- - - - -

Gun Destroyed, Is Their Something I Should Do?

17 replies to this topic

#1 hiromu656

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:40 PM

Pretty much that, I'm very new to the game (first day), my gun gets destroyed in the match (unless I'm just out of ammo). Is there something I should do next? Or is that the end?

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

Are you using a trial mech? If so, which one are you using?

There are mechs that have weapons in other locations and some mechs have lasers which have no ammo but generate more heat than ballistic weapons. Try using other mechs for now and see if you can find one that better suits your preferred playstyle.

If you run out of ammo or lose all your weapons, you can help spot for the team by pressing R to target enemy mechs. If you are in Conquest or Assault game modes, you can help by capping the capture points or the enemy base. You can also stay with the group and when they charge to attack (if ever they do) you can help tank some damage by joining them.

If you die, you can quit the match and pick a different mech and join another one.

#3 hiromu656

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Yes I am using the Trial mechs. I switched to a different mech that seemed to have infinite ammo (a laser type shot), ended up pressing random keys on the keyboard and found some alternate shot on number 2. Probably should have got a couple more games in before starting this thread :P thanks for the quick response, I'm gonna keep going, try to learn a bit more.

#4 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

When you die, don't quit the match to hop in another mech. Instead, spectate the rest of your team - you will learn faster by watching them.

#5 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

View Posthiromu656, on 10 September 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Yes I am using the Trial mechs. I switched to a different mech that seemed to have infinite ammo (a laser type shot), ended up pressing random keys on the keyboard and found some alternate shot on number 2. Probably should have got a couple more games in before starting this thread :P thanks for the quick response, I'm gonna keep going, try to learn a bit more.

You can see the weapon groups in the lower right of the screen. Pressing left mouse button will fire group 1. Right mouse button will fire group 2. Pressing 1/2/3/4/5/6 will fire the weapons highlighted in the weapon group.

#6 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

The best thing for you to do is goting through the short (if very incomplete) ingame tutorial.

You can find it under the "Home" tab at the top of the ingame menu, then look for "Tutorial" on the left side.

As I wrote, it is very incomplete, but it does cover some very basic things such as weapon groups and movement. There is a better tutorial in the works, but that could take a little to get ingame.

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

View Posthiromu656, on 10 September 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

Pretty much that, I'm very new to the game (first day), my gun gets destroyed in the match (unless I'm just out of ammo). Is there something I should do next? Or is that the end?

Simply: Nothing. You can't do anything to fix a destroyed weapon. However, that weapon will be working on your next drop.

As mentioned earlier. Just because your weapons are destroyed, that doesn't mean you can't contribute to the team. You can still acquire locks. Help capture bases/points, catch bullets for your team, and at the very least, you still being alive keeps the death tally smaller, which can do wonders for morale. A team that sees 7-4, is much more motivated than one in a 8-4 fight.

#8 Nyte Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

First welcome to the game. second i highly suggest you got through the tutoral, or at the very least spectate other mechs after your mech is destroyed. While you are spectating look for other mechs that interest you.

As you watch other players their actions may look chaotic at first, but there is are patterns/ stratagies to the way most pilots run there mechs. Iwill try to think of more things to help you out. just got home from work, so gave you the short list :)

happy hunting and have fun.

Edited by Nyte Wolf, 10 September 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:39 PM

WELCOME ABOARD!

You've come to the right place for help!

First, yes. Once the weapon is DESTROYED, it is no longer useful in THAT match. Once the match is over, it is considered that all mechs are full rearmed and repaired, including reloading any expended ammo. It wasn't ALWAYS like that, but that's another story entirely...

Also, if the weapon runs out of ammo during the match, it is then no longer useful. And again, once the match ends, that ammo is automatically restored to its designated location.

Now, on to LAZORZ! They're awesome, right? They're a type of 'energy' weapon, along with PPCs and (kinda-sorta) TAG. There are small and large and medium lasers, there are pulse and extended-range and regular (for us IS POGs) lasers. They tend to put out more heat than ballistic or missile weapons, and heat is a b*****d. The tradeoff? They don't require ammo. Same for all energy weapons. PPCs don't use ammo either, and are HOT-HOT-HOT, but otherwise act like autocannons (they fire a single projectile with a given speed and full pinpoint damage on a hit, as opposed to lasers' beams that do their damage over time and are therefore subject to holding the beam on target).

Confuddled yet? Don't worry. You'll get it, and I suspect quickly so.

Take the trial mechs to the TESTING GROUNDS. This is where you can basically test-drive any trial or owned mech on any map, with 8 target dummies that won't fire back and won't judge you. See how long that AC/2 ammo lasts you. Figure out how far you can reach with those machine guns. And, most importantly for you at the moment, SET UP THOSE WEAPON GROUPS! You do it in mech lab or training grounds, and that configuration holds UNTIL AND UNLESS you change the loadout on THAT SPECIFIC VARIANT OF THAT CHASSIS. So, if you set up your RVN-2X's weapons, then you shelf the mech for a year, when you come back to it your weapon groups will still be the same, even if you thereafter bought ANOTHER RVN-2X and set it up totally differently. Or something.

I cannot overstate the value of Training Grounds, especially for new players. Seriously. You should have to put in X hours in there before you can get your cadet bonuses. It's THAT important.

#10 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:16 AM

Take a look under options for keyboard/mouse controls. You can find out what does what and maybe modify it to suit your preference. Just double click to edit. (you can reset if you mess up as well)

#11 Starcrash

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:59 AM

Everyone shoots the arm off Dragons. Try turning it away from the enemy when you're not actually shooting, take incoming fire on the other side as much as possible. Good hunting!

#12 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

OP please take the time to go into settings and learn the keybinds and mech functionality. Also please use testing grounds to learn the maps and get a feel for the heat scale. Your game experience will be greatly improved by these simple actions. GLGH.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

Op, very few mechs have only one weapon and only a few don't make use of energy weapons which have no ammo limit. Weapons and weapon groups are on the bottom right. Number when highlighted means it's a member of that numerical group. Use mouse buttons and keyboard keys to fire groups. Set up custom controls in settings. Test out in testing grounds.

#14 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:32 AM

View Posthiromu656, on 10 September 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

No weapons doesn't mean you can't do anything else on that match.

Some examples...
Conquest:
- Obvious option -> Go cap around and move around in a way so you avoid getting spotted, even if that means taking the longest route to a destination

Assault:
- One option -> Go cap the enemy base. By doing this you will possibly split the enemies team and provide a window for your team to pounce on them
Edit - Depending on the circumstances, you can also be useful if the enemy team starts to cap your base, move your mech inside the base and survive hell for as long as possible, delaying their cap and also providing your team time to get there and crush them.

Skirmish:
- Another option that you may also use on Assault or even Conquest -> Use your mech as a shield for your friends. If you spot an enemy close, attacking a friendly mech, move between them, give your teammate a chance to reposition while you are soaking up damage from the enemy. More often than not you will be a great distraction for the enemy, even if it is for a few seconds, and that is enough for your teammate to shoot and hurt the enemy. You can block shots or even block the enemies mech movement.

On rare occasions, both last players may have no weapons, this doesn't mean it's a tie. You can ram your opponents mech dealing small portions of damage to him and to you, if you have more armor, then it's a safe bet that if you continue to do so, you will win.

Ramming is also an option on other cases when the enemy still has weapons, you are still dealing damage and helping the team, even if slightly. Beats running away and shutting down in most cases (except conquest where your team might have points advantage and then, shutting down is actually a smart move).

Edited by FlipOver, 14 September 2015 - 12:34 AM.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

-----
Added:
About what to do when you no longer have a means to fight.
Target the enemies you can see. When targeted, an ally can provide support fire from a distance of up to (or sometimes over) 1,000 meters.

Missile support shown here.

And the view of a support-giver here.

Remember the old saying:
Spoiler

Helllo new guy. Welcome to MWO. Koniving here. I have some helpful advice but first I should note I am experimennting with a tablet that the girlfriend got me. Thus this post is likely to get edited to insert images of reference and such later. It also means I have not deeply read any other advice despite their intrinsic value. If I repeat things being said already I do apologize.

Lets get started. (It is so weird typing with thumbs. Impressed with the accuracy since my thumbs are huge.) On the bottom right side of the screen after entering a match you will see a wea pon display. This display contains a lot of information. Weapon name. Ideal range. Ammo if appplicable. On the left side of the name of each weapon is a set of 6 numbers. The blue number will fire the weapon. In a panic the \ key will fire everything!

Posted Image
Lets have a look at the bottom right corner.
This tells us a lot, actually. Lets look at the first line.
"1 Large Pulse Laser 350m [____] [Infinite]"
  • The blue 1 tells us that it is set to firing group 1 (left click).
  • The next item is its name. Large class pulse laser.
  • Next, 350m tells us that the ideal expected damage range is 350 meters. (in Battletech we call this the "ideal expected accurate range" where beyond that range you're less likely to score a hit.) "IEDR" or "Ideal Expected Damage Range" is the highest range the weapon can fire and still potentially deliver 100% of its damage.
  • Lets remain at the 350m for the moment. This tells us something else, secretly: 350mx2 = the Zero Range. 700 meters and the weapon will deliver exactly 0 damage. Anything between 350 meters and 700 meters will deliver "less than ideal" damage.
    Spoiler

• The [___] represents the bar. It is black normally. It turns red when fired, shrinks red when 'reloading' or 'recharging'. For Gauss Rifles exclusively, it turns yellow when activated, builds to yellow when charging and green when ready to fire. (Hold to charge, release to fire).
  • Finally the last symbol here, Infinite, means the weapon is not ammunition based.
There are two other things to look at here.
First: Note one weapon is grayed out. The LRM (Long Range Missile) launcher. This indicates that Zero damage will be delivered if the target under my crosshair is hit. This is due to a minimum range rule MWO is using. The "gray-out" means "Ineffective."
Second. Note the red weapon, an Autocannon of Category 10 (AC/10). No ammunition and destroyed. If it was just no ammunition it would gray out to let us know it would be ineffective. Instead it is red. Destroyed.

"Why didn't he mention the yellow weapon system?"
Curious about it are you? Yellow means "less than ideal effectiveness." If your weapon states 270m, but you target someone at 325m you will get a yellow weapon; this is telling you that it will do less than ideal damage if fired now. "Partially effective." AMS turns green when enemy missiles are in range.

That was quite a bit to take in. When ready for more, click the spoiler.
Spoiler

Sometime in the future, I advise that you try the "Testing Grounds". Here the targets can't shoot back and you can learn at your pace.

Edited by Koniving, 14 September 2015 - 07:24 AM.

#16 poopiepants

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

when i lose my main arm weapon......i just DFA the bum that shot me lol.

Edited by poopiepants, 14 September 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#17 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

You could try to ram your attacker. That happened to me today. Destroyed all the guns on an oppponents mech and he just rammed me. I lol'd and hit him again. xD

#18 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostElizander, on 10 September 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

You can see the weapon groups in the lower right of the screen. Pressing left mouse button will fire group 1. Right mouse button will fire group 2. Pressing 1/2/3/4/5/6 will fire the weapons highlighted in the weapon group.

I should point out if someone has not already that you can change those keys as well as the groups. Personally I have group 3 on middle mouse - I think a lot of people do that. The others I have by number, but I never use more than three groups because pressing number keys throws me off my controls.

Also, the numbers in question are the ones on the top row of the keyboard. the number keys on the right of the keyboard are recognized differently and default to throttle settings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users