116 replies to this topic

#1 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

I thought that this was a game that I could play for a long time, I like sci-fi, I like mechs, the BT universe seems rather interesting and I've already invested a bit of money in the game.
Unfortunately I'm starting to get more and more angry and frustrated when playing and discussing the game, and that's not how I want to feel when I'm supposed to have fun.

The overwhelming reason is spelled Arctic Cheetah. I just can't get around the fact that it's allowed to be so ridiculously overpowered compared to anything else.
In a game where most if not all other mechs are a compromise of some sort the ACH is not, it has it all, godlike hitboxes, C-XL, speed, great alpha, great JJ, ECM.

Seeing game after game literally being decided by who has the most ACHs is just not fun.
The crushing feeling that when I go up against an ACH one on one that I have maybe 25% chance of winning that duel just sucks the life out of this game for me.

I really thought that PGI would fix it so that it would come down to a reasonable level, but instead all we get is a punch in the face that they call balance.
I really don't understand how a game company can so blatantly underestimate the need for good balance, not just overall, but in each part of a game.
In a competitive multiplayer game, balance is everything.

I'm not giving up completely yet, but as it stands it's just not fun any longer.
Sadly, as things are, I think PGI will find it very difficult to keep new players like me interested for very long. But maybe they don't care?

Flame away.

#2 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

What do you think about the FS9-A? Or even the Timberwolf.

#3 Quick n Fast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationKahnawake

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

lol come back an QQ when you have more games played then posts here on the forums lol

#4 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

What's your standard for how light 'Mechs are supposed to be?

The Firestarter?

The Jenner?

The Spider?

The Locust?

The UrbanMech?

I'm honestly curious, because most of the things on that list are in the 'ignore and focus on the actual match' column. Where do you figure light 'Mechs should be?

The question you need to ask yourself, after that, is "can light 'Mechs at this level actually fight and contribute to the match, or is this a level where they're basically fluff I don't have to worry about unless I screw up really, really badly?"

#5 Tuefel Hunden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

I think Spiders should be removed from the game!!! The daggone things are impossible to hit.

#6 SolarCleric

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

Can't beat em join em. I love my cheetahs! *growl!*

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostTuefel Hunden, on 09 September 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

I think Spiders should be removed from the game!!! The daggone things are impossible to hit.

After mastering my Novas and Dire Wolves, as well as Executioner and Gargoyle Primes, I took out my Arctic Cheetah for some Mauler hunting last night. But lo and behold, I was having a difficult time nailing spiders. Spiders?

Serves me right for not playing lights for several weeks. But, I did bag myself a few Maulers. So meh!

#8 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostSaxie, on 09 September 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

What do you think about the FS9-A? Or even the Timberwolf.

I've never had any problem with those.

The FS9 is much easier to leg, or you can just take out one ST and it's gone (unless weird build).
Although the FS9-A has a good alpha, the pilot knows that his mech is quite fragile and is therefore more cautious and can be scared away by being shot at.
An ACH pilot knows that he is very difficult to destroy and can thus stay on target longer using his even more powerful alpha several times.

While the Timberwolf overall is a great mech it's not so much ahead of everything else as the Cheetah.
If I'm in a light I have mobility advantage and can use that, If I'm in a similar weight mech I can usually go toe to toe pretty well with one, and in a heavier mech possibly out-shoot it.
When faced with an ACH I always feel I'm at a disadvantage no matter what mech I'm using.

Edited by Yellonet, 09 September 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#9 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

View Post1453 R, on 09 September 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

The UrbanMech?

God please no. The urbie should be alone on it's own level of "OP-ness".
That thing is the definition of "pay 2 win".
Not even the infamous "arctic cheater" can even dream of equaling it.

#10 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostKahnawake MechMaster Prime, on 09 September 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

lol come back an QQ when you have more games played then posts here on the forums lol

How, exactly, would anyone know when that is?

#11 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

Are you shooting them in the legs? They have more leg structure than other lights due to quirks, but the legs are easy to hit consistently and once they are legged they are toast, just like every other light.

#12 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

View Post1453 R, on 09 September 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

The Firestarter?

The Jenner?

The Spider?

The Locust?

The UrbanMech?

I'm honestly curious, because most of the things on that list are in the 'ignore and focus on the actual match' column. Where do you figure light 'Mechs should be?

The question you need to ask yourself, after that, is "can light 'Mechs at this level actually fight and contribute to the match, or is this a level where they're basically fluff I don't have to worry about unless I screw up really, really badly?"

Those are all fine, as well as all Clan lights except the ACH.
All the lights listed have their respective strengths and weaknesses, although the Urbanmech may be more of a novelty than an actually competitive mech.

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostYellonet, on 09 September 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

The overwhelming reason is spelled Arctic Cheetah. I just can't get around the fact that it's allowed to be so ridiculously overpowered compared to anything else.

So you're feeling helpless against an ACH. Well, see my post above about Spiders!

#14 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostKahnawake MechMaster Prime, on 09 September 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

Checked your profile... says your 49. Try to act your age, ok? :)
So, how many games should I play before I'm allowed to "QQ"?

#15 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostTuefel Hunden, on 09 September 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

They're impossible to hit, because nobody plays them anymore.
Seriously, i can't remember the last time, i saw one in-game.

#16 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostYellonet, on 09 September 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

I've never had any problem with those.

The FS9 is much easier to leg, or you can just take out one ST and it's gone (unless weird build).
Although the FS9-A has a good alpha, the pilot knows that his mech is quite fragile and is therefore more cautious and can be scared away by being shot at.
An ACH pilot knows that he is very difficult to destroy and can thus stay on target longer using his even more powerful alpha several times.

While the Timberwolf overall is a great mech it's not so much ahead of everything else as the Cheetah.
If I'm in a light I have mobility advantage and can use that, If I'm in a similar weight mech I can usually go toe to toe pretty well with one, and in a heavier mech possibly out-shoot it.
When faced with an ACH I always feel I'm at a disadvantage no matter what mech I'm using.

you had me right up to the point you said the Ach has a more powerful alpha than the Firestarter, then I felt your credible post is just a rant

#17 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostYellonet, on 09 September 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

Those are all fine, as well as all Clan lights except the ACH.
All the lights listed have their respective strengths and weaknesses, although the Urbanmech may be more of a novelty than an actually competitive mech.

Then what do you suggest be done to the Cheetah?

The most prevalent request seems to be removing its leg structure quirks so the legs come off at the first medium laser graze, but without information on The Big Rebalance coming soon, I'm hesitant to swing the hammer harder than it's already been swung. Remember - the Cheetah has only seven tons of gear if it goes with ECM and max armor, and it just lost a lot of extra durability above the hips.

If you pwnooblerate the thing, and then The Big Rebalance comes out and Clan energy gets hammered the way a lot of folks are figuring it will, then we have a Cheetah which has been overnerfed into pointlessness. This won't even solve the problem permanently - we have Jenner IICs coming that will also have 6E variants available, if not with ECM, but with the advantage of unlocked engines.

If the hitboxes are legitimately broken, they need to be fixed. I'm not convinced they are, but if they are that's top priority. After a hitbox pass, investigate what needs to actually be done. I would argue that implementing the long-planned cXL shoulder destruction penalties, which would incur a 20% speed penalty on the Cheetah as well as significant heat hits, would probably be enough to bring the thing into line, combined as it would be with the loss of arm/shoulder quirks.

The Arctic Cheetah is the Clans' first competitive high-speed machine. It would be a shame to ruin it completely because of a rocky start, hm?

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

When I start seeing to many cheetos around I just get in my streak dog. 6* ssrm6 does easy work on them.

#19 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

I wonder what effect restoring SPL damage to 3 would have on Firestarter As and the typical Cheetah builds?

#20 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

View Post1453 R, on 09 September 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

If the hitboxes are legitimately broken, they need to be fixed. I'm not convinced they are,

They're not.
Enjoy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users