Community Mapmaking Contest

2 replies to this topic

#1 Quelldrogo

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:33 AM

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but it should remain as top feature until implemented. Having only 10 maps in a game out for 3 years is shameful.

1. Make a community map editor and allow for map files to be loaded in testing grounds. Make test map files different from real game files to minimize hacking.

2. Once map has been loaded and player has explored over 50% of the grid squares, allow for player to vote on quality of map from 1 to 10 in game UI.

3. Have game UI show the top 10 voted cumulative map scores. Include an option to download them into testing grounds so players can explore them.

4. Every couple months, PGI reviews the top voted maps and chooses to add one to the game. They convert the file from a test map to a real map, and do the final finishing touches to make the map game-friendly.

This saves PGI the work of designing maps from scratch themselves, and will continually add new content to help keep the game fresh. I love the 10 maps PGI gave us, but after a few months it is going to get stale seeing no new terrain. Thanks for listening!

EDIT: I'd also add that announcing map winners would go very nicely with the buzz around an upcoming Steam release.

Edited by Quelldrogo, 13 September 2015 - 07:52 AM.

#2 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

I've seen this suggested before just like you mentioned. A bunch of people kept shooting down the ideas with comments about community made stuff has exploits and such.
But you can ignore them. I love the idea. We might even get a CW map without bottlenecks and far fewer unclimbable walls.

The dev's are just taking the general idea made by the community not the entire map itself.
Since mechs would get repeatedly stuck on such maps because of the quality and such i suggest a flying camera to explore the map instead.

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

Every game that let's its community create content has had a long and happy life, full of good times, hours of fun, and has made its Dev's rich.

I really don't see why MWO should keep map making to itself..

After all, they have a great, deticated playerbase, and should make good use of it..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users