protecting new and unskilled players tantamount to its success. Without them you cant create any new bittervets. ;)

I know i have been a cantankerous old coot on you all but it is good to see you active here more often and you guys have been making some good decisions as of late and showing you are sensitive but not too sensitive to this collective conniption fit known as the mwo forums.

#46 2MyBalls

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBamberg

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:55 PM

Im not convinced that MWO needs to be PERFECT before Steam... there are no PERFECT games. There will be reballance patches and fixes also after Steam-release and IT IS OK. Thats totally normal.

Important is that the new player have a FLUID learning curve. It can be a steep learning curve, but it needs to be fluid.
- What I mean:
When I introduced myself to MWO first, (3months before) there was no real Tutorial, 25 cadet-matches = 2Win / 23Loss. No real helping how the mechbay-UI works.. etc. It was like hitting a brick wall with 50 Kmh. Fortunately I read a lot of guides before I jumped in.... it was still a solid brick wall.

A new player should have the chance to get better at the game. THIS is important. IF this part of MWO is ready, then its ready to go on Steam.

Peace out!

Edited by 2MyBalls, 04 September 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#47 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 04 September 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

This is not an "early access" game. Steam reviewers will not be forgiving.

Steam reviewers are used to much worse. They're also not extremely demanding and snobbish like many of PGI's biggest critics, and they haven't been taking the current game for granted for three years.

I suspect the reviews will land where they usually do for this game - 6/10. That's assuming, of course, that PGI doesn't take a year to flesh out the game like they should. New gamemodes, more maps, and combined arms.

#48 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:33 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 04 September 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Steam reviewers are used to much worse. They're also not extremely demanding and snobbish like many of PGI's biggest critics, and they haven't been taking the current game for granted for three years.

You don't want me to use the worst case example do you?

Mind you, there are plenty of mediocre games, but people can/will be unforgiving when they see "unpolished".

I suspect the reviews will land where they usually do for this game - 6/10. That's assuming, of course, that PGI doesn't take a year to flesh out the game like they should. New gamemodes, more maps, and combined arms.

I'm not even sure what their vision of "nearly finished" when there are some critical bugs that linger in this game as "features".

#49 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

I have a hard time seeing this on Steam. People will expect a game which is "feature complete".

With that said if PGI can put in enough work to make this a 7/10 game then real possibilities arise. That's the rub.

#50 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

Nice to get some information from RB.

I'm really hoping that they are not done with the New Player Experience. I hear that the new tutorials are an order of magnitude (or 2) better than the previous stuff so that's one hurdle that's been addressed.

I would still BEG that they consider not only letting the Cadet bonus exist for 25 games (or more) but on top of that they give the player a Mech of their choosing (not sure exactly how PGI would decide what to offer) at the end of it so they can start to spend their c-bills fixing it up and get invested in the game.

#51 HarlekinEO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 267 posts
  • Location36th Dieron Regulars

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostGrisbane, on 04 September 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

not looking forward to steam. MWO is hard on my system as is, the steam interface has always caused me issues. i wish when this launched to steam there was a "no steam needed" option

Huh? If Steam becomes a must to play this game, then I am out of this. I dont support this stupid system -> Customer patronization isnt wanted here. You might say, this is an online game anyway, but in this case i will be strict. Steam brought the worst for customers. Its stealing property.

#52 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostAccused, on 04 September 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

I have a hard time seeing this on Steam. People will expect a game which is "feature complete".

With that said if PGI can put in enough work to make this a 7/10 game then real possibilities arise. That's the rub.

I'd swear that 90% of games released on steam these days are early access titles. MWO should fit right in.

#53 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostBilbo, on 19 October 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

I'd swear that 90% of games released on steam these days are early access titles. MWO should fit right in.

Steam is the place where most early access games go to die.

#54 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostHarlekinEO, on 19 October 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Huh? If Steam becomes a must to play this game, then I am out of this. I dont support this stupid system -> Customer patronization isnt wanted here. You might say, this is an online game anyway, but in this case i will be strict. Steam brought the worst for customers. Its stealing property.

Huh?

You can download games by themselves NOT through STEAM even if they are on STEAM, i have many games i got directly from the websites and NOT steam but are also available through STEAM.

Hell, you can get MWO to show up in Steam stuff, like tell everyone on your friends list thats what you are playing, get the STEAM overlay to show up, etc. Just because it goes to STEAM doesn't mean its EXCLUSIVE to STEAM.

#55 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 04 September 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

Nice to get some information from RB.

I'm really hoping that they are not done with the New Player Experience. I hear that the new tutorials are an order of magnitude (or 2) better than the previous stuff so that's one hurdle that's been addressed.

I would still BEG that they consider not only letting the Cadet bonus exist for 25 games (or more) but on top of that they give the player a Mech of their choosing (not sure exactly how PGI would decide what to offer) at the end of it so they can start to spend their c-bills fixing it up and get invested in the game.

If PGI was smart, they would "GIVE AWAY A FREE MECH COUPON" to any and all who download the game AFTER the Steam release or a free mech to any who come through steam. Would be a great way to influx new players, Shortens the grind at first and give them a bone to keep them going.

BUt i agree Cadets should get a mech of their choosing once they finish the initial cadet period, should be a stock plane jane something or other and have 4 IS and 4 Clan Chassis to choose from (one of each weight class) as you STARTER mech.

Granted the IS has more options and may feel like you are forced to pick one PGI wants you to own but at least we could steer new player towards mechs that perform well out of the box.

#56 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 September 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

I don't think anyone here in the MWO forums will even notice the Steam release. We're all Tier 1 players. We won't even see the new guys.

I'll be sure to say hello to the new guys for you. My seal club is ready. :ph34r:

#57 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

Highly unlikely.

If they push for Steam right now, it will be as a cash grab only, the aftermath of which will kill this game.

They need to put it on Steam when its ready for it, which best case scenario is after the PTS balancing pass is done and given at least a month to get broken in and fine tuned.

Some time early February is a good bet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users