Tier Visibility - Today Ingame

276 replies to this topic

#201 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

Don't really care what my tier is. Long as the match maker is working semi properly to have reasonably good games and winnable games who cares?

#202 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostJman5, on 16 September 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Sure it is because the bulk of your match score is derived from your damage.

Consistently high damage = consistently high match score = high tier.

Is it possible for 'the best gauss sniper in all the world' gets stuck at tier 3 because he kills too efficiently? :huh:

#203 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:13 PM

View PostDavers, on 16 September 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

Is it possible for 'the best gauss sniper in all the world' gets stuck at tier 3 because he kills too efficiently? :huh:

I would imagine the best gauss sniper in the world would carry his team to victory more often than not, ensuring a most likely increase in payer rating (you have to do poor in a win to not go up)

#204 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

5 days.

#205 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:11 AM

don't you smell the blood in the water?

#206 Thorqemada

• 6,373 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:18 AM

Depends on the Matchscore - i guess all matchscores above 250 slightly increase you PSR in case of a win...and wont let you sink in case of a loss...but who knows...

Antoehr Point is - what are the requirements of a specific Tier and have PGI apllied a curve to specify who is in what Tier based on a percentage of the playerbase or do absolute numbers count and you simply have to be above a specific value to qualify regardless how empty or crowded that Tier is.

Is the seed of Tears proceeded along a Bell-Curve, is it a Pyramid, simply a spedific Window of Matchscores, something else?

Edited by Thorqemada, 17 September 2015 - 05:23 AM.

#207 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:47 AM

Unlikely.

Good players don't just hide and wait to snag kills (because that doesn't always drive wins), and it usually takes more than one single dual gauss alpha to kill a fresh mech.

That means you spend quite a bit of ammo opening mechs up (and doing more damage in the process) - especially if you are pulling extra weight on your team.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 17 September 2015 - 05:47 AM.

#208 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

I'm unsure as to what tier I might be. I have played matches with a lot of the forum warriors, like seriously a lot of you cats, who I think should be high (1-2)tiers based on my experience with and against them, yet, I know I should be in the low (4-5) to maybe mid (3) tiers because I don't give a flip when I play and play for fun. So that makes me conclude that we probably have a lot more T3 people than we think we do and less T1-2, T4-5.

#209 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

I believe so. The better you are at doing little damage and still getting kills, whether it be light / strikers core out from the rear or Gauss doing it in 3 hits from the front may well lower the overall rating. My hope is it wouldn't. But it probably does. I would not be surprised to see some of the OMG I've lost 1983223498 GAMES IN A ROW crowd, be severely over-tiered LRM users.

#210 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:45 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 17 September 2015 - 05:18 AM, said:

Depends on the Matchscore - i guess all matchscores above 250 slightly increase you PSR in case of a win...and wont let you sink in case of a loss...but who knows...

I know that PGI implied that match score determines that (kind of obvious that would have to be what they go by), but did they ever give a number to what they mean by doing "well," "poorly," or "ok?" I guess that would be a fair number, but I am curious where you got that number.

Also, given that Russ said the tiers are ignored in the group queue (I *think*), which I question given that when I group with likely tier 1s it takes waaaaay longer to get a match, I wonder if scores in group queue matches even affect your tier placement. I know I am not tier 1, and definitely do worse when I play against people at the upper levels, so .. interesting if true.

Edited by Anachronda, 17 September 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#211 Thorqemada

• 6,373 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

Maybe they do hidden testing on PSR in the Group-Q but officially its a Solo-Q thing afaik.

In the recent Tournaments they changed the requirement of the minimal Matchscore to qualify from 30 to 150.

That makes me guess strongly that matchscores below 150 count as significant loss...

#212 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 17 September 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Maybe they do hidden testing on PSR in the Group-Q but officially its a Solo-Q thing afaik.

In the recent Tournaments they changed the requirement of the minimal Matchscore to qualify from 30 to 150.

That makes me guess strongly that matchscores below 150 count as significant loss...

In both systems, it's 300 damage to qualify. 10% in the old one, and 50% for the new Match Score system.

#213 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

Do they let you opt in to show tier in match or is it only forum?

#214 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostKaramarka, on 17 September 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

From what I understand you can opt in on the website or client. So. You will see what it is on your homescreen and you can have your drops show it by option, and on the webpage you turn that on I suppose so everyone can see that you arent dropping with or for recruiting type purposes I guess.

#215 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostKaramarka, on 17 September 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

Forums and home screen, not in match itself.

#216 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

I'm going to be upset if I'm not on the lower end of Tier 5. They should sell Tier 5 war horns that blare out 'You just got slapped with a steering wheel!' whenever the owner stumbles upon a kill.

#217 Balder Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

I'm in the tier where many have the presence of mind to actually lift their fire in order not to hit a friendly. It's the same tier that 99.9% of the time, you don't get hit with friendly fire coming out of the spawn point. I'm a happy light now..... :)

#218 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

High damage is a product of maintaining a high DPS over the course of the match. Staying engaged and aggressively attacking the enemy. Being a good shot doesn't lower your DPS it just means you're going through two or three targets in the time it takes a less accurate player to go through one.

#219 Thorqemada

• 6,373 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

I disagree somewhat - good Players kill efficently and that means their damagenumbers be lower than that of average or Greenhorn Players that tend to spray their damage all over the enemy.

#220 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 17 September 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

I disagree somewhat - good Players kill efficiently and that means their damage numbers be lower than that of average or Greenhorn Players that tend to spray their damage all over the enemy.

View PostJman5, on 17 September 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

High damage is a product of maintaining a high DPS over the course of the match. Staying engaged and aggressively attacking the enemy. Being a good shot doesn't lower your DPS it just means you're going through two or three targets in the time it takes a less accurate player to go through one.

Quoting Jman again in-case you didnt read what he said. I am very eff in my k/d. Stripping components/aiming small and hitting big. If you arent getting high scores, then maybe your team efficiently killed everyone quickly. That would be it. Maybe you are in a psr/elo where people dont mitigate damage... In my bracket people are pretty decent about rolling their bodies for the most part.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users