4 replies to this topic

#1 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

After hours on the PTS playing as many different mechs and playstyles what follows is my impression. I will try to keep this as concise as possible to make the developer's jobs easier, but given the depth and interplay of the multiple layers to this game, it will be long winded at times.

High Level Overview and what happened on the PTS

1) The Fallacy of the new balancing model - There are not 4 pillars to mech balance in MWO

Let’s face it, this game is mech team deathmatch. You win by damaging and killing mechs. To that end the THREE things that allow a mech to do its job are a) mobility (top speed and accel/decel) B) defense (armor and hitboxes) and c) firepower. Sensors are not important enough given the current map sizes, even on the bigger maps, to make up for any shortcoming in killing potential. We know based on spawns, generally where the enemy will approach from.

Using sensors as a pillar of balance is just opens up the gap between the top performers and the bottom performers as the sensor “buffs” the bad mechs get or the sensor “nerfs” good mechs get don’t amount to much and presents an inaccurate picture of each mech’s combat potential. Information warfare is the icing on the cake to allows for an increased level of teamwork and strategy whilst allowing some underperforming mechs to contribute to their team in a way beyond combat potential. It is not a central pillar of mech balance in MWO.

Furthermore trying to balance a game off of numbers and metrics is a surefire way to lose perspective. Gameplay experience counts for so much more as there are a nearly infinite number of factors that go into a mech given how many variables exist in the game: pilot skill, mech chassis & build , map, teamwork. Trying to quantify all of these and balance off a spreadsheet is guaranteed to lead down the wrong path.

2) There will always be someone complaining about something – Is it worth listening to them?

Let’s really think about the state of the game on live. Is it really that bad? I don’t think so. People complain about TTK but try fighting a 1v1 (I would argue that most of the playerbase is too gunshy and sensitive about their ego to have ever done this). Even amongst comp players a 1v1 usually lasts about half a minute to 45 seconds. 30-45 full seconds! Count that out in your head; it’s an eternity. Double armor slows down the pace of the game a lot and frankly the only people that complain about low TTK are the ones that wander into enemy firing lines and eat damage from 6 mechs at once because they have poor situational awareness and/or their team did not scout or play their information warfare role correctly.

As far as the complaints about laser vomit goes, I believe that is a reflection of imbalances with other weapon systems rather than any fundamental flaw in the game. For example with the doubling of armor, ammo did not get doubled. This makes energy based weapons instantly more attractive in the public que to say nothing of CW. Couple the plight of ballistics with the way ECM hard counters LRMs and the weak state of SRMs and you unsurprisingly have a recipe for laser vomit meta.

The point I’m trying to make is that we can bring up underperforming weapons systems, adding variety and fun to the game with simple tweeks whilst weakening the meta and we don’t have to overhaul the entire game to do so.

3) IS vs Clan Balance

On the PTS IS mechs have enormous structure buffs. I think the idea behind this one was if I read it right: if clan mechs hit harder, just make the IS mechs tanker and it’s balanced! This simplified argument completely misses the nuances and reality of IS vs Clan tech and how the mechs perform in the battlefield.

Let’s really break down IS vs Clan tech. The first thing to understand, is that with certain exceptions (some lights and mediums) IS cannot make use of endo AND ferro due to them taking up 14 slots vs 7 for clans. Whilst on average this is only a 1-2 ton difference, it adds up. All ammo based IS weapons are heavier and the energy weapons do less dmg and have less range. And the biggest difference: IS XLs die with 1 side torso. This combination adds up to if IS mechs want to come anywhere near the firepower of Clan mechs, they have to run XL.

Now some IS mechs, given their current quirks can run STD engines and do quite well: Hunchback 4G comes to mind. Others need to run XL: Enforcer for example. One needs to consider if the mech is also XL friendly. In the previous case, the Enforcer is XL friendly (smaller profile, good humanoid hitboxes, fairly quick) whilst some mechs, like the Orion really require an XL to be competitive yet struggle even with an XL due to a combination of factors making them XL unfriendly (big profile, big by proportion side torso hitboxes, fairly slow) *VA SRM brawler notwithstanding. This is the perfect scenario in which to apply structure buffs (yes above and beyond what is on live servers atm).

Blanket buffing structure on all IS mechs does not bring them to parity with clan mechs as most of the time, when you take dmg in MWO, it is from multiple mechs so extra survivability does not amount to much when you don’t have the weapon quirks to effectively return fire with. I would also strongly argue that the short burn times on IS energy weapons and the 1 shot projectiles of IS ballistic weapons naturally allow IS mechs to roll damage better. I understand that in the lower tiers players facetank a lot more and this nuance of IS mechs is lost, but I also believe that the fastest way to kill a game is to pander to the lowest common denominator. This limited advantage IS mechs have can be covered, emphasized and drilled into both rookies and veterans alike in the Mechwarrior Academy however.

Concrete Suggestions to Give the Developers a Direction to Go In

1) Balance underperforming weapons and systems.

a) The AC2 DPS/HPS is completely out of whack and makes what should be a solid suppressive weapon system unable to fulfill its primary role. Lower the heat.

B) SRMs are ineffective at anything other than extreme close range. Boost their flight speed to a point where they can make it to their 270 max range fast enough to actually be used at that range.

c) Machine Guns need to do more baseline damage. Certain mechs, lights in particular are worthless atm because their primary weapon system is the machine gun. Locust 1V for example.

d) Flamers in my opinion actually serve their purpose and are vastly underrated by the community. I will offer an anecdote here. A few months ago my roommates and I dropped into a match vs a 4 man of CSJx. Now my friends are not comp level players, but we dropped on tourmaline on brawler mechs that had 1 flamer each. When the main fight started we rushed the CSJx players and since those guys push their mechs’ heat right to the limit, we were able to completely shut them down and kill them. Nonetheless I recognize that the flamer is still a very niche weapon and think it is worth looking into increasing their damage since they are extremely close range.

e) LRMs are probably the trickiest to get right and will require extensive gameplay testing since they have the potential to be completely cheese. LRM balance is intrinsically tied to ECM and I believe that is the real lynchpin in LRM balance. To that end I suggest that ECM hides mech radar signatures as it does now for a brief period (off hand first idea 2 seconds) at which time mechs will be targetable. Then I suggest ECM prolongs the time it takes to get a lock (say +1/2 seconds longer). Finally even after lock I suggest ECM decreases tracking strength of LRMs by say 35%). The idea being that ECM is no longer a hard counter to LRMs, but that even after lock is established ECM prevents LRMs from cheesing full damage onto players. I think keeping the range as it is on live would be good initially to make sure LRMs didn’t become too strong.

f) This is really geared more towards the CW side of things, but I believe that changing the command module to highlight an enemy mech for the entire team to focus (different Dorito shape and/or color or highlight the mech in all red like the spectator tool allows you to currently do) and having it be able to retain lock on target for +2 seconds or something like that would go a long way towards helping the IS overcome the Clan tech advantage as well as adding a flavor of lore when IS forces often won by focusing fire whilst the clans stuck to zellbrigen.

2) Information Warfare

a) Sensors on the PTS are just awful. No mech should be fighting blind and it left some builds like LRM fire support mechs unable to use their own weapons! Rather than nerfing sensors on some mechs, I suggest you take the positive elements of the PTS sensor change and apply them to light and medium mech chassis that via hardpoint type/location are naturally not as good as the knifefighting ala FS or AC so they can contribute to their team via providing information for fire support. Also the grid locations above friendly mechs was complete information overload and screen clutter. Please remove ASAP.

B) Incorporate areas into new maps where mechs can successfully power down and stage an ambush. This is a simple example but imagine that in caustic valley, there was a deep pool close to the caldera where 4 mechs could hide. Imagine how much more depth that map would have if one team decided to hide their assault lance in there and power up directly behind the enemy once the enemy team had nascar’d past them. Instantly scouting is even more important and BAP becomes something more than what streakcrows equip to kill lights.

c) Incorporate a new consumable module that puts off ghost mech signatures. Have these ghosts be controlled by a rudimentary AI like the one in the Mechwarrior Academy. Allow certain mechs to cut through these ghost signatures with their sensor quirks.

Response to Phil “Sean Lang” Video on Balance Pass

I have a number of issues with the video Phil put out regarding this weekend’s balance test.

1) If you wanted to test the effect the sensor changes would have, why did you change durability values and weapon values on so many mechs? A basic tenet of any scientific or quantitative approach is that you only change one variable at a time. This was not a good approach for testing sensor changes.

2) Trying to find a niche of each mech chassis is a surefire way of pigeonholing players into a different meta and taking away choices as there will always be a variant that emerges as best. Furthermore Phil said that the 4G has movement buffs since it’s meant to work in close range and the Grid Iron is the most durable. What train of thought led you to make the mech that has a long range weapon, and thus can limit the number of fields of fire it exposes itself to the most durable, while the one that has to be in close range and thus exposes itself to multiple fields of fire just to bring its guns into play the one that is easier to destroy?

Closing Thoughts

One final thing to consider. There are a very minimal number of players that can really wring every bit of performance out of a mech. It is worth considering that trying to achieve perfect balance could lead to major problems and the goal should instead be to make mechs competitive with each other and being ok with minor shortcomings that a pilot can easily overcome if they make use of the tools at their disposal. Balance is pretty good right now and the game is FUN to play, despite the cries of the vocal minority. I believe small, well-thought out changes to the current state of the game would be a much better approach and much better received by the community than wholesale changes lest the game experiences a repeat of 2013.

I hope this has helped, good luck devs!

Edited by Kristian Radoulov, 14 September 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#2 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

+1

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

I agree with most of what you bring up. I guess two points I disagree on.

First, we do need armor and structure boosts, if we are going to keep weapons close to their current baseline performance, plus any quirks and modules that will increase damage output.

And what I'd like to see is chassis get such baseline boosts across all variants, then have some smaller quirks between the different variants from there.

One specific example, with the Atlas variants, the boosts that the AS7-D got are a step in the right direction for this chassis, I'd simply like to see the boosts distributed between Armor and Structure. Here is a table I was looking at to get a feel for how the boosts worked, when fighting against the AS7-Ds I encountered in the PTS. And since I own a Boar's Head and took it out for a few matches, I used that as a comparison point.

Posted Image

So one detail that I have been bring up over time is the idea of boosting instead of 2.0x to 2.5x original values. As can be seen, the first is current MWO base values on the Atlas, next to that is the values at 2.5x. With the PTS quirks found below.

The last and third line shows a redistribution of the AS7-D quirks that I would rather see than simply boosting up structure.

And this is something that I having been looking at for all mechs, just haven't had enough time yet to do more comparisons.

Last, as for LRMs, I'd like to test how a longer cooldown and fire and forget functionality (with a modified SSRM bones targeting system) affects this weapon system, along with the soft counters with ECM as you mention.

And sensor changes will just need some tweaks here and there, but there is a need to have different sensor profiles for detecting and avoiding detection.

In relation to acquiring and sustaining Locks, a fire and forget, style should be a boost to mechs that carry LRMs and with the increased difficulty of maintaining locks at range, should be a reasonable counter point to not needing to hold the crosshair / reticle on target for the entire duration of the missile flight. We just need to opportunity to test this out though.

As for the modified SSRM bones system for LRMs, the idea is to have LRMs target the bones in groups of five missiles. And that there should be at least one extra bone (or two) that can account for missing the target completely. And the devs can weight the bones, to where Artemis, NARC and TAG for example, can have more missiles hit the Target than miss. And the other potential benefit is that, Larger Launchers are not going to be at a disadvantage with spread, compared to how LRM 5s and 10s have so much tighter spread than LRM 15s and 20s.

#4 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

I might have been misunderstood a bit about armor and structure buffs. I am of the opinion that certain chassis, like the Jenner, are in desperate need of CT armor increases right now to account for the poor hitboxes the mech carries. We do differ however on our interpretation of TTK.

The fire and forget LRM idea is interesting. Once again something like that requires solid gameplay testing to account for all the variables.

Thanks for posting your thoughts! :)

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

I totally agree with Jenners. I wasn't able to get back into the PTS to look at their structure quirks again, but I was able to look at my Commandos.

My basic thoughts are to raise the armor and structure of all mechs from 2.0x current, to 2.5x values, then quirk hitboxes that need further help.

So another example are Commandos:

Posted Image

The Death's Knell, got the most significant structure quirks, of the Commando variants, in the PTS, being an additional 55 HP compared to raising values by 2.5x, as can be seen above. So I would basically redistribute that between armor and structure.

And it did help make that variant a tad more survivable, and I feel that the increase should be translated to boosts to both armor and structure and be given to all 25 tonners as a new baseline for armor and structure, so boosting the Myst Lynx in this particular case would also happen. And if there then needs to be some trade-offs in this particular case, I'd see little problem in reducing max engine rating from 240 to a lower value like 225 for example, as necessary. So that the 25 tonners can be a bit tougher yet a tad under-gunned compared to other lights, but then have stronger Infotech boosts as well.

Then if needed, there can be additional quirks that would provide smaller boosts to needy hit boxes. So, I would basically apply the same concept to the 35 tonners, then with Jenners, provide them further CT quirks for armor and structure.

Panthers would then see some boosts to the right arm, and then Adders and Firestarters, would likely see no further armor and structure quirks beyond the basic increase to 2.5x armor and structure due to better hitboxes and hardpoint layouts compared to Jenners, Ravens and Panthers. I didn't get to test my Huginn in the PTS, but further armor and structure increases from 2.5x might not help too much anyway, since they too have fine hitboxes in general, where mobility/agility, infotech, and weapon quirks could then play a bigger role for them in relation to Firestarters and Jenners.

So then staying with 35 tonners depending on what rating is provided to the various variants, then there can be further boosts to InfoTech variables, mobility/agility variables, and so on, where after watching the NGNG video, there could even be so debuffs provided to Firestarters to to their generous amount of energy hardpoints, mobility/agility profile and solid hitboxes in relation to other 35 ton mechs as necessary.

Edited by Praetor Knight, 15 September 2015 - 08:50 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users