Black Knight: Weapon Hardpoints And Quriks

9 replies to this topic

#1 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

I am really curious if PGI stays true to their own balancing concept and takes the position of the weapon into account when applying quirks. Currently the BK looks like having an Awesome syndrome with low, lower and even much lower hardpoints.

While the Awesome has some serious quriking it doenst not really help to make it appear on the battlefield a lot.
I had it so many times with my Battlemaster that I was shooting mechs over a hill without retreating because I knew the other mech cannot fire back.
It is really frustrating if you see an enemy and you cannot fire on it.

Thats why I also expect some serious quriks for the BK to make up for the low hardpoints.
For example on the bonus variant something like 20% large laser heat generation (10% generic / 10% specific), 20% medium laser range (10% generic / 10% specific) , 12,5%
duration and something like 15% generic energy cooldown qurik.

What quriks would you expect to compensate for the low slots?

Edited by Antares102, 18 September 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#2 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:11 AM

+ 14 structure

#3 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

From the way things have been going, I'd assume they aren't going to do a lot of offensive quirks, since they're trying to get away from those.

Probably get some kind of durability and mobility quirks, some 5-7.5% energy range or heat quirks, if that.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

Same or less than the grass hopper.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:21 AM

The thing is, the Orion is supposed to be a more durable 75-tonner than the BK. So I'd be surprised if the BK's defining feature is durability. It'll certainly need to be part of it, to make up for the fact that you need to expose so much mech in order to shoot, but it'll probably need something more.

It comes with a BAP stock, so I expect the BK to eventually have some wicked sensor quirks, with different variants being given long range or short range sensor buffs to encourage brawling or sniping.

Other than that, what are its defining characteristics according to Sarna? It's not armor, it's not speed or mobility. It has lots of guns, BAP and is described as a 'command battlemech' with advanced communication gear. Since we have no game mechanics to represent the command role in MWO and since weapon quirks are kept to a minimum, I guess the Infotech will be the main thing, along with structure quirks.

#6 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

Alistair, I only said durability and mobility because that's the direction they've mentioned going in for all IS mechs.

Of course if we get that nightmare of info war we saw on PTS, I'm sure it would be quirked to work with that as well.

Main point was that I'd be surprised if it got much in the way of offensive quirks with PGI's balance direction.

#7 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

Since the Arctic Cheeta was so well received, I think it's going to be a long time before we ever see a Teir 1 mech again from PGI.

The defining trait of the Black Knight should be how it shrugs off losing a leg as merely a flesh wound. I say 90% Speed Retention quirks baked in for starters and go from there.

#8 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostAlphaToaster, on 18 September 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

The defining trait of the Black Knight should be how it shrugs off losing a leg as merely a flesh wound. I say 90% Speed Retention quirks baked in for starters and go from there.

Amazing

#9 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostDuke Nedo, on 18 September 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

+ 14 structure

per leg.

#10 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:35 AM

Honestly?

I expect minimal + worthless quirks. Arm structure quirks, ERPPC speed buffs, lowering burn time for ERLLs (it's not a poking mech - hardpoints too low), that sort of thing.

It would need flat out insane cooldown and heat reduction quirks to make it competitive because it has to make up for the fact that all its major opponents will have the ability to shoot it when it can't shoot back.

It's going to be Tier 3. Inferior to the Grasshopper. Expecting otherwise will just make you sad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users