How Do Maulers Seem To People Without Maulers?

70 replies to this topic

#21 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

It's an Awesome with ballistics. Nasty but easy to hit.

#22 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

Played only a few games this week and then only in my Mad Dog so all I can say is they are superb at catching LRMs... that and Bouncing Mauly still looks silly when it runs ( but that's my problem with their animations )

#23 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

Didn't notice them much. Maybe because most of them are unmastered.

#24 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Imposing silhouette. Surprisingly durable. Intimidating firepower. 9 times out of 10 they whittle me down so that even if I do kill them, I am near useless afterward. I can hit them fine, but can't seem to tear limbs off fast enough. Nerf please... OH WAIT! I thought you said Cheetahs.

Facing Maulers seems average.

Edited by Sethliopod, 10 September 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#25 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

Just saw the greatest Mauler of them all:

4x LRM 5 + Artemis, 2x TAG, 2x UAC/5 .......

Maybe I don't want to see my tier that badly after all....

#26 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

"awesome with ballistics" pretty much sums it up

pretty easy to kill but unlike the awesome you cant afford to ignore it. it drops laughably fast to focus fire though.

if they ever fix pinpoint damage so assault mechs dont obliterated instantly by focus fire, this thing might be a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by Khobai, 10 September 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#27 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

They are either slow (270 STDs), or fragile (XLs) or they give up the potential for good firepower.

That means they always have some kind of Achilles heel you can easily exploit to deal with them.

#28 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

Nice IS assault, which allows for plenty of options. Quite wide, though, makes an easy target when facing you or directly away. Seems tough enough for an assault too.

#29 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Maneuverability is questionable. I got in behind one in a light and popped his behind before he had any chance to turn and waylay me. Of course, it's entirely possibly he wasn't elited yet so didn't move or turn as fast as he could have.

#30 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

I've killed a few Maulers in single-handed combat with my Locust.

Let that sink in a moment...

#31 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

Currently there is two types of Mauler pilot on the go, those who spend long moments staring at my laser vomit Timber Wolf, they usually complain about their weak CT.
Then theres those who make this mech live up to its name, good loadouts that simply maul their targets, good positioning, good shielding, which if done right makes the Mauler very very tanky.
Overall, i find the Mauler to have the potential to be one scary motherf****r.

#32 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Seems pretty balanced to me. It's definitely a threat, but they die when you engage smartly. Two caveats to my experiences:

Usually when I see one, there are three more, since everyone and their grandma seems to have bought the pack. Four Maulers at once is a liiiiitle much to fight.

Most of the people I've been fighting probably don't have the basics done on their MALs yet, let alone master/elite. It's hard to say if that will make much of a difference when fighting them.

#33 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

Would be good if it had 90 degree twist. Otherwise it's just a slightly worse Banshee/Crab

#34 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

It has the typical weaknesses of a large, slow, limited twist, gunboat. It also has the advantages of a large, slow, limited twist, GUNBOAT.

Stand in front of it, and you'll have a bad day. Unless you're a Gigawhale. The Hexa 5 Build has some nasty PPFLD, provided the pilot has any accuracy. The quad LB10x is hilarious for heavies and assaults, but brutally effective against mediums and lights. I would not recommend Gauss, but that might just be because I was in an Autoshotty CN9-D, and was critting those things out like crazy.

Basically, it is the IS version of the Whale, but without Clantech.

Oh, and the SRM variant was..... interesting. I think the Launchers are too high for good SRM use, as more than once the entire flight shot over my head.

Lolrms can be pretty intimidating, if you don't do all the usual counter measures to LRMs, or get caught with your pants down. But, if you're having trouble with LRMs, then that's not the Maulers fault.

#35 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

They're like cookies, delicious, delicious cookies.

#36 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

As a Highlander pilot, I envy their hardpoints. The Highlander has far crappier hardpoints,

732 - 7 hardpoints
732B - 8 hardpoints
733 - 7 hardpoints
733C - 7 hardpoints
733P - 7 hardpoints

MAL-1P - 8 hardpoints
MAL-1R - 8 hardpoints
MAL-2P - 10 hardpoints
MAL-MX90 - 10 hardpoints

Oh, and they're not distributed to different sides. The Mauler isn't made utterly harmless if you take out a single side torso. And don't talk to me about equpping SRMs. Even if I bring 4xSRM6, who the hell is dumb enough to walk into range of my plodding, fat Highlander, armed only with SRMs? Nobody.

And what does my Highlander get? Instead of dual gauss, 4xUAC5, 2xAC20, what does the Highlander get? What is the big advantage the Highlander has over the Mauler?

6-8 tons of jump jets that do nothing

Edited by Alistair Winter, 10 September 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#37 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

Ive been using it in CW games and it can be a beast if you know how to use it. my only concern was just the speed of it. if it had a I guess a speed quirk it would make up for the 10 less tonnage you would've used on a king crab or atlas. The mauler can use a good variety of configs in game. Im still messing with the other variants in the lab but either way overall, good mech.

#38 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 September 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

For the most part people are liking their Maulers. I was just curious to see how people who were going up against them feel.
OP? Too many guns? UP/no big deal?
Anyone crying for nerfs?

I see them as another assault taking up a spot on my team where I'd rather have a 100t.

#39 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

They're not easier or harder to kill than most assaults. Not as good a 'mech as a Dire, that's for sure.

#40 Kelshaw Xun

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

As a Locust pilot? Mauler hasn't bothered me too much, most folks with a Mauler arn't going to waste ammo on somthing they may not hit. I have got to chew on some rear armor it It's tasty.

Also as a Locust pilot? I love the Mauler, mannaged to draw some of those SRM meds to a toe to toe with friendly Maulers. The Mauler has saved me a number of times for quick getaways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users