169 replies to this topic

#21 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 18 September 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

the way they keep assigning event rewards like this to functionally random factors is really frustrating

I mean, if you want to have a leaderboard dominated by people who have the time to spend hundreds of games looking for the perfect 8 or 10, fine. But make the general rewards something earned steadily rather than something that's essentially random.

Rather than one 400 point game on each map, require a total of 2000 aggregate match score on each map (or whatever.)

Making progress toward a goal is fun; getting rewards because the stars randomly align isn't fun.

Neither is getting rewards just because you spent enough time doing something, on it's own.

#22 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

This couldnt be more right. I have both scores 300 and 400 on forest colony and random other maps. But thats because half the matches I get forest colony. :)

This event should be a week long event. LOL maybe it is I didnt check yet. :)

View PostLugh, on 18 September 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

Neither is getting rewards just because you spent enough time doing something, on it's own.

The top scorers are doing a little more than spending time since they somehow have 8 kills + 1200 damage. :)

Mass Synch drop FTW! Also dont even bother with the Galaxy map challenge thats fixed for sure. I see a blatant farmer has top spot at the moment and I know this because I have seen him farming. If someone doesnt like I say that then stop cheating openly. I dare him to deny it to. I called him out for farming during a match before because I seen him meeting other team mechs to side of battle and them shooting past him at me. :) 100% true.

A question. Is the group queue included in this?

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 September 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#23 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostLugh, on 18 September 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

Actually that would be great.

You'd have an incentive to play a lot of matches, which is the whole point of the events, but you could enjoy the game itself as it's meant to be played without getting frustrated by low scores or losses.

#24 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

One thing I would like to see though is the ratio of Inner Sphere vrs Clan mechs that complete these challenges.

Galaxy map doesnt count because like I say the top spot is an Inner Sphere farmer with alot of Clan friends. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 September 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#25 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 18 September 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

In fact, if I'm understanding this correctly, in those 8-9 matches I've gotten:

12 days premium
1200 MC
12 million c-bills
2 cockpit item packs
2 consumable packs.

For essentially 4 really good matches! I got 60% of the c-bills from last event's grind for 20 million (40 games) in 4 matches. That's 10% and that is before you count the other stuff too!

You aren't understanding it correctly.

You get the prize pack for getting 3-400 on every map listed, not just for some.

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 September 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

A question. Is the group queue included in this?

Yes.

Edited by Kodyn, 18 September 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#26 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostKodyn, on 18 September 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

You get the prize pack for getting 3-400 on every map listed, not just for some.

Yes.

Well then none of the numbers for Clan vrs Inner Sphere challenge completion count.

Also I am not worried about being moderated since I am 100% legit and talking about blantant common knowledge cheats. :) It would be like someone running around naked in the field in broad daylight and someone getting in trouble for saying "Hey theres a naked guy running around on the field!"

https://www.youtube....e&v=MVz_dREJ9_k

More on topic, I will be happy to get the 300 challenge done and thats not easy.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 September 2015 - 01:03 PM.

#27 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostKodyn, on 18 September 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

Oh shitballs. Reading comp is hard.

Now I don't care at all and understand the complaining.

Edited by Lorian Sunrider, 18 September 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#28 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 September 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Allahu Akbar! Just enough points for this map. :lol:

Posted Image

LOL Nasty. In that screen you posted only 3 players on the winning team and 5 on the losing team had a high enough match score to get a point. That is only 1/3 of the players in the match and if that would hold up then completing the tournament will require even more matches.

#29 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostMawai, on 18 September 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

LOL Nasty. In that screen you posted only 3 players on the winning team and 5 on the losing team had a high enough match score to get a point. That is only 1/3 of the players in the match and if that would hold up then completing the tournament will require even more matches.

I'm seeing numbers like that, only less qualifiers even.

Normally I'd say I do around 250-350 score average, and see around that from a majority of players. People trying too hard to game this event are causing a lot more sub-par scoring however.

Can't tell you how many 275-290 match scores I'm seeing last night and today, from myself and others. Tad frustrating, but that's why I gave up on really worrying about it.

#30 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

i just need mining collective (396) and tourmaline (350) -_- but i keep getting river city and caustic 2-1 to every other map.

would have been nice for the tourny to prioritize you for maps you still need to get.

not really appreciating the random either.

Edited by Mellifluer, 18 September 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#31 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

I dont mind challenges being hard by why is it RNG? You can play for 8 hours straight and not even see all the maps....

1) challenges should not be RNG ever. That means not map dependent, not dependent on your team winning, etc... anything beyond the players control should not be part of a challenge.

2) challenges should be based on personal merit only. Only things the player has full control over should effect the challenge. If a challenge requires your team to win thats not a good challenge. Because a player has no control over that.

As for getting 300-400 match score... its pretty easy in a dire wolf :P

Edited by Khobai, 18 September 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#32 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

I only seem to be getting good matches in Viridian Bog. (I got like 5 400+ matches there), but everywhere else, i can't even break 300.

It's ridiculous xD

#33 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

I would be curious to know what the completion data will look like at the end of this event. Particularly compared to say the last one, what percentage of players completed it.

#34 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 September 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

I dont mind challenges being hard by why is it RNG? You can play for 8 hours straight and not even see all the maps....

1) challenges should not be RNG ever. That means not map dependent, not dependent on your team winning, etc... anything beyond the players control should not be part of a challenge.

2) challenges should be based on personal merit only. Only things the player has full control over should effect the challenge. If a challenge requires your team to win thats not a good challenge. Because a player has no control over that.

As for getting 300-400 match score... its pretty easy in a dire wolf :P

I'd like to agree with you, but even when they heavily weight the new maps I've never had a long play session where I did not see all the maps.

#35 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

Best thing to do is not try for it. If you get it great, if not who cares. It's only a few bucks at most worth of rewards.

#36 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

I have to wonder, if you get 400 pts your first go on a given map, does it count for BOTH tiers simultaneously?

#37 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, from the looks of things, I'll likely have an easier time trying to complete Clubstep with all three coins in Geometry Dash than trying to get even the tier 1 public match packages.

#38 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

View Postcdlord, on 18 September 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

I have to wonder, if you get 400 pts your first go on a given map, does it count for BOTH tiers simultaneously?

Since they only list your highest score for each map I would assume a single score will count for both tiers if high enough.

#39 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

yes it counts for both

#40 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostMawai, on 18 September 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Hi All,

Once again PGI fails at math.

http://mwomercs.com/tournaments

We have a territorial challenge this weekend where you need to get a match score or 300+ and 400+ on each of 9 maps in the public queue in order to get a prize.

Sounds good right? Maybe 20 games if you get good results ... maybe 40 if you only make the match score on half?

Unfortunately wrong since it doesn't factor in the random selection of maps. It is most likely that you will be hard pressed to get that last map you need and getting that last map is usually going to take a while.

Here is a link to the math ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon_collector's_problem

TLDR ... to get one match on each of the 9 maps will on average require on average 26 matches (sometimes a lot more) and that doesn't factor in whether you make the match score or not.

Getting 2 matches on each is the same as collecting 18 coupons in the table so on average it will take 63 matches just to get 2 matches on each map.

NOW factor in the match score.

How easy is it to get a match score of 300? 400? Do you see that 50% of the time? More? Less? Factor that in and you will need upwards of 120 matches in the public queue to complete just the public queue challenges.

Given how long a CW match takes ... it will take about 38 matches to get 2 games on each of the 6 maps. Hope it is easy to get a match score of 200 or 300 since with requiring an average of 38 CW matches seems to me will take most of the weekend just to see the maps.

LOL. PGI and math just do not go together.

I suspect there may be an IMMENSE amount of FRUSTRATION with this current tournament as the weekend rolls on ... as folks try to get that last match on that last map with the minimum required match score. A few will get lucky ... the rest ... well I will leave that to your imagination.

roflmao

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users