Faction Warfare Is Trash

90 replies to this topic

#61 AntleredCormorant

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

The complaint about coms is odd to me. You're playing an MP TvT game but don't want to interact with people? Well.. Ok..

Mostly doing TS on the FRR hub but it's been a blast. Aside from one guy who couldn't keep it in his trousers after discovering one of our teammates was a woman (at least wait until we're out of a match and for the love of Crom, learn to take a hint dude) & some other guy who just seems to BAW until he gets muted (nobody cares, fella), I have had a great time hanging out between rounds. Really good community on there overall, highly recommend it.

As for the game mode itself, it says very clearly "Beta 2". I think CW will continue to evolve. At least I hope it does, if they want me to keep dropping $ on the game.

Edited by AntleredCormorant, 16 October 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#62 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:22 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 25 September 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Most of your post is fine. Except for that silly, and almost completely wrong bit about IS winning the long range fight.

Not completly false actually. While Clan hold the advantage at long range. Inner Sphere can still hold there ground in the short coming.
But yeah, if they don't close-up the distance. Battlemech while be getting killed by omnimechs.

But once they close the distance and medium laser can be engaged... Well let's just say Clans are pretty hot and there weapons aren't made for damage in short amount of time.

#63 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

OP needs a juice box and his blanky.

#64 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:57 PM

I've been mostly enjoying CW.

I guess I'm doing it wrong.

#65 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:36 AM

But you have to respect PGI for venturing to create this kind of game mode. There was a chance to be succefull but also a chance to drive this project against the wall.

#66 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:11 AM

CW is fun. I haven't played much since the first beta though. I don't have the time to join some video game guild, which is pivotal to winning, and playing a clanner faction is highly undesirable to me. Stats lean in clanner favour, and that's how it should be, but the IS never gets it's advantage of numbers so CW will always be broken and skewed. I like the idea of the IS mechs finding ways to overcome superior clan tech. It's pointless to play unless you are in a really good guild or recognize and submit to the clear clanner advantage in range and alpha strikes. Not too many meta players play IS anymore, most have gone Clan and it shows. Most IS loyalist players gave up, the map shows the story these days, ever since mid-Spring. I agree that the whole experiment was a heroic effort on PGI's part, but it needs a lot of work and players who a happy with the current status quo will bitterly complain at any changes that need to be done.

Edited by Ryllen Kriel, 17 October 2015 - 02:12 AM.

#67 AntleredCormorant

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostRyllen Kriel, on 17 October 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

CW is fun. I haven't played much since the first beta though. I don't have the time to join some video game guild

I know some groups have mandatory practice sessions etc but for a lot of them the amount of time invested is exactly equal to the amount of time you spend playing the game now + however long it takes your system to launch teamspeak. I know the wait times for CW are a lot more fun when BSing with your team between drops.

IDK how the other factions do things but a lot of the established FRR units run open CW drops where anyone is welcome so long as they work with the team & aren't douchebarges.

Edited by AntleredCormorant, 17 October 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#68 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

CW could be so much more. PGI needs to make taking planets significant.

#69 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 25 September 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Most of your post is fine. Except for that silly, and almost completely wrong bit about IS winning the long range fight.

Till now Long Range is IS territory ... I can tell you ;)

#70 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:26 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 17 October 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

CW could be so much more. PGI needs to make taking planets significant.

Maybe it will be much more. Still Beta and still some place for speculations. All I can say is, let's hope.

#71 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:35 PM

CW is dead to me because of the maps. They have unclimbable walls and bottlenecks all over the place.
No reasonable chance for me to get on the enemy flank or rear. Thus it's just plain boring.

#72 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 16 October 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

Not completly false actually. While Clan hold the advantage at long range. Inner Sphere can still hold there ground in the short coming.
But yeah, if they don't close-up the distance. Battlemech while be getting killed by omnimechs.

But once they close the distance and medium laser can be engaged... Well let's just say Clans are pretty hot and there weapons aren't made for damage in short amount of time.

You're basically saying that IS can win if they close in. I'm not disagreeing with that. However, that's not winning the long range fight.

#73 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

Apparently, there are some serious accusations floating around REDDIT about top CW units taking advantage of exploits to ensure that they hold the most planets with no chance of ever facing any serious (or actual) defenders. If these accusations are true and PGI does not do anything about it then there is no point in playing CW.

Edited by Ed Steele, 19 October 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#74 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:16 PM

Blr-1s 25% energy range translates to 2km max range erLL. That beats every clan mech on range. You are going to ruin it for the very few clan mechs i still enjoy playing, because they have mostly been nerfed to terrible levels. I play IS in cw but i would like too not lose the few awesome clan mechs left for pub drops over more noobs crying imbalance.

#75 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 19 October 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Apparently, there are some serious accusations floating around REDDIT about top CW units taking advantage of exploits to ensure that they hold the most planets with no chance of ever facing any serious (or actual) defenders. If these accusations are true and PGI does not do anything about it then there is no point in playing CW.

I would love to know what those "exploits" are. Because simply put, you don't need any exploits. Just drop as a group, defense is 90% solo pugs, that's how you take planets.

View PostVigorousApathy, on 19 October 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

Blr-1s 25% energy range translates to 2km max range erLL. That beats every clan mech on range. You are going to ruin it for the very few clan mechs i still enjoy playing, because they have mostly been nerfed to terrible levels. I play IS in cw but i would like too not lose the few awesome clan mechs left for pub drops over more noobs crying imbalance.

You might wanna check the quirks list, because almost all clan mechs have no negative quirks, or nerfs on them. The only negative quirks are on the overperforming chassis like the TBR, and SCR. Even the DWF has very few negative quirks.

Also, congratulations on finding one of 3 mechs that can compete in ERLL range with clan mechs, and it's an 85 tonner. Remind me, how far do the C-ERLLs go on the 55 ton SCR? Hell, if we want to go into it, the SCR has more energy hardpoints, and more higher mounts.

#76 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:57 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 19 October 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

I would love to know what those "exploits" are. Because simply put, you don't need any exploits. Just drop as a group, defense is 90% solo pugs, that's how you take planets.

This is the post:

https://www.reddit.c...cstar_cheating/

#77 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:56 PM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 27 September 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

I run atm 2 7MPL 5SS and one 3 ERLL 5SS or an 9SE with 3 LPL.

That's the problem with playing IS right now. Their weapons are sub-par so you either use the mechs with the strongest quirks or you gimp yourself. ThunderboltWarfare Online :-) ( personally I use a combination of TDR-5SS, JM6-DD, BJ-1X, WVR-6K, STK-4N or BLR-1S because I don't like drop decks with duplicates)

On the other hand, c-ERML, c-ERSL, c-SPL and c-LPL are so strong that you can put those great weapons on an underpowered clan chassis and still do lots of damage. I've seen people do thousands of damage in Executioners and Novas.
- c-SPL boats outbrawl everything, even the most quirked SRM mechs. 6 damage 3 heat - that's better than quirked IS MPL (FS9-S: 6 damage 3.2 heat) and you can mount it on any chassis you wish
- C-ERSL is basically a colder IS ML for half the weight. IS ML can only compete when mounted on a BJ-1X (-20% heat +20%range -20% duration)
- you could make a Clan SSRM30 boat to deal with any IS light, but why bother when you have C-SPL that will leg a light and core an assault with equal ease?
- ERML+LPL is the king of medium range poke. At 450 meters, a clan laservomit 65 tonner is a fair match against the best IS laservomit (STK-4N).
- half weight LRMs: if you want to be useless at half the weight
- C-Gauss is simply 3 tonnes better, end of discussion
- without quirks, I'll take c-UACs over IS ACs. Ammo is not a concern in CW because each mech, on average gets 7.5 minutes of gameplay, with at least 2 minutes spent on walking to a choke point. And the Hellbringer with high ballistic hardpoints+ECM is just gravy.

TL:DR
IS mechs: underpowered weapons + heavy quirks = no variety
Clan mechs: powerful weapons + variety of chassis

Edited by Kmieciu, 20 October 2015 - 12:15 AM.

#78 BluefireMW

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:02 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 19 October 2015 - 11:56 PM, said:

That's the problem with playing IS right now. Their weapons are sub-par so you either use the mechs with the strongest quirks or you gimp yourself. ThunderboltWarfare Online :-) ( personally I use a combination of TDR-5SS, JM6-DD, BJ-1X, WVR-6K, STK-4N or BLR-1S because I don't like drop decks with duplicates)

On the other hand, c-ERML, c-ERSL, c-SPL and c-LPL are so strong that you can put those great weapons on an underpowered clan chassis and still do lots of damage. I've seen people do thousands of damage in Executioners and Novas.
- c-SPL boats outbrawl everything, even the most quirked SRM mechs. 6 damage 3 heat - that's better than quirked IS MPL (FS9-S: 6 damage 3.2 heat) and you can mount it on any chassis you wish
- C-ERSL is basically a colder IS ML for half the weight. IS ML can only compete when mounted on a BJ-1X (-20% heat +20%range -20% duration)
- you could make a Clan SSRM30 boat to deal with any IS light, but why bother when you have C-SPL that will leg a light and core an assault with equal ease?
- ERML+LPL is the king of medium range poke. At 450 meters, a clan laservomit 65 tonner is a fair match against the best IS laservomit (STK-4N).
- half weight LRMs: if you want to be useless at half the weight
- C-Gauss is simply 3 tonnes better, end of discussion
- without quirks, I'll take c-UACs over IS ACs. Ammo is not a concern in CW because each mech, on average gets 7.5 minutes of gameplay, with at least 2 minutes spent on walking to a choke point. And the Hellbringer with high ballistic hardpoints+ECM is just gravy.

TL:DR
IS mechs: underpowered weapons + heavy quirks = no variety
Clan mechs: powerful weapons + variety of chassis

A nice example about quirks and the things they do with a game.
So time to get rid of that system and use another one...

#79 Pihoqahiak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 359 posts
  • LocationU.S.A., West Coast

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:33 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 19 October 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Also, congratulations on finding one of 3 mechs that can compete in ERLL range with clan mechs, and it's an 85 tonner. Remind me, how far do the C-ERLLs go on the 55 ton SCR? Hell, if we want to go into it, the SCR has more energy hardpoints, and more higher mounts.

There are at least 22 Inner Sphere mech variants that out range Clan ERLL with a Mk. I Targeting Computer and at least 12 mech variants that out range them even if they had a Mk. VII TC. Many of those variants have comparable, or better located hard points as well. Out of those, I'd say around a third of them are reasonably usable, and at least a quarter of them are quite deadly when trading at long range against Clan mechs.

Edited by Pihoqahiak, 20 October 2015 - 01:57 AM.

#80 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:19 AM

View PostBluefireMW, on 20 October 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

A nice example about quirks and the things they do with a game.
So time to get rid of that system and use another one...

Yeah but if we get rid of weapon quirks, the game will return to Clan Wave 1 era: total Clan dominance in every way possible.

Hunchback is an example of quirks done right. Each variant has a different flavor. We've got 6 viable Hunchback builds. That's so much better than 1 viable Dragon build we have right now.

But getting rid of quirks would bring the total number of viable Hunchback and Dragon builds to 0.

Edited by Kmieciu, 20 October 2015 - 02:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users