Mech Colours And Targeting

14 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:16 AM

Ive often wondered whether or not players allow the colours of opponents mech to influence their targetting priorities.

I tend to colour mine in drab colours so as to not stand out in the crowd, so to speak.

When you see an opponent how do you prioritise?

Are you the professional type that only goes after high priority targets no matter what you can see or are you like me and more likely to ignore that dull grey Direstar thats lining up on you because that bright green Mist Lynx Lurm boat just has to die?

#2 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

>When you see an opponent how do you prioritise?

if i can kill them fast or not...
i usually use heat vision so i dont even see their colors most of the time

my favorite color scheme it is food yellow with basic purple stripes :3

#3 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

I shoot at whatever is likely to die when I pull the trigger unless it is stripped of weapons. I can't imagine prioritizing a Myst Lynx over a Direwolf no matter their paint scheme.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:21 AM

I prioritize Whale/Jager/DRG-1N/BNC-3M etc. I prefer colorful camos to show off my mechs but during an event, I revert back to default camo to blend in.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

unless the color does not make it hard o spot, like gree mechs in the far under ecm on old forest colony, it never affected my choice.

#6 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

I like painting my mechs to stand out, it shows personality. But I always shoot at targets of opprotunity, paint scheme doesn't change that.

#7 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

I'd love to see someone actually do a private match to test the effect of camouflage in MWO. Do some screenshots of different colours and patterns at 200 meters, 500 meters, 1000 meters and 1500 meters.

In real life, you never want your camo to be brighter than your surroundings. But in MWO, every mech turns into a dark grey blob at about 300 meters on most maps. I'm kind of wondering if bright colours actually blend better with the terrain at a distance in MWO.

I'm in a kind of sad position, because all my mechs are completely white. Which makes me brighter than my surroundings on almost every map, except Alpine. But my Premium White mech still looks like a dark grey blob from a distance on Alpine, I think :(

I haven't really tested it tho. Someone should.

#8 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

When calling targets to focus fire, I'll use the color to designate who to fire on when I can't actually target because of ECM. "Fire on red Mech" or something to that effect.

Of course after every one has taken fire, color doesn't matter because of battle scarring.

#9 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:33 AM

At most medium to far distances it doesn't really matter the color. Can't really tell. When it gets close and personal, it's how fast you can shoot the guy in front of you.

#10 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

I try and hide from those firing at me and shoot those who aren't. Their color scheme makes little difference. :)

#11 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 09 September 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

Ive often wondered whether or not players allow the colours of opponents mech to influence their targetting priorities.

I tend to colour mine in drab colours so as to not stand out in the crowd, so to speak.

When you see an opponent how do you prioritise?

Are you the professional type that only goes after high priority targets no matter what you can see or are you like me and more likely to ignore that dull grey Direstar thats lining up on you because that bright green Mist Lynx Lurm boat just has to die?

https://youtu.be/zekiZYSVdeQ

#12 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

This camo scheme tends to attract attention..... which is the best camo you can offer for your team :D
Posted Image

#13 z MadButcher z

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 102 posts
  • LocationButchers Chop Shop

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

Prioritize by threat level. Everything else is negligible.

#14 Torric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

I usually paint my mechs in a mixture of light grey (which looks more like whtie tbh), red and black, because unit colours... i noticed that white or red heavies and assault seem to get prioritized by the opponents though.

Most of the time i cannot even see the mech colors, because horrible filters in MWO, so no effect on my targeting priorities.

Edited by Torric, 09 September 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#15 Soldier91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

Got prioritized so often in my firestarter I decided two things
>if I'm gonna die might as well look good doing it
>channel the red comet could use newtype evasion
Paint one firestarter red, one orange with red, one red with orange.
So far the full red one gets targeted less. Sometimes things even line up a shot at it then decide it's not worth the heat and switch to something else.
Probably doesn't help my cause that I prefer aiming for cockpit over rear armor, but 8 small pulse + advanced zoom taken down two fully armored hunchbacks toe to toe with that mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users