Pgi - Please Explain The Cw Scoring Systemq

39 replies to this topic

#1 W i L d F i R 3

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

PGI - I would like an explanation about the current match scoring system for Community Warfare.

I took screen shots from 2 different CW matches, and pasted them together. Please explain to me how 2 Kills, 15 assists and 977 damage is worthy of a higher match score than 13 Kills, 25 assists, and 4336 damage?

I know why, its because the scoring system is kind of wacky at the moment. The scoring system used mechs lost as a coefficient to the formula.

I am very glad you decided to do the recent challenge, and I greatly appreciate the Tier 1 and 2 rewards you are offering. Kudos to you all.

What bothers me, is that you make this into a tournament also, where everyone is battling for the top 10. Some have already figured out that you can sandbag, do a decent damage, grab a few kills and assist, and get a good match score as long as you dont die. the problem with this, is it forces other teammates to have to carry even harder because half the team is hiding to keep from dying.

Another problem with this, is it makes everyone want to run nothing but ER LL builds, and do extreme long fighting. Also, the Gauss ERPPC jump sniper mode has been re-engaged, because you can do high kills and damage, while keeping distance and presenting little for the opponents to counter attack with.

Basically, this tournament is making everyone want to exploit what you worked so hard to stop in the first place.

Wasn't the whole Ghost heat, Jump Jet nerf, Gauss timing, Gauss/PPC speed change, done to prevent such stagnant game play?

Another issue, is this turns into a tournament where the winners will likely be the people who have a set of friends who are good enough to tank for them, and nice enough to let them snipe the kills once the mech has been disabled.

We all know, that you have caught people sinc dropping in the past, only to let their clan mates on the other team, damage farm their mechs. I am just curious is this what you really want to promote?
Posted Image

Here is another funny one. According to match score, I am more than 2x Valuable to team and end result than Leon.

Posted Image

This thread is apparently locked now, but i can still edit it. So here is more proof that the challenge is going to be exploited. what is sad, is that PGI was trying to do something honest, and give everyone who wanted to play, free items, even MC. These prize packs are great. Its a shame that we end up having players exploit the system like this. This one really brings shame to the event. Clearly, a 12 man team, took a bunch of alt accounts, grouped them together, and went and sync dropped on a map that wad 0 attackers and 0 defenders. This way, they were sure to meet up. they then proceeded to beat the crap out of the Alt Accounts. They also give one teammate the chance to get a 7289 match score, for 1 map. The other 11 player rewards are, they get a check in the box for that map. Since they are the only one dropping on that planet, they can just cycle this 6 times, and have all 6 matches complete. All 12 had a match score of over 400. They didn't deserve it, they didn't earn it. They should have their accounts suspended, at least, until after the challenge ends, just to prove a point.

This is what is wrong with this game, people constantly take advantage of it. No wonder PGI doesnt want to work with us. they try and do something fun and nice for the community, and people go and abuse it. Really really makes me sick. I hope there is some kind of rule in the TOS, that will see the removal of these 12 players.

Posted Image

Edited by Lucy Lui, 18 September 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#2 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, this scoring system and tourney combo just promotes people playing selfishly. PGI please address.

#3 Frack the System

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

Perfectly explained Lui !
I would like an explanation on that aswell, this just promotes exploiting and horrible gameplay !

The matchscoring system allready worked, why did you change/break it ?

Edited by Frack the System, 18 September 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#4 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

higher ping = higher score

bonus points for the handicap :lol:

Edited by cSand, 18 September 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#5 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

Not losing a single mech trumps everything.

It's stupid as ****.

#6 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostLucy Lui, on 18 September 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

This one is just comical... According to the match score, I was 2x more valuable to the team and end result than Leon.

Posted Image

Your answer is right in front of you. The number of dead mechs is a divisor of the match score.

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

PGI said:

Don't die scrub.

It's great that PGI puts together their own match score system, but fails to understand the impact of their own telemetry.

It ends up that bad players will play too conservatively to "wishfully" keep their match score high, but the good players will get penalized for sacrificing themselves for a win.

It's "Guinness brilliant".

#8 Frack the System

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 18 September 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Your answer is right in front of you. The number of dead mechs is a divisor of the match score.

He knows this Captain Obvious.
Still does not explain why PGI would want to do that dividing when you can exploit it the way Lucy Lui clearly showed here.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Each mech you use divides your score.

Don't die? 100%. Use all 4 mechs? 25% score

Die even once? Half.

50% of your damage is Match Score, with other things adding various amounts.
Rough, semi-accurate table:
Posted Image

Take a screenshot and add everything up. Then divide by the mechs you used. Last time I did that, I was 17 points off...but I'd say that's close enough to be a possibility, when you're talking 700 points.

Posted Image

So, 1200 Match Score from damage alone, plus 36 from Killing Blows and 81 from Assists, everything adds up.

Throw up all the bonuses on a ScreenShot and do the math, you should get roughly (let's say +/-50) Match Score from using that table. All protection bonuses were 2, and the unknowns...save them for last.

Edited by Mcgral18, 18 September 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#10 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostFrack the System, on 18 September 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

He knows this Captain Obvious.
Still does not explain why PGI would want to do that dividing when you can exploit it the way Lucy Lui clearly showed here.

Um no. Exploiting by getting really high damage, kills, etc and not dying? Are you even serious?

#11 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 18 September 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Um no. Exploiting by getting really high damage, kills, etc and not dying? Are you even serious?

In what universe is 977 "really high damage" in a CW game?

#12 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostLucy Lui, on 18 September 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

PGI - I would like an explanation about the current match scoring system for Community Warfare. I took screen shots from 2 different CW matches, and pasted them together. Please explain to me how 2 Kills, 15 assists and 977 damage is worthy of a higher match score than 13 Kills, 25 assists, and 4336 damage? I know why, its because the scoring system is kind of wacky at the moment. The scoring system used mechs lost as a coefficient to the formula. I am very glad you decided to do the recent challenge, and I greatly appreciate the Tier 1 and 2 rewards you are offering. Kudos to you all. What bothers me, is that you make this into a tournament also, where everyone is battling for the top 10. Some have already figured out that you can sandbag, do a decent damage, grab a few kills and assist, and get a good match score as long as you dont die. the problem with this, is it forces other teammates to have to carry even harder because half the team is hiding to keep from dying. Another problem with this, is it makes everyone want to run nothing but ER LL builds, and do extreme long fighting. Also, the Gauss ERPPC jump sniper mode has been re-engaged, because you can do high kills and damage, while keeping distance and presenting little for the opponents to counter attack with. Basically, this tournament is making everyone want to exploit what you worked so hard to stop in the first place. Wasn't the whole Ghost heat, Jump Jet nerf, Gauss timing, Gauss/PPC speed change, done to prevent such stagnant game play? Another issue, is this turns into a tournament where the winners will likely be the people who have a set of friends who are good enough to tank for them, and nice enough to let them snipe the kills once the mech has been disabled. We all know, that you have caught people sinc dropping in the past, only to let their clan mates on the other team, damage farm their mechs. I am just curious is this what you really want to promote? Posted Image Here is another funny one. According to match score, I am more than 2x Valuable to team and end result than Leon. Posted Image

You get a rediculously large bonus for not losing any mechs in CW...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...26be47ccc61adbe

Poke at long range, wracking up assists, components and flanking bonuses....

If your team wins you're usually wracking up 750 points and up.

#13 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 18 September 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Wasn't referring to the that game, was referring to the 584 match score 4336 damage game with 4 deaths. With no deaths it would be some 2000ish point match score. Trying to get that as an exploit would be difficult to say the least.

To survive with all your mechs usually means your team won, resoundingly.

EDIT: Well, looking at the leaderboard, looks like this has happened....

Edited by EgoSlayer, 18 September 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#14 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 18 September 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Wasn't referring to the that game, was referring to the 584 match score 4336 damage game with 4 deaths. With no deaths it would be some 2000ish point match score. Trying to get that as an exploit would be difficult to say the least.

To survive with all your mechs usually means your team won, resoundingly.

I'm confused.

I'm fairly sure the "exploit" he was referring to was sitting back, doing 977 damage, and getting a higher match score than the 4.3k damage game.

#15 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostLucy Lui, on 18 September 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

PGI - I would like an explanation about the current match scoring system for Community Warfare.

I took screen shots from 2 different CW matches, and pasted them together. Please explain to me how 2 Kills, 15 assists and 977 damage is worthy of a higher match score than 13 Kills, 25 assists, and 4336 damage?

I know why, its because the scoring system is kind of wacky at the moment. The scoring system used mechs lost as a coefficient to the formula.

I am very glad you decided to do the recent challenge, and I greatly appreciate the Tier 1 and 2 rewards you are offering. Kudos to you all.

What bothers me, is that you make this into a tournament also, where everyone is battling for the top 10. Some have already figured out that you can sandbag, do a decent damage, grab a few kills and assist, and get a good match score as long as you dont die. the problem with this, is it forces other teammates to have to carry even harder because half the team is hiding to keep from dying.

Another problem with this, is it makes everyone want to run nothing but ER LL builds, and do extreme long fighting. Also, the Gauss ERPPC jump sniper mode has been re-engaged, because you can do high kills and damage, while keeping distance and presenting little for the opponents to counter attack with.

Basically, this tournament is making everyone want to exploit what you worked so hard to stop in the first place.

Wasn't the whole Ghost heat, Jump Jet nerf, Gauss timing, Gauss/PPC speed change, done to prevent such stagnant game play?

Another issue, is this turns into a tournament where the winners will likely be the people who have a set of friends who are good enough to tank for them, and nice enough to let them snipe the kills once the mech has been disabled.

We all know, that you have caught people sinc dropping in the past, only to let their clan mates on the other team, damage farm their mechs. I am just curious is this what you really want to promote?
Posted Image

Here is another funny one. According to match score, I am more than 2x Valuable to team and end result than Leon.

Posted Image

It looks to me if you use moar lrms you get better results... IE lower kills, more assists and lower damage as well

#16 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostLORD ORION, on 18 September 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

You get a rediculously large bonus for not losing any mechs in CW...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...26be47ccc61adbe

Poke at long range, wracking up assists, components and flanking bonuses....

If your team wins you're usually wracking up 750 points and up.

So I was right, use LRMs and profit

#17 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 18 September 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

I'm confused.

I'm fairly sure the "exploit" he was referring to was sitting back, doing 977 damage, and getting a higher match score than the 4.3k damage game.

Which requires that you win, overwhelmingly. Still unlikely if people are sandbagging unless they are on a group drop that carries them. If you can get 11 or more of your teammates to carry you for the minimum 3 hours worth of matches, more power to you. But you never know what people will do for free stuff, maybe it will happen. EDIT: Looks like it has happened. Be interesting to see if PGI does anything.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 18 September 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#18 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 18 September 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

In my Universe, apparently.

#19 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 18 September 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

So I was right, use LRMs and profit

4 more days till we get public PSR and we can confirm that T1 is comprised entirely by pugger LRM boats and half of SJR/EmP's tournament roster is sitting in Tiers 2 and 3 because reasons.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 18 September 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#20 Frack the System

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 18 September 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Dohhhh....
Using one mech, getting as much kills, assists and damage as possible then (when close to dying) just sit at the spawn and let the rest of the team do the "work" is NOT exploiting to you, interesting.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users