#1 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

This

I used to be a huge fan of this mech, but it got sold off when I needed space for a hero mech some time ago, probably a year ago. Just for shits and giggles, I bought it again and slapped some AC/5's and 2MLS on it with an XL255, AC/5 Cooldown 5, ML Cooldown 5, ML range 5. I have to say, with the quirks that are currently in place, this thing spits lead faster than I expected. Chain firing the AC/5's is devastating when strafing an enemy at 90KPH and the lasers provide a great poking tool with the range module. The AC/5's being fired together provide a strong and quick enough punch to get great crit kills on stripped CT's. I used to have a bigger engine (XL280) and less AC/5 ammo, but I dropped it to an XL255 for enough ammo to last during longer matches.

This mech and build just feels so good to play and makes for some really satisfying kills.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 17 September 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#2 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

Thats pretty much my build for the Wolverine 6R variant except I have a crap ton more ammo and a MPL for the single energy slot. You think the AC5 fires fast in your build? Try it on the 6R with the cooldown module. You burn through ammo stupid fast.

That being said I'm thrilled you posted this because I love putting 2 or 3 AC 5's on mechs. I know I'm gonna be doing it on the Marauder and I don't have the Trebuchets yet. So once I do I have a go to build :)

Edited by Lorian Sunrider, 17 September 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#3 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 17 September 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

Thats pretty much my build for the Wolverine 6R variant except I have a crap ton more ammo and a MPL for the single energy slot. You think the AC5 fires fast in your build? Try it on the 6R with the cooldown module. You burn through ammo stupid fast.

That being said I'm thrilled you posted this because I love putting 2 or 3 AC 5's on mechs. I know I'm gonna be doing it on the Marauder and I don't have the Trebuchets yet. So once I do I have a go to build :)

Awesome! I do own a 6R but I don't like playing it because I tend to lose arms faster than I would a torso. However, I cannot deny that it does fire faster. An advantage the Treb has is the higher mount for both sets of weapons.

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 17 September 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#4 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

I run a gauss and an ER ppc on the 7K. Decent mech.

#5 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 17 September 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

I like that 2 AC/5 build on my 6R too. I put them on chain fire and can pretty much put out AC/5 shells as fast as I can pull the trigger. Sure, you can do the same thing for less tons with an ultra, but this is like an ultra that never jams.

#6 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 17 September 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

..but this is like an ultra that never jams.

For only 7 extra tons lol.

#7 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 17 September 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

I don't chain them, and they still fire nearly as fast, and double the damage. So hard to gauge really.

#8 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 17 September 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Sometimes it's worth it to pay a premium for reliability. A jammed ultra is an ultra that isn't damaging your enemy. There are situations where that extra 7 tons could save your life by killing an enemy before he kills you B)

#9 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

I can't believe people are actually admitting to driving Trebuchets in this thread. I've got 5 of my own, so I feel your pain.

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

IV-FOUR does it better and it is a hero mech. :P It also has crazy mobility quirks.

#11 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

tl/dr

"I built a mech that is blessed by Power Ranger Super Quirks and it was fun (for me)"

:mellow:

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 17 September 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

tl/dr

"I built a mech that is blessed by Power Ranger Super Quirks and it was fun (for me)"

:mellow:

Are you really accusing the TREBUCHET of all mechs of having too powerful quirks?

#13 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

Can LB10x Centurions join in as well? Because those things are hilarious when chasing down Arctic Cheetahs that get spooked by all the smoke, explosions, and rattle (and almost no damage, due to spread).

#14 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:35 PM

I used to run this when it had 2 tube launchers in its arms TBT-7K

Was surprisingly a lot more successful than it looked and was thoroughly enjoyable to pilot.

Stupid dynamic weapon geometry :angry:

#15 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 September 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

IV-FOUR does it better and it is a hero mech. :P It also has crazy mobility quirks.

See i've been told to stay away from this one. I could've gotten it on sale last weekend, but I feel that the arms would go waaaaaay too quick.

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 17 September 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

See i've been told to stay away from this one. I could've gotten it on sale last weekend, but I feel that the arms would go waaaaaay too quick.

When you stare the enemy using you hyper quirked AC5s, the last thing the enemy will shoot at is your arm. And unlike the WVR-6R, and the TBT-7K, the loss of one section does not mean the IV-FOUR will lose all its main weapons--so the enemy has no single section to focus on, aside from the CT.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 September 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#17 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 17 September 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

Are you really accusing the TREBUCHET of all mechs of having too powerful quirks?

Yes, I am. You've proven yourself able to read and comprehend.

I will explain what I mean:
The Trebuchet has always been, and should be, a *missile*-centric mech, preferable Long Range Missiles.

Prior to quirks, it served as a decent 50 ton missile-toter. The reason you don't see many of them now is the same you don't see many missile boats anymore altogether: ECM has earned its nickname of "Jesus Box", it's become more common with almost every wave of new 'Mechs being released, and it's extremely difficult to take a missile loadout & the necessary anti-ECM equipment (BAP and TAG, minimum, imo) on a 50 ton 'Mech and still be able to carry enough missile tubes & ammunition for them to be effective.

My Founder's Catapult barely gets by, and it has 15 more tons to play with than the Trebuchet does.

The fact that other 'Mechs are leaps and bounds ahead of the Trebuchet solely thanks to Power Ranger Super Quirks ™ only makes the problem worse.

If you want to see more Trebuchets in the game, here's the steps you take:
1. Remove all weapon quirks
2. Complete the "balance pass" in full, including equipment (specifically for ECM, bringing it down to MW4:Mercs/MW:LL levels of utility)
3. Switch LRMs from being focused on indirect support by making them faster and more accurate (or at least same accuracy across all types of launchers that can only be increased with Artemis), but requiring more accuracy with the aiming reticule (no more waving the reticule over the target repeatedly for mere moments and calling it good). This, in combination with the information warfare changes that will happen - an early "alpha" version of which exists on the current PTS - will I think make missiles useful in a new way without being overpowering.

Certainly, that particular Trebuchet build will play more like a Hunchback or 50-ton Shadowhawk than a true Trebuchet, but that's what makes having variants of a 'Mech chassis fun - variety.

Edited by Telmasa, 17 September 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#18 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

I would try it!

but the 22nd...

#19 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 17 September 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

I will explain what I mean:
The Trebuchet has always been, and should be, a *missile*-centric mech, preferable Long Range Missiles.

The 7K isn't a missile variant.

Stock build: TBT-7K

That variant doesn't look like an LRM boat to me, or even a missile boat in general.

Prior to quirks, it served as a decent 50 ton missile-toter. The reason you don't see many of them now is the same you don't see many missile boats anymore altogether: ECM has earned its nickname of "Jesus Box", it's become more common with almost every wave of new 'Mechs being released, and it's extremely difficult to take a missile loadout & the necessary anti-ECM equipment (BAP and TAG, minimum, imo) on a 50 ton 'Mech and still be able to carry enough missile tubes & ammunition for them to be effective.
-

Do you not remember this game's metagame history?

The Trebuchet was poop when it first arrived, always has been poop and always will be. If you delete ECM it will still be lacking.

The fact that other 'Mechs are leaps and bounds ahead of the Trebuchet solely thanks to Power Ranger Super Quirks ™ only makes the problem worse.
-

The Trebuchet was a bottem-tier mech before quirks existed. It was known as the worst medium in the game until the Vindicator came along to contest that title.

Going on a soapbox crusade against quirks won't save the mech, because it's poorly designed at its very core.

In fact, quirks are the only thing that can attempt to counteract a mech's innate design flaws, other than redesigning the mech from the ground up to function nothing like it did in Battletech.

Edited by FupDup, 17 September 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#20 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

View PostFupDup, on 17 September 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

The Trebuchet was a bottem-tier mech before quirks existed. It was known as the worst medium in the game until the Vindicator came along to contest that title.

I didn't think that was possible, but it's a perfect KO.

Going on a soapbox crusade against quirks won't save the mech, because it's poorly designed at its very core.

He's pro-clan, thus he's oblivious to bad IS mechs.

In fact, quirks are the only thing that can attempt to counteract a mech's innate design flaws, other than redesigning the mech from the ground up to function nothing like it did in Battletech.

Would be nice to fix the Raven's leg hitboxes so it wouldn't need more internal structure for the leg, but that's Lostech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users