Ptr Balance Test... What A Mess...

431 replies to this topic

#421 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

09/13/2015: First phase of the Re-Balance PTS is over! We're going to make a few changes and fixes based on your feedback and metrics, but a new phase of the Re-Balance PTS will begin soon.

#422 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostFupDup, on 14 September 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

I think a huge part of the issue is that they are forgetting about the "natural" role that each chassis fulfills based on their innate design qualities.

For example, there probably isn't supposed to be a "scout Atlas" variant, despite jokes about Steiner Scout Lances. Every Atlas variant should be defensive/tanky primarily, with some weapon quirks sprinkled in to balance them against each other. The only variant that should get agility buffs should be the Boar's Head, because that variant was specifically designed to be way faster (XL400 stock engine).

They also aren't accounting for a mech's innate weaknesses when they create their "balance diamond" diagram. For example, a Kit Fox is going to have low mobility by its very nature of having a tiny XL180 engine. Negative agility quirks to create low mobility are entirely unnecessary in that case, and overkill for a mech that is already sub-par as it is.

Who asked for a Mist Lynx nerf?

I'm still trying to figure that out.

#423 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 September 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

Who asked for a Mist Lynx nerf?

I'm still trying to figure that out.

that's just the thing if their algorithm is telling them the mist lynx needs a nerf.... then they have plugged the numbers in wrong or something

#424 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 14 September 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

that's just the thing if their algorithm is telling them the mist lynx needs a nerf.... then they have plugged the numbers in wrong or something

It could be artificial perception bias. A good ish pilot takes a sub par mech that everyone goes meh I can deal with it at any time, and he goes ignored for much a match. He will eventually do 435 damage get 5 kills and have a great match in a substandard mech

#425 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostLugh, on 14 September 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

It could be artificial perception bias. A good ish pilot takes a sub par mech that everyone goes meh I can deal with it at any time, and he goes ignored for much a match. He will eventually do 435 damage get 5 kills and have a great match in a substandard mech

are you kidding me? i drive awesomes, you explain that to me is first of all hilarious; but secondly -

the mist lynx and awesome are mechs that people go MEH over already, in pts they fare even worse.
meaning people went meh first then they got a nerf on top of it

and it's not subjective or biased; if you turn like crap you have no business shooting srms; you're better off with ranged weapons; FACT.
so if they nerf the hell out of the turn on your underpowered mech they really kill any chance of you using short range weaps with at all

Edited by Mazzyplz, 14 September 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#426 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostLugh, on 14 September 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

However... every 4 out of 5 matches where "a Mist Lynx suddenly appears", they are usually ineffective and usually have lost an arm in the process of being disabled weaponwise.

#427 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:35 AM

I think a huge part of the issue is that they are forgetting about the "natural" role that each chassis fulfills based on their innate design qualities.

For example, there probably isn't supposed to be a "scout Atlas" variant, despite jokes about Steiner Scout Lances. Every Atlas variant should be defensive/tanky primarily, with some weapon quirks sprinkled in to balance them against each other. The only variant that should get agility buffs should be the Boar's Head, because that variant was specifically designed to be way faster (XL400 stock engine).

They also aren't accounting for a mech's innate weaknesses when they create their "balance diamond" diagram. For example, a Kit Fox is going to have low mobility by its very nature of having a tiny XL180 engine. Negative agility quirks to create low mobility are entirely unnecessary in that case, and overkill for a mech that is already sub-par as it is.

well wtf fupdup, who asked for a logicbomb around here LOL, can you please apply for Pauls job?

Edited by Summon3r, 14 September 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#428 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

it's pretty obvious since every chassis has a spectrum of stuff across them, that none of these are meant to be remotely indicative of any final designs. But it does let you get a feel for the gamut of ranges across each chassis.

But hey, why let common sense break out now?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users