The Mighty Cicada Thread

37 replies to this topic

#1 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

So pretty much all my career here in MWO I've been rolling Heavies and Assaults. For whatever reason I never bought too many lights or mediums (though I play my QKDs as such)

Since I qualify for the free Cicada I bought myself a 3M, 2B, and an X-5.

I can't believe what I've been missing. People always said the CDA sucked so I never really even thought about bothering with one. But holy sh*t, this is one of the most fun mechs I've played besides my QKDs.
Can't wait for the version with JJ's.

post your love of the CDA here

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

It is on the lighter side, but as long as the mech has enough high mounts, it can't go wrong.

Excited for the freecada as well, and I will be buying them. Gonna play the 3M with a Gauss + ML with 225 XL, the baby Scat config.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 September 2015 - 08:41 AM.

#3 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

Have you ever tried a Fancycada?

Posted Image

A whole new... feeling :wub:

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

Maybe you are just in love with mediums. To me the higher alpha of the BJ-1X or higher mobility Jenner are superior.

The Cicada exists in a strange speed bracket while having comparatively bad hitboxes. That said I will return to them when the 3F comes out.

#5 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

I love my cicada! I have the one with the super-high mounted ERPPC + 4 MG's. It's gun as hell to play, I've solo'd assaults in that thing. However, after the balance patch, it loses it's 25% cooldown and 50% heat gen, so it'll be essentially useless. Oh well. I'll swap it to LPL or something.

#6 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

Dawg didn't you see back in 2013?? Cicadas are DOA man! Thine comp crowd hath decreed it....

j/k

I'm happy for you! I mastered out my X-5 long ago and am looking forward to a new Cicada to play. :)

#7 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

you surely never saw that video.

#8 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

X-5 is an awesome light hunter and skirmisher. The ECM variant is quite fun. Only Cicada bug I can't figure out is the 1 energy, 4 ballistic one.

#9 Herr Vorragend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 582 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hi :)

I´d like to share my CDA-Builds, because I really really love those mechs. And for you Rhaythe...maybe you´ll find my 3C useful, too :)
Posted Image

Here´s the smurfy-link: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a40e34e978b586

The cool thing is: ERPPC and AC2 are perfect im line on the right side. If you press the trigger this mech says: ERPPC/AC2 - AC2 - AC2 - AC2 - ERPPC/AC2 - AC2 and so on. I shared an alternative build on mechspechs with an ac5 replacing the ac2. Works fine, too.
You can even use the ERPPC for a little hill humping and the MGs spread terror while alphaing ;)

What´s the best tactic for this mech? Stay with the fatties on your team and peak. Later in the match you can go hunting very well on your own.

Other CDAs in my hangar:

CDA-2B: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5d1d3036de10a07

CDA-3M: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b22aeb6e9669c66

CDA-X5: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...78a5e96379e4285

Edited by Herr Vorragend, 17 September 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#10 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

It needs superquirks to be competitive within its own weight class, but yeah, it's a very fun mech if you get into the zone with it.

Once it loses its weapon quirks it'll be trash, though.

Edited by Yosharian, 17 September 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#11 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 17 September 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

I love my cicada! I have the one with the super-high mounted ERPPC + 4 MG's. It's gun as hell to play, I've solo'd assaults in that thing. However, after the balance patch, it loses it's 25% cooldown and 50% heat gen, so it'll be essentially useless. Oh well. I'll swap it to LPL or something.

Where did you get that info about the Balance Patch? So you heard about the PTS numbers and got your panties in a bunch? The PTS is just that "A Test Environment". Why not focus your whines on something "real". You will feel better... promise...

Edited by Almond Brown, 17 September 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#12 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

The Cicada was my second chassis, right after I face-smashed my way through learning the game in Dragons.

Yes, Dragons.

Heh...the Cicada is a ton of fun, and back in the day it was surprisingly useful. A lot of people are all "Ohhhh it's just a fat Jenner, who cares"...but no fat Jenner ever moved 130+ with two large lasers over two medium with ECM. Sure, that's nothing to brag about today, but the ol' Hunter-Killer was a standby of mine for a long, long time. The 300XL Sweet Spot means you carry half a Cheetah's worth of gear while still moving faster than anything but twigweights, and the 3M was an excellent disruptive harasser in the days when ECM was incredibly scarce and a game-changing tool.

Never got along quite as well with the X-5, but I'll admit, it was still hella fun to run around and derringer 2s cooldown SRM-2s at people. Slot in neatly behind somebody's back, fill them fulla missiles and skirmish with medium lasers as we go. Ahh...fun days. I miss my Cicadas. Will be good to get into the Jumpcada and relive the old days, at least a little.

#13 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

I really like my cicadas, most my mastered 2B, but lately (perhaps post PSR...) I've found it difficult to do well in them, I keep dying pretty fast.

#14 Deathpactt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

I also love the cicada. Its fast, tiny and can punch quite good. Also ppl intend to ignore you while there are bigger targets but thats a mistake :)

#15 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

I approve, gather the swarm! CICADA MASTER RACE FTW!

#16 Soldier91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 17 September 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Maybe you are just in love with mediums. To me the higher alpha of the BJ-1X or higher mobility Jenner are superior.

The Cicada exists in a strange speed bracket while having comparatively bad hitboxes. That said I will return to them when the 3F comes out.

No way a Jenner compares to a Cicada in any way except maybe the PPC varient. My first mech was a Panther I swear I thought Cicada's were hunting me they are like a light on steroids. Fast, a lot of hitpoints, more firepower. Those things were like my arch nemesis that I tried to avoid at all costs when I first started it's faster than a lot of lights.

#17 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 17 September 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yea I dunno, I've tried the Griffin, Stormcrow, Centurion.. none of them really spoke to me

The Cicada speaks to me, man B)

#18 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

I sure do miss my LRM 20 X-5.....launching LRMs out of those 2 tubes for a the whole match made me giggle.

JJ CDA will be a whole new box of fun.

#19 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostcSand, on 17 September 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

I can't believe what I've been missing. People always said the CDA sucked so I never really even thought about bothering with

CDA pilots have also always been saying that they were damn fun to pilot. Yes, they ARE an overgrown jenner but who cares if im having fun in it.

I bought myself a Hero CDA-3F for 9$ last week(not supposed to be injecting more cash in mwo at this moment) and i know i got a good deal.

#20 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

I also have an X5. I originally bought one, sold it, the during the hero sale rescued an old friend from the scrap heap and finished basicing it out.

Now that I've got a little better as a pilot, and have a bit better hardware, the X5 is a different 'mech. I put an ER PPC on it and one ML, leaving the rest of it stock. And the result is The Ultimate Troll. You can run into a clearing, tweak a Dire Wolf's nose from 500 meters away with a PPC to the face, then hit the gas and run before he realizes what just happened. I put the X away to save it for the debut of the 3F, and I plan to get the ECM variants well-then I will have three mediums to play with when the queue is full of Marauders and Maulers and I'm not in an UrbanMech mood.

My hubby swears by the Cicada, he really likes his.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users